Black Oxide Finish Hex Cap Screws Wanted.

mikewest

Im reinstalling  restored fenders on a 1930s Franklin . I want to use black oxide hardware 1/4 and 5/16 inch  and some 3/8 inch diameter. Who sells Black oxide?? I really prefer no hardness marks as well. Any ideas? Mike 

I just had a email to checkout Graingers They have low strength, black and no head markings. Exactly what I want for  fenders, splash aprons , running boards ect. Nothing looks worse  that hardware zink plated with hardness marks and sloppy black paint on them.  Thanks for your reply!

• Like 1

Black oxide just rusts here in the rusty east. But if you keep the car in a garage and never wash it, might be OK.😉

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mikewest said:

Im reinstalling  restored fenders on a 1930s Franklin . I want to use black oxide hardware 1/4 and 5/16 inch  and some 3/8 inch diameter. Who sells Black oxide?? I really prefer no hardness marks as well. Any ideas? Mike 

Mike, As one responder said McMaster Carr sells black oxide hardware. They also sell plain steel hardware that you can oxidize yourself. There are many suppliers of the chemicals for black oxide. Also if you just want to do a few, most gun shops sell small bottles/cans of the oxide chemicals in blue, black and brown.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, playswithbrass said:

I just discovered a supplier called Blacksmith Bolt & Rivet Supply in Oregon. Fantastic service, got hardware I had been looking for for ages. 

That's a great lead. I for one thank you for posting it.

I buy all my hardware from McMaster-Carr, great delivery time, usually the next day and great price.  A lot easier than picking thru my local hardware store.

On 1/8/2022 at 9:59 AM, hook said:

Mike, As one responder said McMaster Carr sells black oxide hardware. They also sell plain steel hardware that you can oxidize yourself. There are many suppliers of the chemicals for black oxide. Also if you just want to do a few, most gun shops sell small bottles/cans of the oxide chemicals in blue, black and brown.

Good idea.