What is the best Buick from 1946 through 1958.

Ohjai

I am seriously considering a 53 Special, because my Father-in-Law gave one to me and my Bride when we got married in 1960.  

Doing my reading and research, I am finding all the cars from this era fascinating.  What do you think?  Best, weakest, recommendations, what to avoid, etc.

Lets hear what you have to say.

Thanks

Jim

Oh boy!  This could be a dangerous topic.  😉

I would start with the 56 and offer the following reasons:

The 56 had improvements in engine output with 255 hp. Also a 56 Dynaflow had some changes that influenced driveability. But it also has some "one year only" parts which could impact repairability. But it is a great driving car. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That's a wide range of model years and it covers a number of significant design updates (e.g., straight-8 to V-8 and 'torpedo' body to more conventional 'box-on-a-box').  The common denominator will be the Dynaflow connected to a torque-tube.  In my opinion, there are pluses and minuses for each of the Buicks in this range, so if it were me, I'd simply look for the car that I like best.  To narrow your search I suggest you decide on major characteristics that you want.  This would be things like straight-8 vs. V-8, coupe, sedan, convertible or 'Riviera' (i.e., pillarless 2 or 4-door).

Whatever year(s) you finally settle on for your search, buy the best example that you can afford.  Spending a little more on a car in better condition up-front will pay dividends later.  Even with that, I would set aside an additional 10 ~ 15% to cover issues that crop-up once you begin racking-up some miles.  Good luck with your search.  Let the hunt begin!  ;)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Performance, technical specs and reliability are all secondary concerns.  The most important concern is your history with any particular model or the emotional attachment to the appearance that strikes your fancy.  None will make you rich, all of them have a high potential to leave you stranded somewhere and all of them will draw attention.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Although each year's models look similar you need to slide behind the wheel and experience the difference between a Special and a Roadmaster for any given year.

If you haven't done it you will remember the moment. It's beyond super.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I really appreciate all of your comments, I am in the research and learning process from all of you.

I'm leaning towards the 53, I like the round body shape more the the beginning of the boxes.  What are the advantages/disadvantages of the straight 8 vs the V8?

I like the idea of drive a Special then a Roadmaster, but other than at a meet, I think that would be a bit difficult. 

For the last ten years I was playing with the RR and Bentleys, went from 9 of them down to 2.  Have two pre WWII Cadillacs and one 62 Buick.  I am enjoying the simpler way of doing things and the ease of working on the US cars, although some of the US parts are more difficult to get than the English ones.  US parts are much less expensive though.

Jim

• Like 2

I think i would go with Jim here,--with 1953--i am probably biased ,as some of you will know, i restored and owned National  winning 1953

Buick Skylark  76x convertible,--30 thirty years  ago in US.

And the special is a really lovely looking Buick, as all specials were  deluxe models with  bright sweep spears, and 

rocker panel mouldings, interiors were cloth , except for convertibles trimmed in leather.

The advantages and disadvantages -- straight eight ---V8--not that many, if both are in top shape,-but the v8  was probably

a little better ,  because after all was the latest from Buick for the first time,--i do prefer to drive with Dynaflow,  than  a manual. 

That year  the 7000.000 millionth  Buick was built, and Dynaflow was used  in 80 percent of production. 

Sorry about bad photos---no digital those days.

002.JPG

P1100505.JPG

• Like 5

I did a comparison using photos from the web.  49 to 54, from left to right.  It helps me see the differences.  The 53 Roadmaster is 0.2" longer than my 89 Silver  Spur.

101854804_49-54BuickComparison3viewreduced.jpg.c1af56e2ec370e8c6b3e59cd60b4353f.jpg

• Like 4

Neat question!

Some of us like picanha, some roast, some meatloaf...

I leaned towards the '54. Round yet boxy. Refined but means business. Classy yet bold...

Thankfully it takes many types to keep the passion going.

• Like 3

Tbh I love the 49 style but I loved my 54 Special.  It was bulletproof and never let me down.  Drove her from NY to VA without a hitch.  She went to OC MD, Southern VA, PA, etc.  Never failed and she was amazing on gas (for a car of her era).

• Like 3

On 1/5/2022 at 6:26 PM, avgwarhawk said:

Buy the one that you admire the most

Just like a woman, you'll know it when you see it, let the passion drive you. I still get a stirring when viewing a side view of a '54 Roadmaster with its french curved roof line laying so eloquently on that slab sided body. If I had six stalls in my barn to fill with the years you mentioned.....

'54 Roadmaster 2 dr ht

112588_Rear_3-4_Web.JPG

'54 Century 2 dr ht

1954 Buick Century Riviera Coupe | T212 | Dallas 2015

'53 Skylark

KimballStock_AUT 21 RK2619 01_preview

'48 Special Sedanet

1948 Buick Special - Information and photos - MOMENTcar

'49 Roadmaster Convertible

1949' Buick Roadmaster Convertible for sale. United States

'58 Century Caballero (edited)

CC201-RESTO-58-Buick-R3Qtr_8830-3.jpg