Yuma AZ plank road circa 1910-1915

RimrockRandy

The archive does not list a date for this photo. The earliest plank road across the sand dunes near Yuma supposedly were built around 1910.  California supposedly took over mgmt. of the plank road in 1915 and installed a much "better" plank system.  So, I am guessing this photo is circa 1910-1915.

I am hoping the ever-astute members of this esteemed Forum can ID this vehicle. There "should" be enough features visible to determine its make, model and vintage.  I am working on trying to get a match using the faint license plate. (Note added after initial post: Looks like maybe a 1914-1915 California plate.)

In any event, it would have been a genuine adventure crossing those sand dunes on planks 'back in the day'.

The source of the photo is here: https://azmemory.azlibrary.gov/digital/collection/histphotos/id/27915/rec/298

Thank YOU for your help!  John Parsons

Here's some background on the plank road:
https://azdot.gov/adot-blog/plank-road-was-once-way-between-yuma-and-san-diego

plank01.jpg

plank02.jpg

plank03.png

Edited by RimrockRandy
to add license plate note & plank road background (see edit history)
  • Like 4

This is fascinating stuff. According to most references I can find, construction on the original road with the longitudinal planks as shown above was started in Feb 1915 and finished two months later, so the banner on the car might indicate that this is the first vehicle across or something like that. Construction on the more robust lateral plank road that replaced it started in 1916. The paved road replaced it in 1926. The remaining historic site has remnants of both plank versions.

zOld%20Plank%20Road0.jpg

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

"This is fascinating stuff...the longitudinal planks as shown above was started in Feb 1915 and finished two months later."  
THANKS, Joe.  You did some great research on that plank road.  Good Work! The banner uses the word "Holtville" in addition to Yuma.  As near as I can tell, Holtville is the first community on the west side of the sand dunes.  Look real close on the top of that banner and I think it uses the words "stage line". Maybe some of those people were paying passengers.  I'd sure hate to be out there in that car in a windstorm!

• Like 1

It does say "stage line". I'd like to know what that first word is. Apparently the road was about 6.5 miles long. 3,000 cars a week on the early two track version is amazing. Thanks for posting this.

A few references:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Plank_Road

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/old-plank-road

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/8219-old-plank-road.html

• Like 2

I recall my grandfather talking about driving over that plank road when he was young.

Back in the old US-80 days and even into at least the 1970s after US-80 was replaced by I-8 you could see lots of sections of the lateral plank road from the current highway. In recent decades there has been a off highway vehicle park near there and all traces visible from I-8 are gone.

That's a Studebaker. It is possibly a 1913, not an SA-25 like mine (those still had acetylene lights), but possibly a "35" or a "6". I can't see the steering wheel. In 1913, it was still on the right. I think I see a spare tire on the right side of the car, which argues for right hand drive. There was no door on the drive side, so it wasn't blocking anything. I believe 1914 had left hand drive for the US market.

Here's a 1913 "35":

49351091967_52f60cf398.jpg

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ply33 said:

I recall my grandfather talking about driving over that plank road when he was young.

Back in the old US-80 days and even into at least the 1970s after US-80 was replaced by I-8 you could see lots of sections of the lateral plank road from the current highway. In recent decades there has been a off highway vehicle park near there and all traces visible from I-8 are gone.

One of the articles I read talked about how campers were stealing the remaining planks for firewood, until several historical societies grabbed what was left and used them in museum exhibits.

• Like 1

GOSH!  Where do I begin to say THANKS to all who have made this post come alive with new information and delightful views of a highway oddity.
Many HUGE THANKS to:  joe_padavanoply33 and 30DodgePanel for their awesome insights into the plank road itself.  And a Huge Shout out to Bloo for identification of the vehicle. Chalk up another great score for Team AACA Forum's "What Is it?". You have given me far more than I ever hoped or expected.  Now my challenge is to write up your information in a meaningful manner for my Arizona History Stories Facebook page.

The old adage "ask * you shall receive" always takes on a whole new meaning every time I pose a question on the AACA Forum.  THANK YOU for helping History come alive.  Your thoughtful consideration and time spent in reply to my query is MUCH appreciated.  THANK YOU!

• Thanks 1

The touring car with the plate number 455(or6?)24 is a Franklin - air cooled so no issue on over heating in the desert. Car dates from 1913 or earlier as that style hood front debuted in 1911. Ralph Hamlin was the Franklin dealer for California and had a number of "desert" races that he took part in to publicize the cars he was selling. He had active sales /dealerships for the entire state of Ca. and published a magazine sent to customers titled the Franklin Camel News. Great multi page publication with photos etc. Hamlin was very active in the dealership association, organizing the annual auto shows  etc.  he became a very wealthy man due to his efforts in car sales.  He was very influential when Franklin whet to a hood front that resembled a radiator shell in the new series 11 of 1925, the start of the "classic" era Franklin appearance. GREAT THREAD/TOPIC

• Like 1

In the first photo, the plate does not appear to be a Calif-issued plate, as the first state-issued plate was a 1914 porcelainized unit, red background with white characters.  One subsequent series of porcelainized plates was white with blue characters used 1917-1919 (at least) each year with a different-shaped metal badge affixed (star, bear).  The first stamped metal plate was, as I recall, 1920. I'm sure we have license plate experts here who can expand on my limited knowledge.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Grimy said:

In the first photo, the plate does not appear to be a Calif-issued plate, as the first state-issued plate was a 1914 porcelainized unit, red background with white characters.  One subsequent series of porcelainized plates was white with blue characters used 1917-1919 (at least) each year with a different-shaped metal badge affixed (star, bear).  The first stamped metal plate was, as I recall, 1920. I'm sure we have license plate experts here who can expand on my limited knowledge.

I noticed that too, makes me wonder if we had a better look at the plate if it might reveal a 1916 AZ plate?

The outer space next to the numbers may have smaller letters but it's hard to tell from the photo.

I think it's important to remember there is no date on the photo but one clue is that the photo is via the AZ State Library in regards to AZ history. 

I'm only guessing but a better enhanced photo may reveal the answer. 

1916Sm5674.jpg

See the source image

See the source image

Edit: I did find another site that suggested the original photo in first post was dated circa 1920. 

Near Yuma, AZ: A Plank Road Across The Sand Dunes - SouthernArizonaGuide.com

Here is a 1920 AZ license plate:

20big.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Many Thanks to Walt G & Grimy for joining this thread.  We appreciate your comments.  The collective discussion on this post has led me to do a deeper dive into the Plank Road than I had planned.  As a result, I found a great 52-year-old article in the  The Journal of San Diego History SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY Spring 1970, Volume 16, Number 2. (Link is below.) 

Anyway, I figured everyone would thoroughly enjoy this quote from the article!

"From 1915 to 1919, travel to and from Yuma could be accomplished in three or four hours, but due to increasingly heavy traffic from 1919 to 1927, the trip length­ened considerably. Many fights broke out over who had the right of way which caused traffic jams of eight to ten cars that could not move until the antagonists settled their argument. Quite often it took many hours to back up the jammed cars to a turnout so the other cars could pass. These fights occurred more frequently the farther one traveled down the road. During this period, trips took as long as two days as traffic jams, fights, and weather caused many delays. Many travelers camped in the middle of the dunes where today a state campground has been pre­served to accommodate weary travelers as in the past. Standard equipment for a trip to Yuma in 1920 to 1927 consisted of extra boards, two auto jacks, gunny sacks, a shovel, food and water for at least two days, and lastly—to be totally prepared—a set of boxing gloves."

https://sandiegohistory.org/journal/1970/april/plank/
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

John, you (and others) may appreciate this also. It goes into details that give insight to the many difficulties traveling the AZ countryside in the early days. Amazingly it goes into detail about directions from one community to another prior to highways and every intersection being marked with road signs. I can't even imagine traveling some parts of this state with these maps, especially in the southern/western state from March-November.

#3 - Routes to desert watering places in the Papago country, Arizona. ... - Full View | HathiTrust Digital Library

• Like 2

Thanks, 30DodgePanel!  That's a Great resource and will take a long time to digest.  However, I went right to a stretch I am familiar with and it's spot on for that time period.  Back in 2017 we decided to study old and current US 89. Then in Spring 2018, we drove every piece of it from Nogales to Piegan, Montana.  The Tucson-Nogales stretch was one of the earliest pieces to be improved for what eventually became US 89 in the mid-20's.  I've always contended that the piece in front of Tumacacori Mission (although now paved) is one of the earliest remaining pieces of the original road that became US 89.  This resource confirms that assertion and is Much Appreciated.  THANK YOU!

1917.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

John, you (and others) may appreciate this also. It goes into details that give insight to the many difficulties traveling the AZ countryside in the early days. Amazingly it goes into detail about directions from one community to another prior to highways and every intersection being marked with road signs. I can't even imagine traveling some parts of this state with these maps, especially in the southern/western state from March-November.

#3 - Routes to desert watering places in the Papago country, Arizona. ... - Full View | HathiTrust Digital Library

The Papago lands are quite a bit to the east of Yuma, a hundred or so miles from where the plank road was. Basically the area west of Tucson to around Ajo and extending south into Mexico. For what it is worth, “Papago” was the name given by the Spanish. They call themselves Tohono O’odham and that is generally what it seems people in Tucson now use (at least the ones I converse with when I am in the area).

Back to the automotive realm. In the 1970s I spent some time in the stacks of the University of Arizona main library and found a bunch of old Arizona Highways magazines. Before the late 1930s it was simply a in-house magazine for the employees of the Arizona Highway Department (thus the name of the magazine). In the late 1930s it evolved into the tourism magazine we still know today. Anyway, the earlier editions had status of all the state highway improvements that were being done. If you are digging into the history of how cars got across and around Arizona in the early days that would be a good resource. If the library hasn’t decided that they were a waste of space and gotten rid of them. Might be worth checking to see if they are still available.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ply33 said:

The Papago lands are quite a bit to the east of Yuma, a hundred or so miles from where the plank road was. Basically the area west of Tucson to around Ajo and extending south into Mexico. For what it is worth, “Papago” was the name given by the Spanish. They call themselves Tohono O’odham and that is generally what it seems people in Tucson now use (at least the ones I converse with when I am in the area).

Back to the automotive realm. In the 1970s I spent some time in the stacks of the University of Arizona main library and found a bunch of old Arizona Highways magazines. Before the late 1930s it was simply a in-house magazine for the employees of the Arizona Highway Department (thus the name of the magazine). In the late 1930s it evolved into the tourism magazine we still know today. Anyway, the earlier editions had status of all the state highway improvements that were being done. If you are digging into the history of how cars got across and around Arizona in the early days that would be a good resource. If the library hasn’t decided that they were a waste of space and gotten rid of them. Might be worth checking to see if they are still available.

HahtiTrust Digital Library have some if someone wanted to spend some time locating them. They may even have the first issue on file but I haven't found it yet.

HathiTrust Digital Library | Millions of books online

#7 - Arizona highways. v.4-5 1928-1929. - Full View | HathiTrust Digital Library

• Like 1

Thanks SO Much, 30DodgePanel!  Yes, I dote on those early Arizona Highways.  When The AZ Centennial rolled around in 2012, the State created "The Arizona Memory Project."  It was and remains a Great Success.  Luckily, the project scanned a lot of those old AZ HYWS and has made them available online.  If an issue has been scanned, you can download the entire issue! I make ongoing, frequent and extensive use of the project's resources.  I'd be lost without it.  Note that the picture I used to begin this post came from the project's files.  You will really enjoy the vast resources available there!

https://azmemory.azlibrary.gov/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many HUGE Thanks to everyone who commented on and contributed thoughts and resources to this post.  I am deeply grateful for your kind help and assistance.  Early Tuesday evening (01/04/2022) I finished a lengthy article on the Plank Road.  I wouldn't and couldn't have done it without your help.  When I put up the first photo, I was simply looking for info to do a short Tweet about the car on the Plank Road.  Your enthusiastic reception and reaction to the post totally changed my plans.  A case could be made that all of you collectively sabotaged my weekend!  But I thank you for doing so.  It was a very fun and unexpected tangent.  Anyway, even if you don't read the whole post, please scroll down to the end as I have a comment there about the AACA that I suspect you will enjoy reading.  And, yes, it's true.

Normally, when I do a longer article, I put in all the sources and citations as I go along.  For this one I just wrote it in my own words without extracting journal quotes, etc.  I think it works better in this case. A discussion of the sources is appended as a separate linked document.

https://azitwas.blogspot.com/2022/01/the-plank-road.html

THANK YOU SO MUCH!  May Your Year 2022 be Your Best Ever!  Carry on.

John Parsons, Rimrock, Arizona.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, RimrockRandy said:

Many HUGE Thanks to everyone who commented on and contributed thoughts and resources to this post.  I am deeply grateful for your kind help and assistance.  Early Tuesday evening (01/04/2022) I finished a lengthy article on the Plank Road.  I wouldn't and couldn't have done it without your help.  When I put up the first photo, I was simply looking for info to do a short Tweet about the car on the Plank Road.  Your enthusiastic reception and reaction to the post totally changed my plans.  A case could be made that all of you collectively sabotaged my weekend!  But I thank you for doing so.  It was a very fun and unexpected tangent.  Anyway, even if you don't read the whole post, please scroll down to the end as I have a comment there about the AACA that I suspect you will enjoy reading.  And, yes, it's true.

Normally, when I do a longer article, I put in all the sources and citations as I go along.  For this one I just wrote it in my own words without extracting journal quotes, etc.  I think it works better in this case. A discussion of the sources is appended as a separate linked document.

https://azitwas.blogspot.com/2022/01/the-plank-road.html

THANK YOU SO MUCH!  May Your Year 2022 be Your Best Ever!  Carry on.

John Parsons, Rimrock, Arizona.

Very cool, John. Nice work.

• Like 4

The information about the prefabricated sections and the rather short length were a refreshing surprise. So many worthwhile details have been changed with each retelling. 

Thanks for sharing.