1962 Pontiac Tempest LeMans convertible - $12,500 (Toms River)

https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/d/toms-river-1962-pontiac-tempest-lemans/7424031515.html

Very nice driver. Many new parts. Great $1,400 radio. Electric power top 3 yrs old. Great tires. Very fun car to own! The car with 1/2 an engine! 4 cyl rope driveshaft, automatic transmission in rear. Rare car if you want a nice convertible that you won't see at every car show like all the others.

• Like 1

I can only recall seeing one of these early Tempests, and it was a hardtop. The 4 cyl sounded like a tractor, but maybe it was just that car's issue.

Good-looking cars, more interesting than the later models.

Agree the price might be in the ballpark.

This is one of my bucket list cars. I love it. I like the ‘61s and ‘62s, before they toned the styling down a bit. 

Great color combo.  I would prefer a stick but could live with the auto. Looks like it’s in good shape, although the pics kinda suck so who knows. I would change the tires for a narrower white stripe but other than that I’d leave it alone. 

Price could be reasonable depending on condition. 

31 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

They actually put a 4 cylinder in these ?  I thought they were long gone in mid sized cars by then

Yup. Supposedly one bank of cylinders from a 389. Like Ford did by designing the 9N tractor engine from half of a Mercury flathead V8.

I knew a guy who had a 4 door in the late 80's. His aunt gave it to him. It was in good original shape but had one of the worst 4 cylinder engines I'd ever heard.

I was intrigued by it and he would have probably sold it to me for cheap. I just wouldn't have know what to have done with it. I wonder if anyone swapped 326's or 389's in them?

Half an 8 engine, Rope drive and a transaxle. I have to salute the engineering management that was free enough to allow these ideas to be developed.

I can't imagine the corporate culture permitting it today.  

Might be a lot of fun and could probably be made to handle with a few suspension tweaks. 

My Dad had one of these in the mid 60s. His was a 4 cylinder convertible with an automatic trans. It was silver-blue with a white top. He had it several years, until it developed engine problems. I remember it as a fun car ride in as a child.

The car featured in the ad looks like a nice car.

Kevin

Theres a guy in my town that has one of these in hardtop version as his daily driver. I was talking to him at the gas station one day because of my fondness for Pontiacs. He showed me the slant 4 motor and explained the drivetrain. I had no idea such a crazy thing existed before that.