For Sale: 1966 Corvair 4-door hardtop - $9,500 - Barrington, ILL - Not Mine - Still Available, Price Reduced to $8,000: 1-23-2022:

For Sale: 1966 Corvair 4-door hardtop - $9,500 - Barrington, ILL - Still Available, Price Reduced to $8,000: 1-23-2022: See New Link Below:

1966 Corvair 4-door hardtop - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

Seller's Description:

Very rare 1966 Corvair Monza 4-door hardtop in excellent condition. 110hp + Powerglide automatic. Starts, drives, and stops perfectly. Engine/trans in superior condition. Starts in all weather and will run all day at 70mph. Gets 18.5 mpg on high octane. Interior very good, some splitting on seats as shown. Interior very clean. Body very good, some very minor rust spots, nothing even close to rust thru. Rides like a new car. Minor oil drip, common to these.  All electric components work correctly except for clock which is erratic.

Recent work:
1/20 4-wheel alignment + front shocks
1/20 gas tank flush
3/20 door, trunk, and engine compartment w-stripping
6/20 brakes + master cylinder upgrade to dual
6/20 new trans shifter cable
9/20 tune-up + electronic distributor
10/20 new harmonic balancer and seal
3/21 new exhaust system
3/21 carbs rebuilt
6/21 NOS AM radio + antenna
6/21 new gas gauge and tank sending unit. 
8/21 new tires on Buick 15" Rallye rims

Price is $9,500 OBO.
Copy and paste in your email: 865c6d0f801538d58d27cc12218db0c3@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this For Sale: 1966 Corvair 4-door hardtop.

'66 Corvair 4dr hdtp ILL a.jpg

'66 Corvair 4dr hdtp ILL b.jpg

'66 Corvair 4dr hdtp ILL c.jpg

'66 Corvair 4dr hdtp ILL d.jpg

'66 Corvair 4dr hdtp ILL e.jpg

'66 Corvair 4dr hdtp ILL f.jpg

'66 Corvair 4dr hdtp ILL g.jpg

'66 Corvair 4dr hdtp ILL h.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Still Available, Price Reduced to $8,000: 1-23-2022: Crossed out the dead CL link, (see edit history)
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Corvairs in 4-door hardtop form are very scarce.

I've seen only one other one, despite seeing dozens

of Corvairs.  I had no idea that the rear seat folded down.

Thanks for sharing this find, Steve.

John:

A three-year-only body style: 1965: 54K; 1966: 21K; 1967: 6K.  As attractive as the 4-door hardtop was, there were so many other choices, the Corvair was becoming a niche market, albeit a diminishing one. This car is the Monza trim level.

Steve

20 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

And to make a name for himself.

Not to get sidetracked, but Nader almost single handedly started a new genre of non-fiction literature with his book - or greatly popularized it - and showed a way for relatively unknown authors to become wealthy overnight. I guess you gotta give him that (as unpleasant as that may be.) The genre is now more focused on dietary and medical  issues than automotive.

BTW, Unsafe at Any Speed also accused the iconic '57 Chevy of being too dangerous...to pedestrians!! (I think most cars fit into that category. 😄)

• Like 2

On 12/25/2021 at 8:17 AM, 58L-Y8 said:

The erratic handling of the first Corvair series was the primary issue.

Erratic ??

As documented numerous times, there was nothing inherently erratic per first series Corvairs, as long as PROPER tire pressure was at least approximated.

That being noted, many just over-inflated the front tires.

The early Corvair's Swing axle was not significantly different from the then-current Porsche - and even the lowly Volkswagen of the era.

the transverse rear spring in 1964 models was an improvement,

and the Didion-style Quad U-Jointed rear half-shafts, introduced for second generation 1965 and newer models turned Corvair into a more serious excellent handling car.

Now with our 5th Corvair, I can attest to just how fantastic they really are.

Our '65 Monza 4-speed convertible is an affordable blast to drive, maintain, enjoy, and appreciate.

9CF5AD4A-553C-45C0-B2A0-6563538330DE.jpeg

0D3B140A-CE6D-461E-984B-419863FFC49B.jpeg

Edited by Marty Roth
Add pict (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/25/2021 at 8:17 AM, 58L-Y8 said:

The erratic handling of the first Corvair series was the primary issue.

My first car was an early Corvair and Nader was full of himself. I've drifted them through water onto dry pavement and never lifted a tire. The things My cousin and I did with those Corvairs was abusive and not once did either of us have one start to roll. If you forced them into a tight turn in wet conditions they would spin a full 180 at 25 mph. They tended to under steer until the back end broke loose then there was no stopping the spin. In wet or winter conditions it was a good idea to carry some weight in the front trunk. Most rear engine passenger cars seemed to have that trait.  Drive them like a rear engine car and you were fine. Same can be said for the original VW Beetle. I've owned both and the handling was very similar. In the later years GM improved the suspension but it was too late as Nader's book had already done irreparable damage. I still have a lot of fond memories of adventures in that Corvair. 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I owned both a 63 two door with a four speed and a 64 turbo and really enjoyed them. I was 19 or so and drove the bleep out of them. When we got married my wife owned a 65 yellow convertible that we kept till  all these darned children started showing up. When I bought my first classic 20 years ago I seriously considered looking for another Corvair. But a Plymouth turned up first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1966 Corvair 4-door hardtop - $9,500 - Barrington, ILL - Not Mine - Still Available, Price Reduced to $8,000: 1-23-2022: