Where to Buy Bushings

PaulyWally

Hi All,

My gen1 Mustang has some bushings that need replacing. Namely, the upper bushings on the front shocks are torn up. I don't think the shocks are original. Even if they are, I can't seem to find new bushings on sites like CJ Pony Parts and National Parts Depot.  I checked McMaster-Carr too... no luck.

Can someone point me to a good resource where I can find numerous types and sizes of bushings?

Thanks! 

IMG_2070.JPG

38 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

The bushings come with new shocks. Just replace the shocks. No, those are not original, as evidenced by the mis-matched mounting bolts and washers.

The shocks are fine. I'm not interested in spending $100+ when all I need is a $2 piece of rubber. Likewise, I'm not interested in replacing every major part that only needs a bushing. I wouldn't replace a perfectly fine transmission just because a seal is leaking.

And to play devil's advocate, just because the bolts/washers are mismatched, doesn't mean the shock isn't original. I believe it's not original. I'm just sayin'... after 55 years of being driven and maintained, the original bolts and nuts get rusted, broken, or vibrated loose and turn into road debris. It has been known to happen from time to time. 🙂

Bushings like that weren't considered replaceable or sold separately ever as far as I know.

If you want to replace them, look at truck and 4x4 suppliers for bushings made of urethane. You might find something sold as an aftermarket upgrade. They are going to be very difficult to install with a captive mounting shaft like that. Good luck.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PaulyWally said:

The shocks are fine. I'm not interested in spending $100+ when all I need is a $2 piece of rubber. Likewise, I'm not interested in replacing every major part that only needs a bushing. I wouldn't replace a perfectly fine transmission just because a seal is leaking.

And to play devil's advocate, just because the bolts/washers are mismatched, doesn't mean the shock isn't original. I believe it's not original. I'm just sayin'... after 55 years of being driven and maintained, the original bolts and nuts get rusted, broken, or vibrated loose and turn into road debris. It has been known to happen from time to time. 🙂

As noted, these bushings are not normally replaced. They come with the shock. As a result, you will likely be hard-pressed to find correct ones. And if those are the original shocks after 55 years, they are not "fine". Those blue Monroe shocks are $20 apiece at RockAuto. You clearly don't want to hear the answer, so I'll stop wasting your time.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, joe_padavano said:

As noted, these bushings are not normally replaced. They come with the shock. As a result, you will likely be hard-pressed to find correct ones. And if those are the original shocks after 55 years, they are not "fine". Those blue Monroe shocks are $20 apiece at RockAuto. You clearly don't want to hear the answer, so I'll stop wasting your time.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. Whether or not the shocks are "fine" is mostly irrelevant. The bottomline is, I'm not about to replace every piece of hardware that has a bad bushing/grommet/seal. It's wasteful and impractical. And it also detracts from the hobby of maintaining a classic car (IMHO).

My question wasn't whether or not to replace the entire shock. The question was where I could find suppliers of parts like this... not just for the shock, but for other parts as well. There are many more worn rubber pieces on the car that are used on otherwise perfectly good hardware.

More from the Eaton-Detroit site for a nominal 1966 Mustang:

Coil Springs Order EATON No. Qualifier P/V Price Wt.
Front          +2"    above stock       +1.5" above stock       +1"    above stock       Stock Ride Height       -1"     below stock       -1.5"  below stock       -2"     below stock     
MC1252 *
with & without factory AC Standard Duty 1 $ 224.00/pr 22
Rear Coil springs are not used on this vehicle
  Note: On orders for non-stock ride height, there is an upcharge per pair of coil springs, applied on the order.

Leaf Springs Order EATON No. Qualifier Width Lvs Rate P/V Price Wt.
Front Leaf springs are not used on this vehicle
Rear          +3"  above stock       +2"  above stock       +1"  above stock       Stock Ride Height       -1"   below stock       -2"   below stock       -3"   below stock     
ML1025 *
Improved Handling 2.500 4 110 2 $ 199.00/ea 28
           +3"  above stock       +2"  above stock       +1"  above stock       Stock Ride Height       -1"   below stock       -2"   below stock       -3"   below stock     
ML1435 *
Standard Duty 2.500 4 85 2 $ 199.00/ea 26
  Note: On orders for non-stock ride height, there is an upcharge per pair of leaf springs, applied no the order.

Install Kits Order EATON No. Installation Kit Description P/V Price Wt.
Front   CAFRI200 * Coil Spring Isolator 2 $ 14.00/ea 0
Rear   IKFC3003 *Notes Single Exhaust 1 $ 99.00/ea 7
    IKFC3103 *Notes Dual Exhaust 1 $ 99.00/ea 7

Shocks Order EATON No. Shock Absorber Description P/V Price Wt.
Front   KYB343146 * KYB Excel-G Shock 2 $ 26.00/ea 2.52
    KYBKG4517 * KYB Gas-A-Just Shock 2 $ 43.00/ea 2.62
    QATD401 * No longer available 2 CALL 3
    QATN401 * QA1 Non Adjustable Hydraulic Shock 2 $ 129.00/ea 3
    QATS401 * QA1 Single Adjustable Hydraulic Shock 2 $ 179.50/ea 3
    VKB213 * Viking Double Adjustable Hydraulic Shock 2 $ 214.00/ea 4
    VKB277 * Viking Double Adjustable Hydraulic Shock for vehic les lowered 1.5 inches or more 2 $ 214.00/ea 5
Rear   KYB343219 * KYB Excel-G Shock 2 $ 24.00/ea 3.16
    KYBKG5517 * KYB Gas-A-Just Shock 2 $ 50.00/ea 3.63
    QATD601 * QA1 Double Adjustable Hydraulic Shock 2 $ 259.00/ea 3
    QATN601 * QA1 Non Adjustable Hydraulic Shock 2 $ 129.00/ea 3
    QATS601 * QA1 Single Adjustable Hydraulic Shock 2 $ 175.00/ea 3
    VKB218S * Viking Double Adjustable Hydraulic Shock 2 $ 195.00/ea 5
    VKB238 * Viking Double Adjustable Hydraulic Shock for vehic les lowered 1.5 inches or more 2 $ 199.00/ea 5

Other Prods Order EATON No. Other Product Description P/V Price Wt.
Bushing   30RB82 * Front Eye Bushing - Rubber 2 17.95/ea .5
Misc   CAFR3388Notes Upper Coil Spring Seat 2 24.95/ea 2
Shackle   CASHK789 *Notes Shackle One Inch Longer Than Stock 2 29.95/ea 2
Misc   ES4-2101G * Urethane Rear Leaf Spring Bushing Kit - Black - with 1/2" Shackle Bolts 1 60.75/ea 3
Misc   ES4-2101R * Urethane Rear Leaf Spring Bushing Kit - Red - with 1/2" Shackle Bolts 1 60.75/ea 3
Misc   ES4-2123G * Urethane Rear Leaf Spring Bushing Kit - Black - with 9/16" Shackle Bolts 1 64.25/ea 3
Misc   ES4-2123R * Urethane Rear Leaf Spring Bushing Kit - Red - with 9/16" Shackle Bolts 1 64.25/ea 3
Misc   ES4-2135G * Urethane Rear Leaf Spring Bushing Kit - Black - w/HD Shackles 1 125.25/ea 8
Misc   ES4-2135R * Urethane Rear Leaf Spring Bushing Kit-Red-w/HD Shackles 1 125.25/ea 8
notes-blue.png=Product Notes *=Normal Stock item.
Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, PaulyWally said:

I'm not about to replace every piece of hardware that has a bad bushing/grommet/seal. It's wasteful and impractical.

Many times in the original parts book from when the car was new, items like this are shown and the footnote says: "Not serviced separately replace component"  

You wont find a replacement bushing because quite likely none was ever made to be sold as a separate part. 

1 hour ago, m-mman said:

Many times in the original parts book from when the car was new, items like this are shown and the footnote says: "Not serviced separately replace component"  

You wont find a replacement bushing because quite likely none was ever made to be sold as a separate part. 

Yes. And many times an industrial supplier like McMaster-Carr sells little parts like these that - while not intended for this purpose - just happens to be the exact specs one might be looking for.

I’m not intentionally trying to be  a contrarian jackass. The fact is, parts for some of our cars are often difficult to come by. And in some cases need to be fabricated from scratch. It gets costly… very fast. The people that maintain these antiquities are a resourceful and imaginative bunch. I’ve sourced parts for my antique projects from the most unlikely of places. And if I can save 90%+ of the cost of a new shock by just using a little ingenuity, that’s what I’m going to do.

Another possibility, actually a good possibility, is that the rubber was bonded to the steel both inside and out, making it non-replaceable as built. In that case, any twisting motion that occurs is due to deflection of the rubber. If the metal were allowed to move on the inside or the outside the bushing it might cause a squeak.

Aftermarket urethane bushings on the other hand, the brightly colored type often sold to 4x4 enthusiasts, are meant to slide like a bearing. They are plagued by squeaks for that reason. The urethane bushing suppliers have for years been playing with the formula trying to eliminate unwanted noise.

I have heard stories in recent years of people re-molding engine and transmission mounts using windshield urethane as a substitute for the vulcanized rubber. It might be possible for you to rig up some kind of dam or mold and cast the bushings in place.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It certainly looks as part of the assembly. But I have seen shock rubbers comes in 2 pieces, somewhat tapered, and pushed from both sides of the housing and shaft.Check with U A P,for bushings, sometimes there might be rubber for some thing else , with a little ingenuity, may work.

The lower rad hose on my 1928 Dodge Brothers Senior is from a 1968 Biscane top rad hose cut to fit. 

I'm all for saving money on projects, and using other sources to come up with solutions. Very handy working on older cars. But, $40 in brand new shocks will fix this and improve ride quality. Even if the shocks on there now are OK, new ones will be nicer. OK, a little over $40 with shipping. Even KYB's gas charged. Probably cost almost that much to buy something that needs modifying from McMaster Carr ( I think they are very high on some products and you don't know the shipping charge until it ships) and still have old shocks.

I remember seeing these bushings at stores like Pep Boys on the Help! display board. I just checked on the Summit Racing website and they have many replacement bushings listed with measurements. They even have Dorman bushings listed. If you measure the existing units you should find something. These are not that cheap, since new shocks are now so much cheaper, there hasn't been as much demand. Happy hunting!

From my experience, when the bushings on a shock are that badly damaged, the shock or part attached to it is usually shot also.

I guess, maybe spend maybe $5 on bushings or $20 on new shocks.  In most of our worlds that is an easy choice especially when you need to take the shocks off to change the bushings.  Once & done.

• Like 1

I can't for the life of me understand why this subject is controversial. This is a restoration forum. Yes, it's probably going to cost more than a new set of shocks. So what? What if new shocks weren't available for this model, then what would the answer be?

I get that the parts to fix this were never available separately when the shocks were new, so there's no easy answer to the OP's question. I have my doubts it will be found in Dorman, because a split bushing of the type used on a bolted connection, and commonly sold separately wont work here. I would sure look in Dorman though just in case! It needs to be a one piece bushing that pops through the eye as there are no solidly bolted washers to hold the bushing in the eye. The shaft would have to be pressed in after the fact.

When I can't get parts for something I make them. I don't think that casting them in place as I suggested above is a completely crazy idea. It just might work.

• Like 1