1921 Paige

When @31plymouthowned this car, it ran like a champ!  Owner in CA had it recommissioned by a BMW mechanic, complete with video of said mechanic doing a cold start with no choke and spark advanced... (sigh)  This car may be on the market soon.  It's a pretty late 1921 as it has the drum headlights used in 1922-23; earlier 1921s had bell-shaped headlights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two Charlies from White Plains owned this car.  Charlie Hipp from around 1973 to 1996 and me from from 1996 to 2014.

On 9/4/2021 at 11:27 AM, 1937hd45 said:

Thanks, Charlie kept it in  far better condition when he had the car. Bob 

You remember the car from when Charlie Hipp owned it.

The guy in Calif. bought it but never drove it.

This is a link to a video I made when I had the car for sale.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Just curious. Was this the one for sale on ebay a year or two ago?

Beautiful car regardless! I love Paige automobiles.

I don't think that this particular car was for sale on eBay.  I have never seen a 1921 Larrchmont II come up for sale .  A 1980's Paige owners roster listed only 2  1921 Larchmont II''s.   I have never seen or heard of the other .  Did it go overseas's?  I wonder.

I am not sure of the years, or specific models, however, as I recall, two early 1920s Paige 'touring cars' have been on ebay in the past five years. One, a black one and very sharp looking, was listed off and on for a couple years. Price started very high, and dropped slowly until it went under $50K and soon quit showing up. I figured it probably sold, but never knew for sure. I 'think' it was listed as a 1923?

Then about the time that one disappeared, a light green one showed up. Very nice looking, though not quite as sharp. I don't recall what year it was listed as, and it was only listed for a very short while. 

I have always found Paige's history very interesting, and believed they deserve more recognition in the hobby than they generally get. I wish I could afford one like these. I would love to follow Grimy on tours with one!

52 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

I would love to follow Grimy on tours with one!

Wayne, this was supposed to be the summer of Paige:  install wiring harness and reinstall head after the valve job.  But life got in the way clearing out a family member's hoarder house...which is almost done, just in time for two weeks of tours starting a week from tomorrow!  Finishing the Paige will give me something to while away the winter hours....

I still have some hopes of getting my 1927 6-45 restored. Maybe not quite to the level I used to have hoped? But it could still maybe happen and be fairly nice. About thirty years ago, I inherited a few dollars from a great uncle, and I used the money to have the nickel plating done as I saw the 'writing on the wall' for plating shops and environmental restrictions. So that now very expensive part is done! Most of the body work was done, some fender work remains but isn't serious. The engine is partially apart, but was being put back together and shouldn't require much. The big issue is the interior. The original was in very poor condition, but still remains (removed from the car almost fifty years ago). I actually bought most of the needed material (some nice mohair!) about thirty years ago. Financial and time issues currently keep the project from moving forward. A somewhat encouraging note is that my wife recently told me she would really like for me to get the car done. Maybe IF she cooperates? It could happen in the next few years.

Meanwhile, I just hope to get back onto a few tours next year.

On 9/3/2021 at 11:47 PM, Grimy said:

When @31plymouthowned this car, it ran like a champ!  Owner in CA had it recommissioned by a BMW mechanic, complete with video of said mechanic doing a cold start with no choke and spark advanced... (sigh)  This car may be on the market soon.  It's a pretty late 1921 as it has the drum headlights used in 1922-23; earlier 1921s had bell-shaped headlights.

BMW mechanic? BMW= Bowel Movement on Wheels. Probably so young he never serviced anything carbureted, never mind with points and a crash box.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I have always found Paige's history very interesting, and believed they deserve more recognition in the hobby than they generally get.  

The Paige 6-66 and 6-70 Models were recognized as CCCA classics a few years ago. Right after I sold my car!

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

BMW mechanic? BMW= Bowel Movement on Wheels. Probably so young he never serviced anything carbureted, never mind with points and a crash box.

The owner of the car gave the mechanic my phone number and called me asking if I could help him with a few questions.

The car had sat for quite a while and the carb wasn't getting gas no matter how long he cranked it. ( told him to open the plug on the top of the vacuum canister and put a little gas in it.   He told me the 1/2 of  points were missing .   He later messaged me that the points were ok.

When I last spoke to the current owner, he said the car was running flawlessly now.   He had the fuel pump rebuilt.

When I sold him the car he had no experience with anything of this era. I told him numerous times to join AACA and contact the closest AACA region.  There were 2  regions within 10 miles of him.  Grimy spoke to him a few years ago but help and advice was ignored.

The car was in an auction a few years ago.  Auction house specialized in watches and pocketbooks.

https://bid.gwsauctions.com/auction/45/item/1921-paige-larchmont-ii-convertible-woriginal-engine-7341/

Edited by 31plymouth
spelling addtion info (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, konstantineaquavi said:

The engine is partially apart, but was being put back together and shouldn't require much. The big issue is the interior. The original was in very poor condition, but still remains (removed from the car almost fifty years ago). 

I don't think you are referring to this car.