Steering wheel restoration

Buick35

55 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Someone referenced a fellow in Carlisle PA a while back. Gary's Steering Wheel Restoration?🤔

Yes. Gary does a fantastic job. I had him do the very badly cracked and warped wheel for my 67 Delta. He's not inexpensive.

I actually went to his shop (behind his house) in Carlisle. The quality (and quantity) of the wheels he had there was impressive.

I had a great job done by The Steering Wheel Guy in Oregon, his name is Jim and his price was very reasonable . I have included a picture of my 1936 GMC pickup, I believe the Buick wheel to be similar to this one.  If you private message me I have permission to give you his phone number,

B74A4A54-A063-4499-9162-497175128372.jpeg

If you happened to have just a badly worn wheel and want to paint it, after prep., mount it  horizontal and spray it. Then add extra paint so that it runs down to the back side where the finger grips are. The paint will collect and form extra length to the worn finger grips and make for a comfortable feel of the wheel.   👍

• Thanks 1

If it were me I would prime the wheel with Flexible Parts Primer, scuff, then topcoat with Acrylic Enamel with a little Urethane Flexible Additive added to it. I've been doing this for years with excellent results. Some of my wheels were sprayed thirty years ago and still look good. Of course like any refinishing operation thorough preparation is the key. I prefer to mount the wheel on a piece of wood serving as a handle and hold it on one hand while spraying it with the other. I like to keep turning the wheel over as I spray it for complete uniform coverage rather than letting the paint run wherever. If you don't add the flex agent to the topcoat you risk cracking the paint as the wheel expands & contracts with the heat and cold. Gives the finish a nice shine too. Works for me. 

IMG_0075.JPG

The Filling Station offers a remolding service for Chevrolet wheels. Your looks like one but I am not sure if it is the same, maybe they can help you. Part number  R-3137.

Dave

parts123.com

Sorry, I saw the picture of the GMC and thought you were asking about the GMC not the Buick. They probably are not a good source.

Edited by Dave39MD
read op wrong (see edit history)

On 8/11/2021 at 7:33 AM, jpage said:

Check with D and D Automobilia in Lincolnton, NC at 704-748-3447.

D&D Automobilia is now in Charlotte, NC at 704-650-4632.  We only do complete recasting of steering wheels and have the mold for your 1935 Buick.  For repair and painting of your steering wheel we recommend Gary's Steering Wheel Restoration in Carlisle, PA 717-243-5646 and Steering Wheel Bob (Bob Monetti) in Stockton, NJ 609-483-2642.

Dave Bowman

D&D Automobilia

On 8/11/2021 at 12:46 AM, ramair said:

I had a great job done by The Steering Wheel Guy in Oregon, his name is Jim and his price was very reasonable . I have included a picture of my 1936 GMC pickup, I believe the Buick wheel to be similar to this one.  If you private message me I have permission to give you his phone number,

B74A4A54-A063-4499-9162-497175128372.jpeg

Hi Ramar,Could you please e-mail me Jim's number?I'm having trouble getting my PM.Thanks gregwalsh935@yahoo.com.

Greg, just sent a address book share for phone number.  Let me know if you don’t get it, also I will look and see if I have some before pictures of my wheel to share