Vintage VW spotted at parts store

Flivverking

While exchanging and returning incorrect parts (as usual these days at A-Z )at the local Autozone this low riding vintage bug was in the lot.

Very clean and detailed and had some extra horsepower shoe -horned in it. I quessed 1962 but the not so good with spoken english owner came out and said 1960.

Paint was as good as it gets and was very close to the original steering wheel plastic color..interior was black and nicely done.

0730211928.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jim Bollman said:

For those that didn't like the mods to the old VW, I saw this one at a show today.

VWSmallBlock.jpeg

Now you know what vintage Volkswagen people REALLY don't like. Trying to cause a heart attack?

• Haha 1

My band teacher in HS had a couple of wagons like that. Also had one of those fastback cars. My brother had the one with the trunk when he was living in Germany. VW's are ok, I respect them the same as all old cars, but I just dont get the hype. 

After Vietnam I spent 18 months in Germany 1970-71.  I bought a cheap 1958 VW and drove it into the ground traveling around Germany and as far as Italy.  Never any problems.  Returned to the states and always had mostly 1930's Automobiles and never paid attention to the Volkswagens.  Finally in 2018 got the Bug to buy one and relive those days.  I now have a 1960 and 1965 both original and enjoy both,  The amount of attention they draw wherever I go is incredible.  So many people have some kind of attachment to those little bugs. I wish I still had that first one from Germany but I still have my girlfriend who I met in Germany and traveled with me in that car.  They really are a fun little car to drive.  So many young people are into the VW's.

20190527_214514.jpg

DSC_0515 (1).JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

My band teacher in HS had a couple of wagons like that. Also had one of those fastback cars. My brother had the one with the trunk when he was living in Germany. VW's are ok, I respect them the same as all old cars, but I just dont get the hype. 

I used to think the same thing but then came Christmas dinner 1956. My brother in law invited his Dad to our family dinner. His Dad, Paul came over to our house with a fairly new 1956 Type 117 deluxe. After dinner my brother in law and I got to ride in it along the beach, With the sunroof open I was allowed to stand on the front seat between my brother in in laws legs while he held me at the waist- it was like how DeCaprio did in the movie Titanic.

https://media.gettyimages.com/videos/boy-standing-up-through-sunroof-of-vw-beetle-as-it-drives-on-405-video-id129663656

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Reicholzheimer said:

After Vietnam I spent 18 months in Germany 1970-71.  I bought a cheap 1958 VW and drove it into the ground traveling around Germany and as far as Italy.  Never any problems.  Returned to the states and always had mostly 1930's Automobiles and never paid attention to the Volkswagens.  Finally in 2018 got the Bug to buy one and relive those days.  I now have a 1960 and 1965 both original and enjoy both,  The amount of attention they draw wherever I go is incredible.  So many people have some kind of attachment to those little bugs. I wish I still had that first one from Germany but I still have my girlfriend who I met in Germany and traveled with me in that car.  They really are a fun little car to drive.  So many young people are into the VW's.

20190527_214514.jpg

DSC_0515 (1).JPG

FYI your surfboard is strapped on incorrectly. 

We do it this way;

23 Awesome VW Beetles That Will Make Your Summer - M...

Our 1966 VW Bug, parked in April 2019 with it;s new interior, headliner, window rubbers & tires.   Parked it for my 2 knee replacements and have not driven it since,  $^&)(*$#   Failed kmees!   I start it occasionally but can;t get i n it to drive it.   We've had it since 1989 and have done many AACA Founder;s Tours and Divisional Tours with it.   Still have hopes for my knees, so I keep it.  I call it my German High performance Sports sedan.   Radial tires make a great mountain road car.

1316153614_IMG_13741.JPG.eaf6f0fff62c113ff94bf930530f231c.JPG

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Our 1966 VW Bug, parked in April 2019 with it;s new interior, headliner, window rubbers & tires.   Parked it for my 2 knee replacements and have not driven it since,  $^&)(*$#   Failed kmees!   I start it occasionally but can;t get i n it to drive it.   We've had it since 1989 and have done many AACA Founder;s Tours and Divisional Tours with it.   Still have hopes for my knees, so I keep it.  I call it my German High performance Sports sedan.   Radial tires make a great mountain road car.

1316153614_IMG_13741.JPG.eaf6f0fff62c113ff94bf930530f231c.JPG

Paul, make sure after starting you let it run until you get oil temp on the plus side of 120 degrees, other wise you will collect a great deal of moisture in the crankcase. Good luck with your knees!