1929 Cadillac Dual Cowl

Cool body.    Comments?

Since the seller is Peter Kumar,  he would probably know more than me.   But I do not believe he is getting anywhere near the 90k. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274878069840

Highly Original 1929 Cadillac 1183 Dual Cowl Phaeton with Body by Fisher: Out of 40 Year Ownership and Never Restored

This 1929 Cadillac 1183 Dual Cowl Phaeton with Body by Fisher is just out of 40 year ownership. Two-town grey with black interior and red wire wheels. Among the most elegant of the Cadillac s many available body styles was the Fisher Body-built dual-cowl phaeton that gave rear passengers their own cowl and windshield. The previous owner purchased this car in 1981 and drove it up until 2007 when he parked it in dry storage. An extremely original car that's nothing but straight and honest. It's never been restored and is very solid with a great body and undercarriage. The doors open and close nicely as well. The car is solid and comes complete. The car was last running in 2007 and wears older paint showing its patina. Get it running again and drive as-is, or consider it the ideal restoration candidate.

Collectible and Desirable Dual Cowl Phaeton

Out of 40 Year Ownership

Body by Fisher

Excellent Body and Very Solid

Highly Original, Never Restored

$89,500 Firm

1929-Caddy-DualCowl.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 3

After reading all the discussions here about the difficulty and expense of restoring 1929-era Cadillacs, it seems to me the only sensible thing to do is get it running and drive it as is. 

In that case, I agree the "firm" price is aspirational.

But considering the Chip Foose Imperial and the Jeff Bezos moon shot, who knows what might happen.

Way too much stupid money floating around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's a very nice 40k car IF YOU WANY IT. It will need 15k minimum to go down the road. Not a bad car if you like driving a posh dump truck. 😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

The 29 Pierce?  Yes, though not sure if finished.  New owner put big bucks into car, kept a lot of us updated constantly, about six months ago went to upholstery shop and that’s the last I know of it.  True labor of love….

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

if you like driving a posh dump truck

Ed is correct.  This car was my first restoration, won the AACA presidents cup and drove like a dump truck without power steering.  The car had very bad vibes.  I purchased it from Ron Van Geldren after he was fired and his wife filed for divorce the same week.  He had imported it from Argentina. (Don't ask me why??)   It had bullet holes all aver the drivers door and the wood was riddled with termite damage.   A couple of years after I had finished showing it  I divorced my wife and took it to the Leake sale where the buyer walked into the settlement  area with a Wheaties box and paid the $110K with 100 dollar bills.  He died of a heart attack two weeks later and I lost track of the car.  Overall it was  a great day for me!!

2 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

The car had very bad vibes.  It had bullet holes all aver the drivers door...

Ugh!  You paint a pretty grim picture of this car Robert.  :lol:

I suppose if it is such a poor driver, it may be best to sell it as a non-runner so as not to let the cat out of the bag.

9 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Ugh!  You paint a pretty grim picture of this car Robert.  :lol:

I suppose if it is such a poor driver, it may be best to sell it as a non-runner so as not to let the cat out of the bag.

Sounds like 'Christine'.  Bad ju ju with this car. Im not a superstitious person but even if I was a player in this game I would run away from this one after hearing the background (I suppose I am superstitious, LOL)

• Like 1

I don't believe I am superstitious either Kerry but I do remember, years ago, a friend of mine bought a Corvette that had belonged to fellow with a "less than stellar"  reputation. He'd made several enemies and one day was chased down and shot to death on the side of the road, in this car. My friend owned an upholstery shop and was charged with redoing some of the interior after this incident, for a new owner.  The car was only a few years old then but seemed to be plagued with the craziest issues.  The new owner finally decided to rid himself of this trouble-plagued car and we watched as it sold over and over again.  It seemed no one wanted to keep it for one reason or another whether they knew the car's history or not.  Oddly enough, after 10 years of trading hands, the car made its way back to my friend at a bargain price, so he bought it.  I knew the car well, it looked great, with a desirable power train.  My friend had owned many Corvettes over the years so he was no stranger to their quirks.  He ended up owning this one for years but seldom drove it because it invariably came home on the hook.  He slowly started parting it out to use on other cars.  Haunted? Bad ju ju?  He never said so out loud, but any time the subject turned to that particular car, he'd just look at me, shrug his shoulders and grin.

So in the end, it's just another dumb car story I suppose but then again, why go tempting providence? 😄

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

My brush with "Bad JU-JU" was with a WWII firearm.  An original Russian TT-33, .30 Mauser caliber pistol to be exact.  I had bought it through a police friend from another policeman.  Who's father had taken it off of an Italian soldier in Italy during WWII.  One time many years ago I had been out shooting my Chicago type-writer.  And I always

carried a sidearm with me when going out shooting in the woods.  After coming home and cleaning the weapons except the TT-33 because I had not fired it.  I walked down the steps into my garage to lock the guns up.  I did not turn a light on because I was so familiar with the layout of the garage I didn't think a light was necessary.  I gingerly placed the pistol on the seat of a chair with my right hand while carrying the TSM in my left hand.  BOOM!  along with a very bright flash of light and a hot projectile

flying by my right ear!  Stunned is an under statement, more like I was in total shock for a few minutes.  Standing there saying to myself:  "I just almost got my head blown off!".  The TT-33 had fallen off the chair I had placed it on hit the floor and popped a round off.  WWII TT-33 pistols did not have safeties on them they were either unloaded

or ready to fire.  Big bad tough (but stupid) me had not bothered to unload the gun.  I sold it very quickly after that episode.  Any gun that tries to shoot me especially one that I own is one hell of an example of "Bad Ju-Ju" .😧

Capt. Harley😉

Note:  An Italian Army division fought along side of the Germans on the Russian front during a period of time in WWII.

• Like 2