Vintage Car Advertisements

George Cole

The first known car advertisement appeared in an 1898 edition of Scientific American.  Titled: Dispense with the Horse, the Winton Motor Carriage Company stated the hydrocarbon engine produced no odors or vibration, and cost about 1/2 cent a mile to operate.

image.png

Edited by George Cole (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Nothing that was printed in 1888 is still under copyright. Even if it appears in a web page or a printed book that is copyrighted only the text added by the author can be copyrighted...the image can't be. If its an advertisement from a publication like a newspaper or magazine, it's unlikely it was ever copyrighted.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, George Cole said:

I've now found some ads dated to 1888 but will not copy-paste them here due to concerns of copywrite infringement.

Yes, George, please post them.  They without a doubt are in

the public domain--and probably have been for the last 130 years.

It would be a rare ad or car catalogue that would have been

copyrighted in the first place.  A manufacturer would be happy to

have its information publicized widely.  Can you imagine, "Hey!  Stop

reproducing our ads!  We don't want anyone else to know about our product!"

The ads I've found are in hard copy books of vintage advertisements, published within the past 20 years or so.  All have copywrite protection statements.  One says: "All rights reserved.  No part of this work may be reproduced or used in any forms by any means - graphic, electronic, or mechanical, including photocopying or storage and retrieval systems - without written permission from the copywrite holder."  

That's enough for me to believe I should not be wantonly copying them here from that source.  

Regards,

George

13 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

Nothing that was printed in 1888 is still under copyright. Even if it appears in a web page or a printed book that is copyrighted only the text added by the author can be copyrighted...the image can't be. If its an advertisement from a publication like a newspaper or magazine, it's unlikely it was ever copyrighted.

George, we appreciate your integrity very much.

However, this is the best explanation.

No one can take an ad from 130 years ago and

suddenly, selfishly claim it for himself, and 

copyright it.  As Mr. Puleo explained, it's only 

the ADDED information from a recent author

that can be copyrighted.  

Here is the 1899 Winton at the Heritage Museum and Gardens on Cape Cod.  Apparently, the 1898 ad was good enough to sell 100 Wintons in 1899.  How many have survived?

1899-Winton-1.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, George Cole said:

The ads I've found are in hard copy books of vintage advertisements, published within the past 20 years or so.  All have copywrite protection statements.  One says: "All rights reserved.  No part of this work may be reproduced or used in any forms by any means - graphic, electronic, or mechanical, including photocopying or storage and retrieval systems - without written permission from the copywrite holder." 

They all say that. It's "boilerplate"...utterly meaningless regarding out of copyright material but it scares people. The current copyright law was written to protect the movie industry. It is known, in the trade, as "the Micky Mouse Law"... meaning just what it implies. The lobbyists that pushed it through knew little and cared less about print materials and the congressmen that supported it probably even less. The result is, or was, dreadfully ambiguous and virtually unenforceable because it often contradicts itself. But...it is clear that ANYTHING published 100 years ago is in the public domain. When the law was first passed, someone took advantage of its wretched vageness to try to copyright all of Shakespear's plays. It didn't work - but it pointed out what an idiotic piece of legislation it was.

For instance... about 20 years ago we published a copy of Executive Document 99 - the Civil War listing of all arms & accoutrements purchase by the Federal Government during the Civil War. As a US government publication is was never and CAN NOT be copyrighted but we included that bit of boilerplate to cover the introduction and commentary that preceded the actual document.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

George, can appreciate you wanting to play it safe but those ads exist in the public domain and are availabe in multiple sources. Searching the Internet will show many of them readily available.  Chances are whoever published that book 20 years ago is no longer still in business. While his book is copyright, it still contains a lot that isnt.  If anyone can find additional ads to post here it would be interesting to see them.  Google can help.

Terry

16 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

Nothing that was printed in 1888 is still under copyright. Even if it appears in a web page or a printed book that is copyrighted only the text added by the author can be copyrighted...the image can't be. If its an advertisement from a publication like a newspaper or magazine, it's unlikely it was ever 

On 6/30/2021 at 5:23 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Yes, George, please post them.  They without a doubt are in

the public domain--and probably have been for the last 130 years.

It would be a rare ad or car catalogue that would have been

copyrighted in the first place.  A manufacturer would be happy to

have its information publicized widely.  Can you imagine, "Hey!  Stop

reproducing our ads!  We don't want anyone else to know about our product!"

Inasmuch as I know paid ads in magazines are NOT copyrighted.   Of course, the articles within and cover design have copyrights.  If the ads were copyrighted, one would not see the exact same ads in National Georgraphic, Life, Readers Digest, Motor Trend, etc.

Craig

On 6/30/2021 at 1:25 PM, George Cole said:

I've now found some ads dated to 1888 but will not copy-paste them here due to concerns of copywrite infringement.

I find the public domain information web page published by Cornell University a handy guide to what I can put on my website.

As noted by others above, your 1888 item, even if copyrighted when originally published, is now in public domain as are anything published before 1926. Interestingly, if it wasn’t published then it would have to be older than 1901 under the worst case conditions. In any case, your 1888 date is earlier than both of those.

• Thanks 1

All works published in the United States before 1924 are in the public domain. Works published after 1923, but before 1978 are protected for 95 years from the date of publication. If the work was created, but not published, before 1978, the copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years

As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years.

• George Cole changed the title to Vintage Car Advertisements