1950 Buick Estate Wagon - Ventilation Hose Question

Kartman01

I have a 1950 Buick ventilation hose question I am hopeful someone can help me with.  The attached photo shows a flexible ventilation hose, unfortunately the hose does not fit around the circuumference of the two adjoining metal tubes.  

The photo is misleading as the hose has large gaps on the side opposite the camera.

After fiddling with the hose for over an hour it is clear the wire surrounding the hose is too small to fit over the metal tubes.

My questions:

1) Does someone reproduce OEM flexible vent hose?

2) If not, can anyone point me to a good substitute that will fit

As an aside, the hose currently on the car is a very heavy black cloth material.  It does not look or feel like dryer hose or anything

I have seen in hardware stores, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help!

IMG_5103.JPG

I am not sure which is the correct size hose, but a few suppliers like CARS in New Jersey (where I've bought mine), Kanters, and likely a few other places sell the material. Just FYI, I have never seen any material like this in regular hardware stores, etc.

Keith

The two sides have different diameter hoses and i am not near my car to tell you which is which.  Years ago there used to be vendors around, such as at Buick nationals or Hershey etc that would have both sizes, though I cant tell you who that would be now.  Maybe someone else on here knows.  You can go to the metal duct in front of the radiator and measure each side.  You will also notice one side has  a rubber molding around it while the other side just has sharp metal edges.  This is correct, you re not missing one of the moldings. The best answer I ever got for the difference was for some sort of noise reduction in one of the vents, but but couldn’t confirm this very well.

More importantly, that hose you mentioned with the very heavy cloth material was correct.  It kind of looked like a wide black duct tape.  My original 1950 Super model 52 that I bought 46 years ago with less than 13 thousand miles still has that hose on one side.  I have seen those hoses on other old original cars.

Edited by Century Eight (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Bob's Automobilia lists many sizes on their site. I believe that's where I bought mine. I had to slice one end of mine a little to slide on.

Air Duct Hose 2-1/2" . AD-250

$12.00

Air Duct Hose 2-1/4"Inch AD-225

$10.95

Air Duct Hose 2-3/4 . AD-275

$13.50

Air Duct Hose 3" . AD-300

$13.25

QUICK VIEW

Air Duct Hose 3-3/4 . AD-375

$13.25

Air Duct Hose 4" . AD-400

$13.50

Air Duct Hose 4-1/2" . AD-450

$14.25

Air Duct Hose 5" . AD-500

$15.25

Air Duct Hose 5-3/8" to 5-1/2" . AD-538

$16.50

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

I am not sure which is the correct size hose, but a few suppliers like CARS in New Jersey (where I've bought mine), Kanters, and likely a few other places sell the material. Just FYI, I have never seen any material like this in regular hardware stores, etc.

Keith

Thank you Keith, I will jump online and check out CARS. 

11 hours ago, Century Eight said:

The two sides have different diameter hoses and i am not near my car to tell you which is which.  Years ago there used to be vendors around, such as at Buick nationals or Hershey etc that would have both sizes, though I cant tell you who that would be now.  Maybe someone else on here knows.  You can go to the metal duct in front of the radiator and measure each side.  You will also notice one side has  a rubber molding around it while the other side just has sharp metal edges.  This is correct, you re not missing one of the moldings. The best answer I ever got for the difference was for some sort of noise reduction in one of the vents, but but couldn’t confirm this very well.

More importantly, that hose you mentioned with the very heavy cloth material was correct.  It kind of looked like a wide black duct tape.  My original 1950 Super model 52 that I bought 46 years ago with less than 13 thousand miles still has that hose on one side.  I have seen those hoses on other old original cars.

Thank you Century Eight, if you could help guide me as to which size goes where, I would appreciate it.

Folks, in doing an internet search I ran across these hoses.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173983399235?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D30602274bfdc417080c5da1c8a501231%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D173983399235%26itm%3D173983399235%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A28dafae0-c21a-11eb-9662-2ee449845e55|parentrq%3Ac2c455b61790a4b7156a6ae3ffdbf726|iid%3A1

They certainly look correct, but the ad indicates the hose goes ‘over’ the metal tubes on one side and goes ‘inside’ the metal tube on the other side.

Is this correct for a 1950 Buick Super?

Thanks in advance for any help!

On my 1953 Buick Special the hose goes over the heater box inlet on the passenger side and goes inside the tube going toward the front ending behind the grille.  There is a clamp on the hose that goes over the heater box inlet. 
On the driver side the hose goes over the vent inlet on the firewall and is secured with a clamp and goes inside the tube going toward the front. 
I think the inlets and the air tubes have different diameters so that a hose that fits over the inlets, as mine do, cannot fit over the air tubes. 
Joe

I have a 1950 Special 41D.  I just measured and would not have believed the outcome if I had not done so!  

Driver side BOTH measure 5".   Hose fits over and secured with a clamp.

Passenger side  front tube measures 5 1/2".   Cowl/ defroster measures 5 1/4"!   The hose I have there is not a correct one and goes inside both. 

Three different size tubes!   Weird!

Ben

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Joseph P. Indusi said:

On my 1953 Buick Special the hose goes over the heater box inlet on the passenger side and goes inside the tube going toward the front ending behind the grille.  There is a clamp on the hose that goes over the heater box inlet. 
On the driver side the hose goes over the vent inlet on the firewall and is secured with a clamp and goes inside the tube going toward the front. 
I think the inlets and the air tubes have different diameters so that a hose that fits over the inlets, as mine do, cannot fit over the air tubes. 
Joe

Hi Joseph, thank you for this information. If you could share any photos of your set up as well as the clamps, that would be great.

Who would have thought something as simple as vent hose could be so complicated 😉

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I have a 1950 Special 41D.  I just measured and would not have believed the outcome if I had not done so!  

Driver side BOTH measure 5".   Hose fits over and secured with a clamp.

Passenger side  front tube measures 5 1/2".   Cowl/ defroster measures 5 1/4"!   The hose I have there is not a correct one and goes inside both. 

Three different size tubes!   Weird!

Ben

Thank you Ben... I measured mine and it is the same!  Like you, I am stunned this is the 'factory' set up... but apparently it is!

Makes me wonder if I will ever be able to find the correct size of flexible hose!

• Like 1

Thanks Bill... it looks like somewhere in the ownership chain the clamps were discarded 😞

Do you have any photos of the engine compartment showing the correct hoses and clamps?  I can then try to

source replacements.

Thanks

On 5/30/2021 at 8:53 PM, Kartman01 said:

. . . I have a 1950 Buick ventilation hose question I am hopeful someone can help me with.  The attached photo shows a flexible ventilation hose, unfortunately the hose does not fit around the circuumference of the two adjoining metal tubes. The photo is misleading as the hose has large gaps on the side opposite the camera. After fiddling with the hose for over an hour it is clear the wire surrounding the hose is too small to fit over the metal tubes . . .

IMG_5103.JPG

That air intake hose setup is bogus for a 1950 Buick for numerous reasons. In addition to you saying it has large gaps and the pic doesn't show a clamp, the length is about twice as long as it should be and both ends should not overlap both circumferences.  Joseph P. Indusi says it correctly: one end of the hose fits over and the other is tucked inside. Look in a Buick Master Parts Book under Group 9.787 that shows only two hose clamps are used on a 1950 Buick installation: one hose clamp for the air intake hose to the RIGHT air tube and one hose clamp for the air intake hose to the LEFT air tube. 

Anyone care to disagree with the Master Parts Book? 

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Thank you for your insights Al, much appreciated.

I do not have access to a Buick Master  Parts book, can you point me to the correct book for 1950 Buicks?

I am learning as I go, and am doing my best to correct any issues with the car.

Thanks

23 hours ago, Kartman01 said:

. . . I do not have access to a Buick Master  Parts book, can you point me to the correct book for 1950 Buicks? . . . 

Buick published a Master Chassis Parts Book (Groups 1-9) and a separate Master Body Parts Book (Groups 10-15) on loose leaf 3-hole paper for their dealerships. Each book typically covered a range of several years and each book contains 600-700 pages. I have never seen a book published for one specific year. Original books in loose-leaf form and bounded repops show up on eBay covering various eras. For straight eight owners I would suggest getting a set that covers through 1953 — for early V-8 engine owners I would suggest getting a set that covers through 1956. Thanks. 

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

On 5/31/2021 at 10:16 AM, Kartman01 said:

Folks, in doing an internet search I ran across these hoses.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173983399235?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D30602274bfdc417080c5da1c8a501231%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D173983399235%26itm%3D173983399235%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A28dafae0-c21a-11eb-9662-2ee449845e55|parentrq%3Ac2c455b61790a4b7156a6ae3ffdbf726|iid%3A1

They certainly look correct, but the ad indicates the hose goes ‘over’ the metal tubes on one side and goes ‘inside’ the metal tube on the other side.

Is this correct for a 1950 Buick Super?

Thanks in advance for any help!

This ebay add is from CARS Inc NJ.   You can call them and inquire.