1927 chevy engine

1927 Tim

I acquired a engine from a fella who died before he could complete his project. When I pulled the head, cylinder three had grooves in the side. Anybody got any ideas on why the grooves? Gas will just blowby. Thanks TIm

8447D2F6-E734-4D44-ADEA-40219FFD269E.jpeg

5C4A1E59-626C-4C65-A93E-F7B0508D619C.jpeg

Wrist pins are held in place with clamp bolts, same as Ford Model T. Ether the bolt was left out or came loose allowing the pin to slide.

If your looking to rebuild the entire engine this is not really an issue , just write the $4,000 to 6,000 check.

If your looking to do a good old fashion back yard  service overhaul ,you may just repair the one cylinder with a sleeve and have it bored back to what ever the pistons are now ,if that piston is reusable and fit a new wrist pin etc.

Some bore honing ,new rings across the board ,some valve grinding and bearing fitting. You may very well get several thousand more miles out it.  True up the clutch works for good measure.

• Thanks 1

The Filling Station Chevrolet parts

Do a little price shopping on parts and labor cost, I know darn well if you can turn a wrench and know something about rebuilding engines you could do the work for a lot less then suggested above and maybe learn some new skills in the process. Think about how much you are going to use the car; Few hundred or less miles or few thousand miles a year? Are you going on cross country tours or just putting around the neighborhood? Even if you sold it later, chances are the next owner would not be driving a major miles ether.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mark Gregush said:

The Filling Station Chevrolet parts

Do a little price shopping on parts and labor cost, I know darn well if you can turn a wrench and know something about rebuilding engines you could do the work for a lot less then suggested above and maybe learn some new skills in the process. Think about how much you are going to use the car; Few hundred or less miles or few thousand miles a year? Are you going on cross country tours or just putting around the neighborhood? Even if you sold it later, chances are the next owner would not be driving a major miles ether.

The numbers that I state are for a good machine shop to do the work to make it a "long block" engine rebuild.  If you are going to do just a re-ring, insert bearings and a valve job and you are going to do most of the work yourself, probably can be done for less than $1K.

• Like 1

Guess after looking at the current Filling Station Catalog, in the last year they have lost a number of parts suppliers for pistons and semi finished mains. But no fear, except maybe the pocket book on the mains; Kohnke Rebabbitting Service | Facebook

Is the DA6 a Dodge and didn't they have insert bearings on the mains?

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 8:41 AM, Larry Schramm said:

For an engine rebuild, usually consider about $1,000-$1,500/hole(cylinder)

1929 Cadillac V-8. Complete pro shop expert rebuild. (I didn't feel capable to do this one) 

Babbitt bearings and so complete that the expert also put new pins and rollers on the lifters(!)  $14,000. . . 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Mark Gregush said:

Guess after looking at the current Filling Station Catalog, in the last year they have lost a number of parts suppliers for pistons and semi finished mains. But no fear, except maybe the pocket book on the mains; Kohnke Rebabbitting Service | Facebook

Is the DA6 a Dodge and didn't they have insert bearings on the mains?

The mains have bronze shells. They are placed in form and babbit is poured. Once done they are placed in block and line bored.83575D68-191C-4AA3-B863-1815A7D795EC.jpeg.0acee05803017249eb1f0e077c9c855e.jpeg6FBFB84D-CD48-40E3-8986-3F9200666F9D.jpeg.baf905f0a5c02ccfade381699c4654fb.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, m-mman said:

1929 Cadillac V-8. Complete pro shop expert rebuild. (I didn't feel capable to do this one) 

Babbitt bearings and so complete that the expert also put new pins and rollers on the lifters(!)  $14,000. . . 

8 X $1,500.00=$12,000.00.  Your $14K is close, plus there were more hard parts added.

• Like 1