What Buick did I find today?

K8096

1 hour ago, K8096 said:

Found this 1940 or 1941 Buick sitting in a driveway today.   Has 1973 plates on it, so may have just come out of storage.  What series is this?    I don't think it's the big one with dual carbs.      

Very hard to tell what series from that 1 photo.

You need more photos.  Data plate will help a lot

Not uncommon for the 1941-42 dual carb set ups to be removed or added

Edited by 1939_Buick
40-41 to 41-42 (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, 1939_Buick said:

Very hard to tell what series from that 1 photo.

You need more photos.  Data plate will help a lot

Not uncommon for the 1940-41 dual carb set ups to be removed or added

It is a 1941 for sure.

41-42 had dual carbs, not 40.

May be a Super. Correct on hard to tell.

Ben

Ben

• Like 2

As Ben says, it's definitely a '41.  I looks like the C body to me, which would make it either a Super or a Roadmaster.  Given the rarity of the Roadmaster coupe, I'm betting on Super.  It would have come equipped with dual carbs.  It was not only the "big ones" that had dual carbs.

• Like 1

It is a1941. The 1940 has a narrower grill. Also this car has the fender spears on the rear fenders, a 1941 feature. If you use a telephoto lens you will be able to read the model name from the hood opener at the leading edge of the hood side trim. Ditto on Ben and Neil’s comments.320B8774-4551-4580-8043-0547EAEACADA.jpeg.626ec2994a10485972f0025d5ecc8f8d.jpeg

7 hours ago, K8096 said:

Thanks guys.   I’ll have a closer look in the near future and report back.  

The model name appears on the hood release handles, which are at the front of the "grills" on the fender under the hood on each side.

I count four segments on the hood louvers.  Supers and Specials had four, Roadmasters had five.  I'm not that good with model identification on 41's, so all I can do is narrow it down.

• Like 1

Im gonna say Super. The bottom of the door doesnt "flair out", its a smooth curve to the rocker panel on '40&'41. Dont Door bottoms on '41 Spec & Chev bodies have a rocker panel looking shape stamped into bottoms? Ask that man that recently bought one, yes?

13 hours ago, 2carb40 said:

Im gonna say Super. The bottom of the door doesnt "flair out", its a smooth curve to the rocker panel on '40&'41. Dont Door bottoms on '41 Spec & Chev bodies have a rocker panel looking shape stamped into bottoms? Ask that man that recently bought one, yes?

1940 Special had a running board. 

Went back & looked again today.   It is a Super and it does have the dual carbs.   It's fairly complete, but missing the air cleaner.  Mileage reads 60,716, so that's probably 160,716.   Has a lot of rust on the rear half.   

IMG_6753.JPG

IMG_6756.JPG

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

Agreed there MAY be good parts if they are in good condition. Yes the manifold is worth something if not cracked. What I am saying is unless that was my great grandfather's car It is a money pit. IMHO. 

• Like 2