For Sale: 1929 Packard Eight 633 four passenger Coupe - $90,000 - Modesto, CA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1929 Packard Eight 633 four passenger Coupe - $90,000 - Modesto, CA

1929 Packard Opera Coupe - auto parts - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

1929 Packard Opera Coupe:  Complete car and is running. Well maintained and is completely original. Straight Eight Engine and is an opera coupe, which is very rare.

Copy and paste in your email:  302fd870bf0936fb9d9284e238262c8b@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1929 Packard Eight 633 four passenger Coupe.

'29 Packard 4pass Coupe CA a.jpg

'29 Packard 4pass Coupe CA b.jpg

'29 Packard 4pass Coupe CA c.jpg

'29 Packard 4pass Coupe CA d.jpg

'29 Packard 4pass Coupe CA e.jpg

'29 Packard 4pass Coupe CA f.jpg

'29 Packard 4pass Coupe CA g.jpg

For 90 grand would it be asking too much to pull it out of the garage/building & take some decent photos? NADA doesn't list an opera coupe. I don't think you will find an opera coupe listed in any price guide. What the hell is an opera coupe? Could you ONLY drive it to the opera? I suspect it's more a case of making something sound better; in this case a 4 passenger coupe becomes an opera coupe, Oh how elegant! Kinda like all Muncie 4 speeds are now called rockcrushers.

• Like 3

Just now, George Smolinski said:

For 90 grand would it be asking too much to pull it out of the garage/building & take some decent photos? NADA doesn't list an opera coupe. I don't think you will find an opera coupe listed in any price guide. What the hell is an opera coupe? Could you ONLY drive it to the opera? I suspect it's more a case of making something sound better; in this case a 4 passenger coupe becomes an opera coupe, Oh how elegant! Kinda like all Muncie 4 speeds are now called rockcrushers.

An "opera coupe" is an earlier version of the "victoria coupe" which is basically a 2 door 4 passenger body.   Interesting car that is probably overpriced by 2.5x.   There is a buyer for that car in the 25-35k range.

To prove my point,   remember how the 745 Packard 3 window was not finding a buyer in the 60 range,  which is 3 times the car as this one.

Yeah, but don’t fergit . That car “is completely original”. Uh HUH ! Right down to that upholstery, paint, and speedometer displaying the original miles. Also “is very rare”. Sumpin’ to do with the operatic nature of the coupe as the ad copy reads. Way back in ‘89 or ‘90, cruising around Spain in a little rented , ($127/day during the most adverse exchange rate to the U.S. dollar ever), 1300 cc Renault, we pulled into a Southern city called See-ville. Bit like what they used to call the hardtop versions of the Eldos of decades past. And, being a tourist wanting to take on some local culture, you just KNOW I had to go get a haircut there , even though I didn’t need one. Bragging rights of course. “Yeah ? Oh yeah ? Seen the Mona Lisa , did you ? Li’l Mermaid up in Copenhagen you say ? Guard change at Buc’ Palace sent shivers up-down yer spine ? And I really don’t care how many Heronymous Bosch hang in the Prado. Yeah ? Well guess what  : I had MY hair cut by the most famous barber the world has ever known”. Barber. Think he was some character I have heard of starring in a G. Rossini opera. That’s what traveling is all about. Bragging rights. Go ahead and buy that all-original Packard.

-    Carl 

Haircut by the Barber of Seville! I love it! However, I have always loved Rossini!

When I was still practically a kid, some fifty some years ago, and getting into this hobby? An 'Opera Coupe' seemed to be what almost everyone called that body style? And it seemed that everyone knew what they meant. I find it funny that now, it seems nobody calls them that, and almost nobody seems to remember what they used to be called (at least here?). I am sure I saw some era advertising calling them 'Opera Coupes'. I also know that I saw advertising calling them by other names preferred today. Maybe it was some weird local colloquialism then? I took a few minutes and looked through a couple books I have showing advertising of the era. Three and/or four passenger coupe does seem to be the preferred calling.

Since the car is in Modesto Califunny? Maybe they heard it called 'Opera Coupe' from some of the same people I ran into years ago?

AJ- the car isn’t overpriced 2 and a half times.............it must come with that nice motor home parked next to it, along with the garage and property. I understand asking for above market price on anything you list for sale. I don’t understand people who are delusional about their particular thing for sale. He must like seeing the number and the photo of the car on the page. The market for a 29 closed Packard is just about dead......and it’s a nice car and unusual body style. If that car brings in the 20’s today, he would be lucky. Supply and demand...........and the supply is growing every day.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Conjecture, but since the contact person is Carol, I'd surmise this listing is posted by a widow seeking to disperse her late husband's worldly goods.  The price is what he told her the car was worth multiple times and that if he should depart before she, that is what she should get for it.  

Edited by 58L-Y8 (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Conjecture, but since the contact person is Carol, I'd surmise this listing is posted by a widow seeking to disperse her late husband's worldly goods.  The price is what he told her the car was worth multiple times and that if he should depart she, that is what she should get for it.  

This was my exact same thought.

42 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Conjecture, but since the contact person is Carol, I'd surmise this listing is posted by a widow seeking to disperse her late husband's worldly goods.  The price is what he told her the car was worth multiple times and that if he should depart before she, that is what she should get for it.  

My natural disposition is surly, but when I see advertisements like this I try to go easy for just this reason.  The sellers usually don't know any better and they got something dumped in their laps.

Even among us "experts" we having varying ideas of the value of things so imagine being a complete neophyte in that situation.

I did post this yesterday but forgot to hit submit.... I have enjoyed the comments since then.

I do like the completely original statement. Obvious vinyl upholstery done in the 1970s (it looks just like the vinyl they did in my 1925 buick in 1969) and love that more recent 160MPH Stewart speedometer.

4 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

I have the opposite problem:

my fear is that I die and my wife sells my bicycles for what I told her they cost.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1