Atlas tune up parts

JACK M

So I bought a box full of nos Atlas tune up parts at a garage sale yesterday.

I have not inventoried yet but I see that there are several points sets, rotors and condensers. Several parts numbers of each.

Does anybody have application info for these parts?

IM004858.JPG

Atlas as I recall was the house brand of Chevron,Standard and Esso gas station/garages.

There are various catalogs floating around on Ebay and Amazon at times.

You will have to do more scouting .

I use to do many auto swap meets and bought lots of stuff like you have but stopped ,they were hard to move and  because most of the old books at that time were already scoffed up.

I couldn't sell a dam NOS condenser in the box with numbers for $1.00 if I couldn't validate the application 100%

Buyers do NOT know a part number  or numbers(which vary with brand usually) of anything and will not go through 80 sets of NOS points to find a set for their 31 Dodge for $3.00.. So if you don't know exactly what you have your stuck.

1999 I tossed a pickup truck load of 1925 -1940 ignition stuff  after flea market hauling and storing the junk for several years as the boxes rotted.

Three NOS  Mass and Conn dealers didn't want the junk for nothing,but If I brought it to them,they would pay my gas..LOL.

If your not going in the vintage ignition business ,offer them to a specialty house for a just few bucks over what you paid ,but they maynot want to pay shipping on a small lot.

This is my lame experiences.Gurrrr!

Common Nos Sparks plugs are another story but not by much👼

• Like 2

Jack,

I sold many Atlas parts years ago working at the local Chevron station. If I remember correctly, many of the Atlas numbers cross over to Standard numbers.

A little research could verify (or disprove) this pretty quickly, I think.

Cheers, Greg

I too sold a ton of Atlas parts at an Enco station in N. Seattle.

Used to know the application for a lot of the part #'s.....not anymore!

Better search ebay for a cheap Atlas parts book. If that's a possibility on ebay anymore.

• Like 1

I'm amazed at the almost complete lack of info on Atlas garage stuff using search engines. We all know the stuff existed for decades and was high quality. Greg's observation about the Standard Motor Parts numbering similarity confirms Atlas' quality.

There was a clean working condition 70s Atlas engine analyzer for sale on one of my Olds forums awhile back. If it hadn't been for the logistics of shipping it 1400 miles I'd have loved to have owned it. Looked similar to the Marquette we had in auto tech school in 1974-76, and I loved that thing.

• Like 1

I have a bunch of older(40s-70s) ignition parts of all kinds and I can confirm that Atlas and Standard ignition numbers are not the same. Your best bet is to find a vintage Atlas catalog at a swap meet, estate sale or on Ebay if you can find one. An alternative approach would be to locate another common brand catalog (Echlin, Poweready, Standard, Kem, etc.) with an Interchange Section and some cold snowy rainy miserable night when you have nothing to do crossover all your numbers for identification. Most of my stuff is pretty common and not worth much of anything except to me or an acquaintance with an antique vehicle that needs an older set of points, condenser, cap, rotor or something. I used to take some of my stuff to swap meets in my $1 pile with an identification catalog in the box but with so much going on at a large Eastern Meet few people would bother to stop and take the time to pick thru those boxes. 

IMG_0001 (1).JPG

IMG_0003 (1).JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for the correction 55er.

Memory fails, but I was fairly certain the Atlas numbers matched up with another manufacturer. Clearly not Standard, as you pointed out. The only thing I know for certain now is that this will keep me awake til the wee hours tonight! 😄

5 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Thanks for the correction 55er.

Memory fails, but I was fairly certain the Atlas numbers matched up with another manufacturer. Clearly not Standard, as you pointed out. The only thing I know for certain now is that this will keep me awake til the wee hours tonight! 😄

Maybe Niehoff? or KEM?

I've got Niehoff & Kem catalogs too and they don't match up with the Atlas numbers either. Just spending a few minutes going thru popular ignition interchanges without a lot of digging I can't find a match. Atlas numbers are practically all only 3-digit numbers while most of the dozens of competitors have part numbers with letter prefixes before the numbers. It's possible Atlas numbers did match someone else's but I can't find them just checking with quick cross-references. 

I grabbed this stuff as its American made (at least that's what it says in the boxes) and should be better quality stuff than is currently available.

If I could do three or four tune ups out of this stash it will have paid for itself.

Last time I had a stash like this it was a Niehoff (I think) in the cabinet and about thrice the inventory.

I was able to match up several times without knowing the P/Ns so was handy but a bit time consuming.

But, Someone with enough money got that away from me as I don't really do much of that kind of work anymore anyway.

This Atlas stuff can sit on the shelf and I know there will be some time that I will be happy its there.

55er, is the book you show something you own, or just something you found on the net?

Correct on the three digit P/Ns

There are several #200 condensers here as well as 303 rotors in this box. (Just a quick comparison)

If this is your catalogue could I send you a list?

It would be handy to me to know what I have.

Delco uses three digit numbers, I don't think they correspond. Condensers are 200 series, then Then I checked rotors and they are all 400 series....  I have a standard catalog at the other house and I believe there is an interchange section. If I go over later I will grab it. 

3 minutes ago, John348 said:

Delco uses three digit numbers, I don't think they correspond. Condensers are 200 series, then Then I checked rotors and they are all 400 series....  I have a standard catalog at the other house and I believe there is an interchange section. If I go over later I will grab it. 

That would be great.

I check this site in the mornings.

10 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Thanks Joe, this will help.

VL, I ended selling the whole thing. Probably shouldn't have but the ID-ing was about 20 times this.

Yes well I probably should have kept all the NOS parts, but same. Selling them they way we did was probably for the best. Would have been different if I’d have lived closer. 

Hope your doing well. Thanks for installing the tub and all the other stuff you’ve done on the Retractable BTW! 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1