Snubber help, for the 117 White

edinmass

This one is outside my zone of past experience, 

Is there anyone making and selling parts? Anyone know the brand of snubber? Is it common for cars and trucks in 1917? Any info would help.

IMG_1940.jpeg

IMG_1943.jpeg

IMG_1941.jpeg

IMG_1942.jpeg

Those could be Gabriels or Watson. Gabriels should be embossed on the front cover.

Most strapping sizes are available. If the springs are intact you should be good.

Take that nut off the cover and take a look. Clean the cover and look for a name.

Dennis

I've got them on the front of my 28' Whippet.

Here's a bit of info if they are Gabriel Snubbers.  They are tricky to say the least to reassemble and difficult to pull tight when adjusting.

I've got another article that deals with both. I'll try and dig it up.

Strapping is available.

Bill

Gabriel1.jpg

Gabriel 2.jpg

Edited by wmsue (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The strapping inside is separated by thin strips of brass to reduce friction.  The brass is usually cracked.  I replaced it with very thin polished stainless steel.  I set mine up using the above instructions. I drove the car with them removed, then with them fitted after rebuilding.  I could not feel any difference.

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I know this guy named Ed who can apparently fix anything, I bet he can help you. He's on this forum a lot.

He’s all hype. His secret to fixing things is ask other people. 🤔

Actually have never serviced a set. Rather send them out. There are only two, on the rear. Other side is fine. Interested it there are parts available.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

edinmass, Hi, I can rebuild or supply you the strapping for your snubber shocks,  Strapping 1 1/4  or 1  1/2  is $1500. per ft   

Can rebuild for $200.00 each   Andy's Garage    andygarage@comcast.net       www.wiseandysgarage.com  302-245-7276

Thanks everyone, I have r&r and adjusted them on Duesenberg’s several times. Never dug one open. I’ll give Andy a call.  

• Like 1

I sent the snubber off to Andy to repair. While I'm certain I can fix it myself, I have found that people who specialize in certain items often have years of experience that I would have to add to my learning curve. Also, he has parts and supplies in stock. I'm certain its in good hands. I requested photos of the repair, and will post them here. Best, Ed

• Like 4