Garage Music?

BobinVirginia

On 11/22/2023 at 7:17 PM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Great collaboration!  Another one to crank up.  😊

Who doesn’t aspire to be an “overfed long haired leaping gnome”......? Starring in a Hollywood movie........

THEN.......you know you’ve made it. 

Spill the Wine............

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, John Bloom said:

Who doesn’t aspire to be an “overfed long haired leaping gnome”......? Starring in a Hollywood movie........

Awesome jam with War!  Most might not realize he sang House Of The Rising Sun’ with the Animals 

Edited by BobinVirginia (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

He sounds more black than most black guys.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

One of the worst things is being forced to listen to music you hate. 

Unfortunately that's ME !

I have what my nephews and brothers call "old farts music" playing when ever I am in "MY" shed.

I like a lot of things mostly from the 50s through to the start of the 70s "disco era" when all interest in modern music "ceased".

I am lucky though because we have a small FM radio station that broadcasts into the local area from a college about two miles down the road and at the times I am in the shed it usually plays my sort of music, on my high tech portable radio tape deck that I picked up on a kerbside clean about 10 years ago and is rarely turned off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2023 at 10:50 PM, Pfeil said:

Point I'm trying to make is; in 1962 you wouldn't have heard half or more of the songs they played in American Graffiti.    is 

Must be a California thing. Richmond stations continued to play the 50s songs up into the 70s. I was listening to them when I was in high school. Then they were oldies stations to take over. 😉 The late 50s songs finally went away from the oldies stations in mid 80s there.

On 11/22/2023 at 1:30 PM, Pfeil said:

For example, if you listen to 60's on SirusXM take a note of all the songs they play. Take the top 20 billboard songs of 1960. You will find that these stations only play and repeatedly play the same songs over and over and only play less than 40% of the top hits of 1960. When someone says they listen to 60's music on those formats what they are saying is they are missing 60% of the songs we really listened to. Funny thing is their selections are not indicative of where the songs were rated in the ratings of the time. 

If you think that's bad, the 50's are even worse. Try listening for a top tenner form 1950-1954. These stations seem to think the fifties music started in 1955.

Yep, that's why I never signed up after the initial trial period on the wife's car. Same thing over and over, just like the local radio stations. I have to seek out further stations, many low power FM  (LPFM) stations play a wide assortment. Since they are low power you have to listen on the web. My friend runs one in Charlottesville, WREN 97.9. He says they very rarely play the same song in a day. 50s to 70s is their range. But, as you say, 50s starts in 1955 right, Elvis?🤣

I know, 5 months later I reply. Ha!😁

6 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

I even remember some putting newer tv’s on top of the old ones to keep using the stereo! Lol

I did TV repair back then at night, and it was extremely common to see a portable on top of the console I was called to fix. And then when the console was too expensive to fix I would be back to fix the portable in a year or two!

6 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

When i,m working, especially if i,m concentrating on a problem or delicate operation, i like the delicious sound of silence.  

I have tinnitus, so it is NEVER QUIET!!!  I like background music to break up the ringing.😉

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

Most might not realize he sang House Of The Rising Sun’ with the Animals

??? Oh, you are young! 🤣 Us old guys know it, we grew up with Eric in the Animals aka "Eric Burdon and the Animals" band and then War.😉🚒🚓🚋🛠️🏎️

• Like 1

Hard for me to fathom that Eric Burdon will be 83 years old next month.🤯

That overfed long haired sleeping gnome is still cranking out music. Did a creditable job with "Tobacco Road" too. Probably the closest thing to John D Loudermilk's original.

Animals:

John D:

• Like 2

Yes the good stuff is out there.  How cool would it be to be the DJ here and have people in like Dick Dale (unfortunately gone now but... wow!)  How is this guy not in the R&R hall of fame??

• Thanks 1

I too suffer from tinnitus. Background noise and music is a welcome relief. I even need to keep the tv on all night long if I want to get some sleep. As for music in the shop. I can take it or leave it. I have a shop radio tuned to what is now 'oldies'. Mostly 70s-90s stuff. I keep the sirius tuned to 70's music. I was born in 64 and am the youngest of 5 with a 10 yr spread. Obviously did not have computers or cell phones to keep me occupied in my youth. We had a tv in the family and a small one in the kitchen. Nothing in the bedroom so music was the entertainment most of the time. I still have the stereo I got as a Christmas present when I was in the 6th grade! There was a wide variety of albums in my house from the early 60's stuff to current music, early 70's. So I have a very broad range of stuff I listen to. I have handed my albums down to my son but I had many hundreds at one time. I cannot think of the last time I bought any music for any listening device.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Yes the good stuff is out there.  How cool would it be to be the DJ here and have people in like Dick Dale (unfortunately gone now but... wow!)  How is this guy not in the R&R hall of fame??

The 90s thought they invented speed metal.

Uh-huh.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

The 90s thought they invented speed metal.

Uh-huh.

Funny, among other big guitar names Eddie VH always said he was heavily influenced by Dick Dale.  His son Jimmy is a professional musician as well and plays surf music as well.  He is a terror on guitar but keeps mainly on the west coast & overseas.  Hope to see him live at some point. 

• Like 1