mystery truck

J.H.Boland

Here is the hood ornament on it. The front end looks just about like a 36 or 37 GMC bus I bought and brought in one time. Had a 707 cubic inch 6-cyl motor,two fuel pumps,two distributors,they didn't want it to break down out in the Red Desert somewhere crossing Wyoming. Found a 1937 Australian silver dollar and other coins in the nooks and crannies. More to the story but I won't bore everyone with it.

IMG_0440.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

The grille does not look like GMC to me from all of the photos of them I have found.

I agree.  A hood ornament (rad cap) is easy to change.  The front fenders have had surgery done to them.  I think the headlights have been moved.  The cab appears to be about 1931-32 vintage whereas the front clip appears to be 1935-36, something which Studebaker was known to do.  The plain front bumper looks like 1935ish Studebaker.

Edited by dictator27 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

The grille does not look like GMC to me from all of the photos of them I have found.

I agree. Ive been trying-with no luck- to find a GMC truck that embodies all the seemingly disparate parts this truck has! The cab looks like a 1932-33 type, the grille is similar to the '36 design, but with the center bar removed. The fenders look more at home on a Kenworth or Federal and those aluminum wheels  seem to be of a far more recent origin.

I'm leaning towards a "bitsa" made up of a newer drivetrain (the stance, the multi-stud aluminum wheels and the way-too-wide saddle tanks) with a early 1930's GMC (or Yellow Coach?) cab and hood with  a slightly later grille fitted to it. The point where the fenders meet the grille and the headlight stanchions seem to exhibit some especially crude "coach work".  The tow hooks on top of the frame rails also seem more in line with a more modern chassis.

13 minutes ago, dictator27 said:

I agree.  A hood ornament (rad cap) is easy to change.  The front fenders have had surgery done to them.  I think the headlights have been moved.  The cab appears to be about 1931-32 vintage whereas the front clip appears to be 1935-36, something which Studebaker was known to do.  The plain front bumper looks like 1935ish Studebaker.

I shoulda looked before I submitted! I think we are on the same track here...

43 minutes ago, J.H.Boland said:

So maybe it's a "one piece at a time" special. 

It is a "let's throw something at it and see if it sticks" truck.  Someone put a lot of effort into it.  Too bad the body work at the front of it is so crude.

This may be an example of depression era thinking. Back in the day, if you were lucky enough to have a truck and if it was a good one, you held on to it. If something happened, you repaired or replaced parts. The truck was obviously a working truck when it was parked in the field and may not be derelict even now. Thus, what we here may well be an example of a much beloved truck that had the fenders and lights replaced along the way.

Here are a couple pics of the top a 30-31era GMC shell,different but similar. In the late 20's and for awhile,GMC was in cahoots with Yellow Coach Bus Lines. The bus I had had an aluminum skin over wood framing. I believe the truck we are looking at is the chassis of one of the busses that had the body fall apart and they mounted this cab off of something. Look under the drivers door at that box sticking out that the driver has to climb over to get in and out. I believe that's part of the old bus that had to stay for some reason. No truck came out of the factory with that obstacle that I can imagine. Wonder what the scripts on the side of the hood say, can't make it out. I don't have any books that show busses but I'm guessing that's where a similar front end will show up.

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

I think the box is just a battery box built into the rear of the fender. I think there is quite a bit of running board usable to get in and out of the cab. The fuel tank appears to be just behind the end of the cab.

I expect the hood nameplates say " GENERAL MOTORS TRUCK ". but I agree you really can't tell from the photo. The rad shell almost looks Dodge to me , but many trucks in this era are quite similarly styled .

Greg

22 minutes ago, 3macboys said:

How about this 1935 GMC for comparison - the yellow paint makes it difficult to see some of the body lines but the same recesses windshield, deep rad all be it without the center bar, same hood sides and headlights   More about this truck is here:  https://www.southdakotaccc.org/post.php?read-about=solid-foundation

85-35-GMC.jpg

That is the closest example yet! The cab and hood are dead on. They even seem to have the same headlight stanchions and state/year (KAN/1935) tag!

GMC-1.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/3/2021 at 1:07 PM, sagefinds said:

Found a 1937 Australian silver dollar and other coins in the nooks and crannies. 

Could be on a fortune there!? Australia didn't change over to decimal currency, from Pounds, Shillings and Pence, until 1966 when we went to Dollars and Cents. Now if you had a  1937 Australian Penny, they sell for over AU$80,000(US$62,000approx). Like to see a photo of the coin.

On 3/10/2021 at 5:21 PM, Ozstatman said:

Could be on a fortune there!? Australia didn't change over to decimal currency, from Pounds, Shillings and Pence, until 1966 when we went to Dollars and Cents. Now if you had a  1937 Australian Penny, they sell for over AU$80,000(US$62,000approx). Like to see a photo of the coin.

I guess we're getting off topic but here it is,took a bit to find it. Think it's worth a buck or two? I was a much younger man when I hauled that big pile in in four loads. 

IMG_0462.JPG

IMG_0463.JPG

2 hours ago, sagefinds said:

I guess we're getting off topic but here it is,took a bit to find it. Think it's worth a buck or two? I was a much younger man when I hauled that big pile in in four loads. 

Definitley off topic. As to value unfortunately in that condition not worth a fortune. Apparently coin collectors, I'm not one, are looking for unmarked coins, yours is well used.

Edited by Ozstatman (see edit history)