For Sale: 1937 Studebaker Dictator Coupe - $17,500 - Holland, MI - Project - Not Mine

For Sale: 1937 Studebaker Dictator Coupe - $17,500 - Holland, MI - Project.

1937 Studebaker Coupe - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

1937 Studebaker Coupe, low mileage, running, driving very solid car that needs restoration or drive as is. $17,500.00 serious inquiries only.

Copy and paste in your email:  4bae5d56529d37adac962ba7ce560018@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1937 Studebaker Dictator Coupe,

Although a bit pricey, the 1936-'37 'Batwing' window coupes are the holy grail for Studebaker collectors.

'37 Studebaker Dictator coupe MI a.jpg

'37 Studebaker Dictator coupe MI b.jpg

'37 Studebaker Dictator coupe MI c.jpg

'37 Studebaker Dictator coupe MI d.jpg

'37 Studebaker Dictator coupe MI e.jpg

'37 Studebaker Dictator coupe MI f.jpg

• Like 1

First time I saw one of these coupes was at a car show ten year ago on Burbank, California. Absolutely love the design and I understand that is may not float everyone's boat. Still think it is awfully cool, but after nearly completing the resto of my Buick, I have come down to earth. I would be concerned if I were to 17.5 K for this car without knowing what the availability of parts were. This could be a 40, or 50 thousand car when completed. Still I love the style. 

1 hour ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

It's interesting to compare this rather plain dash board to the stylish dash in the '36 Studebaker that's also for sale in this group.

I agree, the dash on the '37 does not do the car justice compared to the '36, but the sedan is seriously lacking in the cool factor. Too many door and very boxy locking. 

3 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The 1937 models of various makes with the grille bars wrapped completely around onto the hood sides came about from the powerful styling influence of the Cord 810.  

I'm sure that you are right about that. It makes sense:

1936 Cord 810 | Classic Driver Market

I've always liked the '38 Ford Standards in this same regard, however I don't think that everybody likes them much:

File:1938 Ford Model 81A Standard Coupe (27964602624).jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I'm sure that you are right about that. It makes sense:

1936 Cord 810 | Classic Driver Market

I've always liked the '38 Ford Standards in this same regard, however I don't think that everybody likes them much:

File:1938 Ford Model 81A Standard Coupe (27964602624).jpg

That '38 standard is a sharp car! I think they're nicer than the '38 Deluxe/'39 Standard, which I've always considered a bit of a hiccup in a run of beautifully styled Fords. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

I really like those cars, such a great shape, but unfortunately they seem very susceptible to street rodders and billet wheels when i see them in person. i dont know enough about the Studebaker market to have much feeling about the price, though in the current condition, it seems a little high, but for a running, driving, non-street rodded car, (sans the upholstery) that i dont see for sale often, maybe its in line.  

Was there a designation for the rumble seats versus a trunk throughout the dictator, commander to president models?  I've had a picture saved in one of my folders, that i originally thought was a dictator.  

1609988581314.thumb.jpg.d4e95653d146e1c6ebbbb00d2b514f7e.jpg

Edited by Stooge (see edit history)

22 hours ago, Stooge said:

"Was there a designation for the rumble seats versus a trunk throughout the dictator, commander to president models?  I've had a picture saved in one of my folders, that I originally thought was a dictator."  

The trunk coupes were designated three passenger versus the rumble-seat coupes which were five passenger.  Studebaker fielded only the six cylinder Dictator Series 5A and 6A and the eight cylinder President Series 3C for 1937.  Of the two Dictator models, the 5A was the least expensive, still utilized the straight front axle; for $20 more, the 6A came with Planar independent front suspension.   Same selection of body styles for each series: this coupe, a four door sedan and a two door sedan named St. Regis.  With a built-in trunk, they were designated 'Cruising sedans'.  No convertibles of any style were offered.  

The Dictators at 89,002 comprised 90.8%; the President at 9,001 only 9.2% of total 1937 production.   No breakdown of quantities of each body style has been published, to my knowledge.  The coupe with a single taillight is likely a Series 5A Dictator.

Edited by 58L-Y8
corrected syntax errors (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Maybe I'm nuts, but It seems to me that I can recall a tip-out (not a roll-down) rear window on a rumble seat coupe.

You are correct on the 36 coupes.   The windshield also opened on that year.   In 37 they used vent windows and the others were stationary.

• Like 1