1931 Stutz SV16 Coupe

43 minutes ago, 1950panhead said:

Is $15k reasonable ?

Ed will agree but I think it would find a buyer in the 30-40k range.  Maybe.

There is another one of those landualette coupes that has been for sale forever.   Also for crazy money but at least it is a running driving car.

A point of reference as to why the seller is smoking crack.  This fully restored SV16 coupe sold for 175k last year.

1931 Stutz SV-16 Cabriolet Coupe

• Like 1

Not a Cconvertible- it is either a coupe that someone has modified the rear or it is a landaullete coupe (which I have seen a tan and brown one w/orange wheels - just never seen a photo of of unrestored one in the wild from 1930's to 1970's).

And, no, it is probably not a 15K car (if in United States), but on the high side it is probably not a 25K car either (if in United States) - it has plenty of faults such as wheels and .... 

Here are some pictures of this car from a couple of years ago when it was for sale in California. If the fire was hot enough to destory the wire wheels makes one wounder what else is not safe to use like wheel spindles etc.

Stutz-1.jpg

Stutz-4.jpg

Stutz-Interior1.jpg

Stutz-8.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Not a Cconvertible- it is either a coupe that someone has modified the rear or it is a landaullete coupe (which I have seen a tan and brown one w/orange wheels - just never seen a photo of of unrestored one in the wild from 1930's to 1970's).

And, no, it is probably not a 15K car (if in United States), but on the high side it is probably not a 25K car either (if in United States) - it has plenty of faults such as wheels and .... 

John,   you are correct about the landualette coupe never having been seen in period by at least moi.   I have yet to see a picture,  catalog picture, or anything.    Doesn't necessarily mean they didn't make a few,  but it makes you raise your eyebrows.

• Like 2

I absolutely love Stutz automobiles........and SV-16’s are fine with me. That said, the Landualette coupe to me is a non starter............🤮

I’ll take a club sedan over it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

When this Stutz SV-16 finally gets restored, bets are it magically becomes a convertible coupe...

Yup........and it will probably end up as a DV.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I sold this BB a few years ago for around $100K. Admittedly it's not an SV, but it was a #1 quality custom-bodied cabriolet.

1067819507_0021.thumb.jpg.927d0dd4b7e6d0ac7e854d4d7ecc6c7a.jpg

Stutz-Interior1.thumb.jpg.1567431199dc33

Hope you're not taller than about 5' 6" if you want to drive it...

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Phillips wasn’t a great builder........they were batch building in 25, 50, and 100 units. Door hinges were middle of the road at best, as was fit and finish. I regard Fisher bodies on Buick’s as higher quality. They were placed on Packards in the mid 20’s. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2020 at 8:04 PM, Matt Harwood said:

I sold this BB a few years ago for around $100K. Admittedly it's not an SV, but it was a #1 quality custom-bodied cabriolet.

1067819507_0021.thumb.jpg.927d0dd4b7e6d0ac7e854d4d7ecc6c7a.jpg

Stutz-Interior1.thumb.jpg.1567431199dc33

Hope you're not taller than about 5' 6" if you want to drive it...

That is a really nice car!   The changes from AA to BB to M to SV are minor and incremental but they do add up from beginning to end.    They AA had the water brakes which were Lockheed juice by BB.   Small engine improvements along the way but not earth shattering until the DOHC of the DV.   The big difference with an SV16 vs your car Matt is the later flowing fenders and drop center wheels with hubcaps.