Door jamb switch question?

There is a gent in ROA who will rebuild yours for $15.00each plus postage. His turn around time is immediate. First class work for sure. The gents First name is Wolfgang and he is in Kansas. I left a lot of holes in contact info For Wolfgang. I’ll dig it out and send along. By the timeI find the info someone else might fill you in. Nonetheless I’ll hunt the contact info.

Turbinator

• Like 1

The rebuilds use beryllium copper which is superior to the original material.  Paul Meltzer (not sure if he is still a member or not) rebuilt them for years before Wolfgang picked up where he left off.

Don’t buy any NOS ones if you find them for sale as they will fail in short order.  They were junk when new.

• Like 1

DO NOT buy the "recommended replacement from OPGI"  It's no where close to the original.  The original has three wires running to it, OPGI's quack has only two and the switches do not work on the same principle. You can tell my looking at the picture in their catalog that it's all wrong.

• Like 1

I am still rebuilding door jamb switches but I do not have ones that I sell.  I recondition and replace parts as necessary, but need to start from a core..  The phone in the above is not correct that is an old number that I used to have.  PM me for the correct number or use the email it is correct.

By the way thanks for all the kind words

Rock on

gord

Edited by msdminc
add (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the topic of door switches, these are the ones from the '64 Riviera I'm parting out.  I do not know if the work or not.  There are no tears in the rubber.

If these can help you out, shoot me a PM with a reasonable offer.

David

doorsw1.jpg.b7d9da747323ff8e6a480bec97b0bd47.jpgdoorsw2.jpg.814b8842adf0d3d82e0e10c8508e2e25.jpgdoorsw3.jpg.add39f01171b70b0c4a67aff7f7d6247.jpg

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

If your still not happy with the rebuilt originals then go with the brand new switches James @Bestoffercountssells. Top notch switches, they come with the new boot that looks original, an extra ground strap is also added & all the control switchesws in my 65 work the lights like they are suppose to.  

I don't understand an "extra ground strap". The switch itself works when it grounds out.  The switch is on the ground side of the circuit, not the power side.

One grounding strap does not ground three circuits. When you ground the door jamb switches that completes the circuit and turns on  all of the interior lights.  Grounding a switch is not the same as groungind a socket. Grounding the switch would turn the interior lights on constantly. 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

45 minutes ago, RivNut said:

One grounding strap does not ground three circuits. When you ground the door jamb switches that completes the circuit and turns on  all of the interior lights.  Grounding a switch is not the same as groungind a socket. Grounding the switch would turn the interior lights on constantly. 

I would imagine the extra ground is for the switch body to car body which often fails because the ground connection from switch body to car body is a "passive", interference connection.... the complete circuit goes like this...battery voltage to switch contacts to switch body (when the door is open) to ground strap to car body back to car battery completing the circuit. When the door is closed the switch opens and opens the circuit.

Tom

I thought that battery voltage went directly to the lamps.  That's how you can turn on the lamps from the three individual switches - light switch, courtesy light, and rear console.  Then when the ground (door jamb, etc.) was connected the circuit was complete.  ?????

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

I thought that battery voltage went directly to the lamps.  That's how you can turn on the lamps from the three individual switches - light switch, courtesy light, and rear console.  Then when the ground (door jamb, etc.) was connected the circuit was complete.  ?????

Yes, the voltage travels through the bulbs to the switches, but from your previous posts I know you are aware of that. I was more concerned with explaining the purpose of the additional ground at the switches to you....and of course we both neglected to mention the fuse box too...but that doesnt pertain to your confusion about the ground either.

Tom