Hello, new to the forum. 1954 Skyliner

mac1gt

I have chance to buy a 1954 Skyliner for 4K. I don't know a lot about them, but it appears they were only built in 1954. Just trying to get an idea if it is worth it in it's present shape. The only rust thru is in the trunk. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

IMG_1197 copy.jpg

IMG_1189 copy.jpg

IMG_1192 copy.jpg

IMG_1193 copy.jpg

IMG_1194 copy.jpg

https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1954-ford-skyliner?utm_medium=Promoted Listing&utm_source=Classifieds&utm_campaign=1954-ford-skyliner

Check out this one ready to go for comparison.  Note the asking price.

Also, the glass roof was available in 1955 Fords in the Crown Victoria trim.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

37 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I too would be very careful in purchasing something in this condition.  If a one year only  parts for certain areas might be a nightmare.  Look, look, look at everything closely. 

Sounds like I will passing on this project. I was already thinking parts would be a nightmare.  Already have one project going, 1965 F1, plenty of parts out there for it.   

Thanks for your feedback.

• Like 1

1st do you really want a manual transmission ?

2nd is it drivable as is ?

3rd in my experience the end cost of a car is about the same (finished car often  less) but a finished car you can enjoy now.

4th seem to be a lot of good deals under $5k right now, just need to look.

How skilled are you to do the work the car needs? Do you have the time to do it? Do you want a car you can use in a year or two or three?  I can not help on value - that for me would be determined for what has to be $pent on the car for work I could not do myself. What parts need to be located and purchased ( are the wheels correct?) Do you have the facility and equipment to cut out the rust and form and weld in new metal?  Just to buy the materials to paint the car ( thinner, primer, color paint, sandpaper, body filler, compound to rub the finish out once applied etc) will at a minimum cost $1,500.

Does the car run? Does it need and exhaust system? Obviously needs tires.  You need to have answers to those questions first before you decide to buy anything.

• Like 1

If someone offered me this car for free with the understanding that I had to restore it I would turn it down in a minute but then I have been there myself.   Trying not to be negative but this is a money pit and not a valuable car when finished.  On the other hand if you have a lot of free time on your hands and wish to try your luck at restoration offer them a thousand.  Several years ago a friend purchased a 32 Packard coupe in this condition and restored it to a AACA first prize.  He then sold it for $50K less than he had in it.  When I was young I thought my time was free.  As I look back I wish I had spent more time with family and less on my hobbies

• Like 2

Better 1954 Ford Crestline Skyliners turn up on an occasional basis, this one is pretty much a parts car.  Check the For Sale sections here frequently, there are many good choices in better, immediately usable condition old cars available, many for under $10K.  Good luck in your search.

• Like 1

Skyliners were offered by Ford in 1954, 1955 and 1956.  The production in 1955 was less than in 1954, and production in 1956 was less than in 1955.  The glass top cars in 1955 and 1956 was based on the Crown Victoria.  The Mercury version was called the Sun Valley, and was also available in 1954, 1955 and 1956.  Production of 1955 Sun Valleys were about a couple of dozen and 1956 much less than that.

• Like 1

According to the Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975, production totals for glass-topped Fords and Mercurys is as follows:

Fords:

1954 Crestline Skyliner: 13, 144

1955 Crown Victoria Skyliner: 1,999

1956 Crown Victoria Skyliner:  603

Mercurys:

1954 Monterey Sun Valley: 9.761

1955 Montclair Sun Valley: 1,787

1956 Montclair Sun Valley:   not listed but a few are known to have been built.

Just for comparison, here's a '54 Ford Crestline Skyliner for sale on Craigslist:

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/d/thompson-1954-ford-skyliner/7222375558.html

Edited by 58L-Y8
Added CL listing for comparison (see edit history)
  • Like 1

For you to do this,(purchase and restoration) you must have a very strong appeal for this car.  Because once you get in to the drudgery of some aspects of the restoration (rust removal on the frame, etc.) it is too easy to quit without the drive of passion.  They we have another stalled project sitting in pieces.

So did you just happen to stumble upon this?  When you say you "have a chance to buy this," sure you do---but in reality you have a chance to buy any car that is advertised up for sale.  You just have to look where they're advertised.  There are many just on this site.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2020 at 3:08 PM, Laughing Coyote said:

You can see in the picture on the door that a chuck a metal was cut out under the vent window. Doesn't have that factory stamped edge. 

that is probably from a power window retro fit cut out for gang switch