Recent Forum Updates - 8/28/20

Yes... the forum software has been updated and there are a significant number of changes including:

• New template including fonts and colors
  • New Features
  • Things have moved
  • A new "right column"
  • Forum Organization

Yes, I will listen to your feedback, and I'll make adjustments when I feel there is a consensus. If you must provide feedback, do it constructively. I do NOT respond well to demands and ultimatums. i.e. comments like "Totally Sucks" (yes, i got that) are not constructive.

To be very clear.  No, I will not revert back to the way it was. Sorry, but that's not going to happen.

Yes, there are more changes coming in the next few days as I get use to the new features.

Patience.  That's all ask. 

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've run this forum for 22 years and there have been many, many updates and changes over the years.  Many of the veteran users of this forum have seen it over and over again.   When changes take place people get upset, people get demanding, people stamp their feet.

Change is inevitable. This forum exists BECAUSE of change.  Many other forums have fallen to the wayside because they refused to make necessary changes to stay current, secure, compatible. I won't let that happen. So before you write to complain, take a breath. Be constructive. I don't think that is too much to ask.

• Thanks 4

Hey Peter - I think the new look is great.  The only issue I might be having is that my image embedding doesn't appear to work anymore

The following is what I used to paste into my posts to embed an image from my Imgur site.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/4c1oUzU.jpg[/img]

Previously, and in all my existing messages, that would result in the image being shown inline.

Any ideas?

14 hours ago, Luv2Wrench said:

The only issue I might be having is that my image embedding doesn't appear to work anymore

The following is what I used to paste into my posts to embed an image from my Imgur site.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/4c1oUzU.jpg[/img]

This is called a "UBB Code" imbed.  I'm trying to see if i can turn it back on.  (Its really old style code not used much anymore). 

• Like 1
On 9/1/2020 at 1:59 PM, Peter Gariepy said:

It's back on again. But know it will not be supported in the long term.

Works perfectly, many thanks!  Is there a reason it cannot be supported long term?  I have my images hosted on IMGUR and using that link provides a wonderful hi-res image.  These are the formats it provides

image.png.63faa040b5c5fb4c29af38458271877c.png

16 hours ago, Luv2Wrench said:

Works perfectly, many thanks!  Is there a reason it cannot be supported long term?  I have my images hosted on IMGUR and using that link provides a wonderful hi-res image.  These are the formats it provides

image.png.63faa040b5c5fb4c29af38458271877c.png

Technical.. mostly related to security.

Peter, the latest organization of the Cars for Sale

and sub-categories for the various marques might be

confusing to some users.

I know why you did it, and on the surface, it seemed like

a good idea.  However, the Chrysler Buy-Sell, the

Buick Buy-Sell, etc. have contained parts for sale,

parts wanted, and cars wanted--even literature and memorabilia. 

In essence, each category is for buying, selling, trading cars, parts,

and memorabilia related to those specific marques.  Since those

categories are now in the heading "Cars for Sale," newer users

might not know where to advertise for Buick parts or literature,

for instance.

It may be better to group all marque-specific categories

together, as they were before.  What are your thoughts?

4 hours ago, TerryB said:

Peter, it seems subforums featuring make specific auto parts are now included in the cars for sale forum list.  Looks like it might be an “oops”.

Thank you for keeping this who conglomeration under control!

Terry

Not an oops. Ive put all the buy/sell forums under cars for sale. 

• Like 1

Peter,

While I am not a fan of the new Buy/Sell setup, I would suggest you at least remove it as a subforum of the General Forum. It appears there and also as a totally separate forum.  I also think that Packard Buy/Sell as a subforum under the General Buy/Sell forum looks a bit odd. I would suggest it either be a separate Buy/Sell category like other makes or if there is not sufficient traffic for a separate Packard Buy/Sell forum, it should be eliminated and folks can use the General Buy/Sell Forum for Packards. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Peter,

While I am not a fan of the new Buy/Sell setup, I would suggest you at least remove it as a subforum of the General Forum. It appears there and also as a totally separate forum.  I also think that Packard Buy/Sell as a subforum under the General Buy/Sell forum looks a bit odd. I would suggest it either be a separate Buy/Sell category like other makes or if there is not sufficient traffic for a separate Packard Buy/Sell forum, it should be eliminated and folks can use the General Buy/Sell Forum for Packards. 

The "Buy/Sell" under general is not a subforum, its simply a "redirect" To the new "Buy and Sell" category. I've done this in a few places for people where looking for buy/sell in their old locations.  I was going to remove the redirects after a month after people figured it out the reorganization.

"Packard Buy/Sell" existed before. I simply moved up to under Automobile - Buy/Sell instead of giving it its own subcategory as i didnt think it warranted that position. Moving it all into "Automobile Buy/Sell" isn't a bad idea. Let me ponder it.

I get this was a big change - and I could be be wrong.  I found that having all the buy/sell everywhere was getting confusing.  The recent reorganization was to de-emphasize clubs and focus on marques, and function.  "Buy/Sell" is one of the most used functions of the forum, and my goal was to centralize it it one place.

Time will tell if I was right or wrong.  Other than you, I've had no feedback at all.  Normally when I make a big change and people are confused I hear about it.  Lets see if thats true or not on this change.

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 8.24.12 AM.png

2 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Normally when I make a big change and people are confused I hear about it. 

So as not to let you down  🙂

Upstairs....Kudos on centralizing the Buy/Sell in the "upstairs" main forum area. Nicely formatted with all the different marques being able to be looked at in their own individual area or all together in the Automobile-Buy/Sell.  A+ on that. 🙂

Downstairs.... different story. Used to, if you were in say Buick, Oldsmobile, Chrysler forum you'd just click on Buy/Sell and there it was. Now, with the change, anyone in those forums now have to find and click on "Buy/Sell" (which isn't bad on a full screen computer but can be a bit difficult for old eyes and fat fingers on a cell phone) then once reaching the upstairs Buy/Sell they have to scroll down a ways again and find and click the marque they want to look at and click that.  Alternatively of course, they can leave their marques forum and scroll upstairs and click on their marque up their, then if they want to get back to their marques forum, scroll BACK down stairs to it.  Either way, a LOT more click, scroll, click, scrolls to have to go through just to get to their favorite marque Buy/Sell forum. C- an that. :( :)

So I guess my question is. Can it not be formatted so that when one is in the Buick, Oldsmobile or Chrysler forums, a single click can still get them to their marques Buy/Sell forum?  Or am I missing something, which I have been known to do. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

The "Buy/Sell" under general is not a subforum, its simply a "redirect" To the new "Buy and Sell" category. I've done this in a few places for people where looking for buy/sell in their old locations.  I was going to remove the redirects after a month after people figured it out the reorganization.

"Packard Buy/Sell" existed before. I simply moved up to under Automobile - Buy/Sell instead of giving it its own subcategory as i didnt think it warranted that position. Moving it all into "Automobile Buy/Sell" isn't a bad idea. Let me ponder it.

I get this was a big change - and I could be be wrong.  I found that having all the buy/sell everywhere was getting confusing.  The recent reorganization was to de-emphasize clubs and focus on marques, and function.  "Buy/Sell" is one of the most used functions of the forum, and my goal was to centralize it it one place.

Time will tell if I was right or wrong.  Other than you, I've had no feedback at all.  Normally when I make a big change and people are confused I hear about it.  Lets see if thats true or not on this change.

Moving the redirect that was showing as a subforum of General, to a separate category is an improvement and will be even better when the redirect goes away. 

The previous Buick Buy/Sell is now titled as "Buick Automobiles - Buy/Sell". There is no corresponding Buick Parts-Buy/Sell. That new title makes it look like it is only for cars and not parts.  There are general "Parts Wanted" and "Parts for Sale" categorys, which make it look like you should post ALL makes of parts for sale and wanted in those two categories. I would think that you might want to change  "Buick Automobiles - Buy/Sell" to  "Buick - Buy/Sell", along with similar changes to other Marque Buy/Sell titles.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Yes.   My thought was to take them to the general category so they can see all their buy/sell options.

Worth taking them 1 layer deeper?

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 11.42.01 AM.png

I think so. If clicking Buy/Sell under Buick General gets you directly to Buick-Buy/Sell then yea that's what I'm suggesting....