Gran Sport Option

TKRIV

25 minutes ago, dr914 said:

sure would love to have a scanned copy of that order form, is there anywhere where one can be purchased?

I think if you contact Tom M, the ROA Librarian, he has copies of several, if not most of the order forms that were available, and he might be able to send you a scan of it?

I never understood how you could go to a dealer and order a Buick Riviera with no options.

In fact you could order equipment delete.

Keep in mind that the Riviera was marketed as a personal luxury car.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Buick was a luxury car mainly for the conservative buyer.

But also, I would think that the Buick buyer was more price conscious than say a Cadillac buyer.

The data plate on the firewall will tell you if the vinyl top is factory installed. Most aftermarket tops have generic moldings which give them away.  The vinyl top is not shown on the order form in a previous post in this thread so it must not have been available at the beginning of the year.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

On 8/7/2020 at 10:01 PM, TKRIV said:

When the 1965 model year was launched was the Gran Sport option available from day one?

Cheers

Tom K  

Small emblem Gran Sport from November, I think, until mid December, then the larger size after that. Only a few hundred were produced with small emblems

9D01DB58-2966-4E85-A941-43B3208A8DE9.jpeg

Edited by Rivdrivn (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The vinyl top was a Spring option, available in black only on the 65. Fatory fitted to exactly 2000 cars and identified by a 2 next to the colir code on the data plate. My car was one of them, built 4th week of June in 65.

5 hours ago, TKRIV said:

Small emblem Gran Sport from November?

Can anyone else verify that?

If true, then the small emblem Gran Sport was only available for 2 months.

It has been researched and the larger emblems came out in mid December.  In addition, when the large emblems came out, the rear one was moved to the left side of the panel whereas the smaller emblem resided under the Riviera script.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, help me out here. Isn't this forum suposd to be for the Skylark based GS cars? Yet there is a lot of discussion about the Riviera Gran Sport option.  Did someone move this tread from the Riviera Owners forum when this new forum was added not to long ago? 

19 hours ago, RivNut said:

Hey guys, help me out here. Isn't this forum suposd to be for the Skylark based GS cars? Yet there is a lot of discussion about the Riviera Gran Sport option.  Did someone move this tread from the Riviera Owners forum when this new forum was added not to long ago? 

Ed,

This forum is intended to bring all Gran Sport and GS Buicks together.  No matter it being a Skylark based, Wildcat based or Riviera based car.

It is something I had hoped to accomplish at my original website , 65GS.com, but was not getting the interest I desired from other year and model Gran Sport/ GS enthusiasts .  

Peter suggested to me that we take this step and so here we are. 

We have a unique and special model of Buicks. Lets see if we can learn more about the other and enjoy some new friendships. When the 65 Gran Sport division was established, I feel I made a mistake in naming it. 

Loren

• 4 months later...

Guys(and gals), I know I have seen further discussion about this elsewhere but are there other true indicators other than the Engine Code to confirm whether a Riviera is a true GS.  I read the article from the Riview and looked at other posts and that seems to be the best way.  I'm looking at a 67 Riviera GS that has the GS emblems, star wars air cleaner, etc. but know anyone can put those on.  Want to make sure I ask the right questions.  I've attached some pics.  Thanks!

1967 Buick Riviera

1967 Buick Riviera

1967 Buick Riviera

1967 Buick Riviera

1967 Buick Riviera