Clark's Corvair vs OPGI or ....

Buickneem

I plan on restoring my headliner, survivors, doorpanels, and possibly new seat covers. I'm leaning towards using Corvair (mostly because I try to support small businesses) but I would like to know if anyone has any opinion on these two companies, or any others that supply interiors for Rivieras? I'm looking for the highest quality product available.

Edited by Buickneem (see edit history)

Clark's hands down.  IMHO, OPGIs products are second rate at best. Colors are not true, grains are not true, and the workmanship is just not there.  Read the comments on what OPGI refers to as a Riviera package tray. They will try to sell you something that comes close, but they're not in the neighborhood.  Look at what they sell as a replacement for a door jamb switch..  From what I can tell, OPGI is a re-selling distributorship for most Riviera parts.  Oh yeah, look at comments on back orders.  They don't have a lot of Riviera parts in stock.  When they get enough orders, they'll place their order to the manufacturer.  Look to see who makes their covers and contact the manufacturer directly.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 3

OPGI seats are made by Distinct Industries.  In ads for neither do they elaborate on the dielectric pleating for the seat backs or other details that Clark's prides itself on.  If watch the you tube video on Clark's and focus on Calvin as he talks about color and grain, you should be convinced. 

You can buy Distinctive Industries products a lot of different places.

We need to support the companies that specialize in the products we want otherwise the big guys will take over and profits will rule over quality.  

• Like 2

It has been close to 20 years that I worked hand in hand with Mark & Anna at Clark's. It started with the rear package tray & morphed from there. Turned them on to the original manufacturers of the seat foams. Which were a MUCH HIGHER QUALITY than they had been using. Where to get the listing wire & MANY other products that make up their interior parts & pieces.  I hate to think of the cost of shipping + phone calls it took to get the things that are available today at a MUCH HIGHER QUALITY than anyone else offered then or now.

QUALITY costs & I would think MOST/MANY can't even think or comprehend at what it costs to have QUALITY parts available from ANYONE especially from a Corvair outlet/producer where I told Calvin if he would look at the Corvair materials that they are for the most part the same as well as he owned a '64 Riv. himself.  Once he started checking on what I told him he was CONVINCED & that's where it ALL started.

Tom T.

• Like 1

Calvin's  conviction to do it well reminds me of what my dad used to tell me about working on my own cars (which is why I leave the life saving/threatening stuff to a professional.)

Good labor is not cheap, and cheap labor is not good.

You're going get what you pay for.  

13 hours ago, Buickneem said:

I plan on restoring my headliner, survivors, doorpanels, and possibly new seat covers. I'm leaning towards using Corvair (mostly because I try to support small businesses) but I would like to know if anyone has any opinion on these two companies, or any others that supply interiors for Rivieras? I'm looking for the highest quality product available.

OEM is best. Aftermarket or Replacement usually a disappointment when installing yourself. That's when you notice shortfalls.

You want the "highest quality available", Clark's Corvair is the closest to OEM.

Their Service on my last purchase was tremendous. They must be well set-up and in a COVID world, another good sign.

John B.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, rivstg1 said:

too bad CCorvairs don't sell the necessary seat foam for '65 custom interiors....they sell the covers, but not the foam.  Isn't that surprising? I even phone called them.... nope

I agree. My seats are in perfect shape, other than the fronts could use some foam support under the original covers. And it seems as if the production numbers would be close; seem to see about as many standard interiors as I do Custom.

23 hours ago, rivstg1 said:

too bad CCorvairs don't sell the necessary seat foam for '65 custom interiors....they sell the covers, but not the foam.  Isn't that surprising? I even phone called them.... nope

"American Cushion"  is where Clark's Corvair and other dealers source quality latex cushions I believe. We are lucky the regular cushions are the same cushions for other GM Bucket seats. Otherwise, we wouldn't have those either.

One seat back cushion was beefed-up and re-used by my upholsterer in my '63. The other cushions were replaced but the old cushions weren't that bad. Springs in the Driver's seat were the issue.

John B.

• Like 1