Must Not. Be in the Loop

Eddie-O

I guess as a new be I must be out of the loop or considered a moron. When I first came to this site I got a lot of feed back and said thank you more than once for the welcome and input. However, I had asked a couple of questions recently and granted, to most of you they were probably stupid. But being a novice in the pre war world just about everything I encounter is new to me and at times I need clarification or guidance . My last post had 65 views and not a single answer so I have to assume they were not relevant or for a lack of a better word good enough to deserve an answer. Very surprised since after my intro to this forum seemed well received. Must be a revue board or body I have to check with to see if my questions are good enough for an answer. This is the second time this has happened and I apologize  for not being as bright as the  rest of you out there but like I said, I'm new to pre war and was just looking for some good advise, direction or help. I apologize for taking up valuable forum space  with insignificant and unworthy questions.

Sometimes we just don't know the answer.....

For instance, 41 headlights. I know that the earliest sealed beams (1940 and probably for a little while after) had metal backs and lacked the 3 glass tips for aiming. Markings or how to recognize a correct one? I have no idea. For a shop manual I would have said 1942, but then so did everyone else. Hang around a while. We aren't snobs. And Welcome!

I doubt anyone is ignoring you intentionally. Either they don't have the answer or figure that someone else will chime in who knows better or they just didn't see the question. For instance, for my browsing, I use the "Unread Content" buttons to see what's new. But if your post isn't in the top 40 or however many show up each time I hit that button, I may not see it at all. Then there are times when I don't know an answer--I don't know what kind of headlights a 1940 Buick had. 6 volt sealed beam, but what was correct? Did T3 headlights exist then? I don't know. My answer probably wouldn't have been helpful if I'd chimed in. 

So don't sweat it. Nobody is ignoring you and there's no secret board of people deciding whose questions get answered. It's just how it goes sometimes.

• Like 4

Eddie, 

The technology was changing rapidly and Buick was unlike Ford in that so many questions are year specific and to be an authoritative voice for more than a couple of years around your year is a rare find.  My car is 1925 and I dabble below 1923 on rare occasion and above 1927 - maybe 1928 but rarely do I answer a question on a 1929.  By that point it has to be a pretty general question.  I got lucky when Leif Holmberg was active on our site as he was the mother lode of Buick information.  I also post a lot of stuff and I just hope maybe 1 person can answer one of my questions.  This honestly is a very small group - of volunteers in a very small niche market. 

My suggestion is to expand your knowledge base.  If you are not finding your answers here, try the BCA Roster and there is a listing by year and model and start contacting others out of state and out of country with your same car.  Then you have your forum guys and folks that will provide information over the phone as they want nothing to do with these wretched computers.  This forum is awesome but I also have found my needs for information are met in other places.      Hugh        

• Like 2

Eddie:

I sent you a PM.  No one is accusing you of being a moron.  There is no "inside" group on this forum.  As a relative newbie myself, I can say that this forum is about as welcoming and helpful as any I have ever found.  Please stick with it and try not to take things personally.

Neil

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Eddie-O said:

I guess as a new be I must be out of the loop or considered a moron. When I first came to this site I got a lot of feed back and said thank you more than once for the welcome and input. However, I had asked a couple of questions recently and granted, to most of you they were probably stupid. But being a novice in the pre war world just about everything I encounter is new to me and at times I need clarification or guidance . My last post had 65 views and not a single answer so I have to assume they were not relevant or for a lack of a better word good enough to deserve an answer. Very surprised since after my intro to this forum seemed well received. Must be a revue board or body I have to check with to see if my questions are good enough for an answer. This is the second time this has happened and I apologize  for not being as bright as the  rest of you out there but like I said, I'm new to pre war and was just looking for some good advise, direction or help. I apologize for taking up valuable forum space  with insignificant and unworthy questions.

Eddie-O,

The Pre-War group is a lot of persons with a HUGE change in technology of our vehicles from 1903 - 1941.  Many of us read all of the Pre-War posts but do not have answers outside of our current vehicles.  An example is my area of experience.  If it is not pre 1918, I probably have limited if any knowledge on a post 1920 vehicle.  Sometimes we might not have knowledge, but can refer you someone that can help.  The prewar group is all about contacts and referrals to help you keep you car running. We are not ignoring you.  Take a chill pill.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

So- I'm part of the 1931 clique if there is such a thing and I think not.  Tech changes for 1931?  Well, all 1930 cars were 6's but in spring of 1929 (I think)  Dutch Bower, who was chief engine engineer got marching orders from management that Buick was going to an 8 for 1931, in fact 3 of em for 3 different series of cars with bodies and chassis to be built as carryover 1930 with new engines and synchronized transmissions to compete with Packard and Pierce and the like.  Oh- and the new engines- all had to fit where the sixes went, no change to firewall or frame allowed.  So that was 1931.  In 1932 50 series got the 2 barrel carburetors of the 31 60 series and added Wizard Control for the clutch, driver compartment adjustable ride control shocks, a new instrument panel and gauges, new shifter and hand brake, turn signals, dual tail lights and a ton of other stuff.  These are just examples of how we get compartmentalized into certain model year expertise and often that expertise does not cross into other model years.  I consider I know 31's pretty well having had 3 over 50yrs.  Ask me about a 56 and I'm dumber than a screwdriver. 

I have found nothing but great feedback when I ask a question that others have experience with and like you, if I ask an obscure question I see the views of my post adding up and no replies.  It's not that we have some low opinion of your questions as a newbie- ask away.  It's the only way you learn other than skinning your knuckles taking apart something you have never seen before.  Keep asking but expect some questions will get a response and others won't until someone comes along to see your question that has something to contribute.

Dave

Edited by Str8-8-Dave
add text (see edit history)
  • Like 3