1934 Buick Model 41 - $6000 - Paynesville, MN - Not Mine

1934 Buick Model 41 - $6000 - Paynesville, MN

https://stcloud.craigslist.org/cto/d/paynesville-1934-buick-model-41/7157685190.html#
1934 Buick Model 41 -complete car -partially disassembled -4 door -everything original except the tail lights

Contact: Darrel ( Try 'show phone number' yourself if interested)

Copy and paste in your email: ecaef7e394ee30ef8f266ae6df9f1e72@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1934 Buick Model 41 sedan.

Note:  Look closely at the photos, this '34 Buick is still a preserved original HPOF-class car even though it has been partially disassembled.  For those who appreciate original cars, this one could still be reassembled and returned to operation.

'34 Buick 41 sedan MN a.jpg

'34 Buick 41 sedan MN b.jpg

'34 Buick 41 sedan MN c.jpg

'34 Buick 41 sedan MN d.jpg

'34 Buick 41 sedan MN e.jpg

'34 Buick 41 sedan MN f.jpg

'34 Buick 41 sedan MN g.jpg

'34 Buick 41 sedan MN h.jpg

'34 Buick 41 sedan MN i.jpg

'34 Buick 41 sedan MN j.jpg

'34 Buick 41 sedan MN k.jpg

'34 Buick 41 sedan MN l.jpg

You guys will note the "frost shields" on the windshields, vent windows and rear window. They were clear, applied plastic (celulloid) devices that created a small space between the glass and the shields themselves. This little space provided enough of an insulating layer of air that ice wouldn't form on the inside of the glass. I can recall that just about all cars had these here in Minnesota when I was young. I think that they were a peel and stick item. This seller lives in Paynesville which is where I stop for lunch when I go to the gigantic "Windy Hills Auto Parts", a few miles down the road.

http://www.windyhillautoparts.com/

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This will be a hard sell like most project cars, but might be feasible for someone with the space, time, and skills to finish it up.  But it would be a "labor of love" for sure because even if you were able to do all (or most of) the work yourself, you would still lose money.  But I love the spirit of the seller with those photos of everything laid out on the grass in a sort of "live action" exploded view of the car!  Just add a chair so someone can sit in the "driver's seat" and see what it will be like to look out over those front fenders!  😄

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I wonder where all the nuts and bolts, screws, clips etc. are?  Maybe they are in small labeled baggies for easy I.D.

What a lot of work, indeed it would have to be a labor of love.

My first reaction was 'theres too many zeros in the price.'

I never happened to see the 'peel and stick' defoggers.  Here in Maine in the '50s it was common to see add-on defrosters on cars of that era which have heating elements in the glass and are held on the windshield with suction cups. I think I still have a couple kicking around.

HPOF car - sort of. needs tires and would have to be gone through to  sort wiring, gas tank/fuel system. is the engine free? rear fenders would need to be repainted , front fenders needing some touch up at a minimum. Most collectors want cars with all the toys - side mounted spare tires, trunk rack etc etc. Many many hours to even get it assembled and address the mechanical issues just from sitting. Despite the "reasonable" price perhaps Buick collectors would want a larger series car . A friend owned a mint original (family car since new) duplicate of this car and with a rear mounted spare tire there is no room for anything to be carried along - tools, picnic lunch, fire extinguisher etc on the rear floor. I am not knocking the car at all, seems like a very good solid car but will anyone step up to the plate to get it back together and roadworthy at $6,000???

• Like 1

Mine was in worse shape when I bought it for $300 but that was back in the mid seventies. At least this one has an interior.Mine dose not have the oil filter and the horn is mounted differently. I think it would sell easier if it wasn't taken apart. I think he should part it out.

1 hour ago, Buick35 said:

Mine was in worse shape when I bought it for $300 but that was back in the mid seventies. At least this one has an interior.Mine dose not have the oil filter and the horn is mounted differently. I think it would sell easier if it wasn't taken apart. I think he should part it out.

The minute he decided to disassemble this Buick, he condemned it to become a street rod or be parted out.   Shame on him if it was an original car.

Headliner is toast, but with some attention you may be able to have someone come out and steam clean/dry clean the interior (and some detail work on a few interior parts and hopefully there is a drivers front door panel/pholstery) and probably put it back together to get a respectable car. 

Somebody has to say it, ....sadly we will keep seeing so many more unwanted abandoned projects as the boomers are downsizing/passing away. 

I bought a 35 Buick larger series 4dr rear spare, when I was 16 in late 60s.  It's original owners family junked it out by the pond. I bought it for $5 and the guy hauled it to my parents place 30minutes away on a backhoe trailer and huge truck for $10 more.  The roof was open, rotted away, seats rotted, so what was I thinking?   I did get it running one day with 4 of my friends, we went for a long ride with frozen brake cables, missing exhaust and rotted mohair blowing out... and that ride alone was worth the 15.  I gave it away a few years later.

I've started with rough prewars of 30-32 era for far too many decades, but every one was conv, or conv sedan only because I like the styling looks. . I didn't want a sedan or coupe, and didn't usually have lots of money for a good conv.  Most people start with a 4 dr sedan because of price alone even if they deny it, and no matter what anybody says, those buyers later wish it was a conv or a coupe weather they finish it or quit.

A decade ago, I would have thought there would be ample buyers for this 34, but it sure won't sell for 6k.  I honestly think it would not sell at 2k.  Nobody wants a potential disaster that likely has loose wood joints, all apart, etc.  Our world has changed, sad to say.

I'm going to be 69 this winter, trying to finish a 32 conv sedan that was a very tough one, then I must decide if I have any strength or desire to do the 34 conv which also will be a very tough one.  I sold everything else over the last years, as I saw the writing.

My fault lies in the fact that I always think too much of what they were when new,... but they are big projects (junk).  Here is the 34 when new, my only chance of ever driving a high end car....but not sure if it will happen. BTW, two wealthy past owners failed to get much done on the 34 before THEY passed away.  Food for thought when looking at junk.

mail.thumb.jpg.898bf90aa594259b020bc23584906c74.jpg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, F&J said:

Somebody has to say it, ....sadly we will keep seeing so many more unwanted abandoned projects as the boomers are downsizing/passing away. 

mail.thumb.jpg.898bf90aa594259b020bc23584906c74.jpg

I will say it time and time again: "so you want to restore something that took thousands of people to build to begin with."  A restoration is the black hole of time and money and I too have bought projects near over my head and if it was not for a great group of friends helping me matched to occasionally realizing that I just needed to move on then I would have a "boat anchor collection" too. 

Famous last words: "I am going to ....."  The phrase needs to be: "I am currently doing X" -  and then you really have to do it. 

I can take you probably to over 100 garages in Cincinnati where these same type projects exist 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 plus years later and I can take you to another 20 garages where something really neat is just sitting there rotting away that has been already restored or preserved as it needed some so general maintenance or a single part and it has become beyond the owner's time, interest, money, and ...  aka life just gets in the way.

And, why am I being harsh here - can you show me anything on this Buick project that is "restored" or even "partially restored" - they could not even clean up the interior and get the seat back in ? 

By the way:  the hobby has something for everyone (not everyone restores, shows, tours, or ...), but when something like this Buick is sitting covered with filth and not being touched, then time to move it along to a next owner. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Ironically, I mentioned Windy Hills Auto Parts earlier. This Buick is an example of how vintage yards get replacement stock on an ongoing basis. Guys get sick of the sight of their overwhelming projects, take the simple way out and sell it to someone who can make it disappear quickly. Of course, there may be other reasons why this Buick is for sale.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Ironically, I mentioned Windy Hills Auto Parts earlier. This Buick is an example of how vintage yards get new stock on an ongoing basis. Guys get sick of the sight of their overwhelming projects, take the simple way out and sell it to someone who can make it disappear quickly. Of course, there may be other reasons why this Buick is for sale.

This is like a weekend of dis-assembly and then it all stopped - and sure, I 100% agree that it could be no fault of the current owner, but somewhere along the line this project went very astray. 

• 3 years later...
1 minute ago, Rracebeam said:

Do you have this car ?

Post 1 is from July 2020  (~4 years ago)

The person who made post did/does not own this car

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1934 Buick Model 41 sedan