1932 Nash selling at Auburn

md murray

16 hours ago, alsancle said:

I'm not sure it is fair to cherry pick a smoking deal and use that as a comp.  All in it was 72,800.  But to be devil's advocate,  the Nash is 10x better looking and I'm willing to bet they made 10x more of those V16 Limo's in 1930 than the Nash Conv in 1932.

If the Nash hammers anywhere near the Caddy I will agree with you,  but for the sake of this discussion we are talking approx 1/2 as much... say hammer around 35k.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/az20/arizona/lots/r0010-1931-cadillac-v-16-seven-passenger-imperial-sedan-by-fleetwood/830529

I flipped the Nash so we could compare side by side,  but only a Pierce Arrow guy would love the looks of the Caddy (and my apologies to the new owner - who got a smoking deal).

https://rmsothebys-cache.azureedge.net/8/a/5/b/2/8/8a5b2833aea27b5ec698665cab480bbd6333787c.jpg

image.thumb.png.cab3afd606bbaf8cf352d06545d1f036.png

Top does not go down on the Cadillac !!!

• Like 1

Top doesn’t go down...........who cares? Please give me an analysis of how many people drive with a top down.............99 percent of the owners don’t put them down........they don’t want wrinkels.. As far as aim concerned, I leave them down all the time. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, alsancle said:

A friend reminded me of this car the other day.   Sold at Simeone a few years ago for 18,700.    I'll bet most of of you can guess where it is going,  probably the number one collector of this sort of car in the world who will give it a great restoration.  I think it is an interesting comparison to a 33/34 Buick 90 Club sedan.   The two cars are practically identical in all respects except the Nash has a few survivors and there are decent number of 90s around.

1934 Nash AMBASSADOR EIGHT 1297 FIVE PASSENGER LWB BROUGHAM
Chassis no. 522564
Engine no. 522564

322 cu. in. Twin Ignition Valve-In-Head 8-Cylinder Engine
Dual Throat Carburetor
125bhp at 3600rpm
3-Speed Manual Transmission
4-Wheel Semi Elliptical Leaf Spring Suspension
4-Wheel Drum Brakes

*Nash's top-of-the-line offering
*Designed by Count Alexis De Sakhnoffsky
*Highly original and unmolested example from long term ownership
*Classic Car Club of America full classic status
*Opulent art deco styling with world class mechanics

https://images2.bonhams.com/image?src=Images/live/2016-09/07/24088595-1-36.jpg&width=960

<B>1934 Nash AMBASSADOR EIGHT 1297 FIVE PASSENGER LWB BROUGHAM</B><BR />Chassis no. 522564<BR />Engine no. 522564

Rare car, good looking club sedan, pretty solid (but I bet some woodwork will still be involved), pretty complete (there will be a bunch of unusable stuff though that will have to be remanufactured/recast), takes a car like this to get you a good steering wheel/good intruments/etc to separate men from boys when all is said and done via restoration (I just helped a friend buy a car for 7K so they could get a stunning steering wheel - he will trade steering wheels and resell rest to end up with perhaps $500.00 in wheel allowing him to achieve wanted awards), good horsepower, and probably a few more good points that are not coming to me at this second - I would say this car would bring same price today too.   Unfortunately, takes resourcefulness and a labor of love and/or deep pockets for it to become an even 95 point car.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Top doesn’t go down...........who cares? Please give me an analysis of how many people drive with a top down.............99 percent of the owners don’t put them down........they don’t want wrinkels.. As far as aim concerned, I leave them down all the time. 

My whole garage - everyone of them is down for the summer (and 4 door convertible too) - and yes the tops are never the same after you put them down even once. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I like that you have your tops down on cars !!!  Most people never have the fun you are having either - there is nothing better than a well sorted 30's convertible for touring. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I agree, putting the top down wrinkles the top!

As mom would say - "we restored it once and we can restore it again, so lets go have fun." 

Right up there is "only a car, we have garages full of them."

And "art is for wall and cars are for the road."

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2

John, Since I first met you, I knew you were a 1% er . Not in the definition of a Hells Angel, but in the world of ACD. Neither you, AJ, Orin, and a handful of others could ever be considered “normal” in any sense of the definition. 🤔

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, edinmass said:

John, Since I first met you, I knew you were a 1% er . Not in the definition of a Hells Angel, but in the world of ACD. Neither you, AJ, Orin, and a handful of others could ever be considered “normal” in any sense of the definition. 🤔

Laughing - a lot of people had to beat that into me.  It comes from my Mom's cousin who had a fabulous car collection matched to my parents (and all their car friends) who have a far different mentality to car collecting than most people.  And of course great friends like you !!! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, edinmass said:

By the way, not to knock Sedans - there are some TRULY STUNNING ones out there (and they make wonderful tour cars too), but that said, 98% plus of them are things that I do not feel worthy of plowing serious time/money into and/or paying top dollar for - if going to spend it then spend it on a Convertible.   As you and I have discussed, I do prefer "Club Sedans" first and that is followed by "Convertible Sedans" (same enough concept in looks and yet top goes down).  And, I would take on another horrendously difficult restoration (or maybe even two) for a Sedan that really floats my boat (though, when I see rust and rotted wood it will take some serious motivation).

• Like 1

If you ask my dad he will tell you that all sedans are parts cars waiting for a place to donate.   You should have seen the two of us go at it when I made the mistake of buying a sedan.   The fact that it was a one off coachbuilt verified in period salon car made no difference to him.

As for tops,   any of the European "double top" cabriolets will never the look the same once you put the top down.  Not to mention they are ugly with the top down as it really only folds 2/3 of the way. 

image.thumb.jpeg.40a8fc34e40bd015cbc3be48e52eb868.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

If you ask my dad he will tell you that all sedans are parts cars waiting for a place to donate.   You should have seen the two of us go at it when I made the mistake of buying a sedan.   The fact that it was a one off coachbuilt verified in period salon car made no difference to him.

As for tops,   any of the European "double top" cabriolets will never the look the same once you put the top down.  Not to mention they are ugly with the top down as it really only folds 2/3 of the way. 

image.thumb.jpeg.40a8fc34e40bd015cbc3be48e52eb868.jpeg

As to your dad - yes, they are like that (get mine going on a passionate subject).  

As to tops - 100% correct.

Sidenote:  The Auburn has a 45  year old top on it that I am currently purposely destroying by putting it up and down on whims and leaving it down the bulk f the summer.  And in the back of the hall closet there is a large roll of proper mossy green with wexford backing Haartz yardage for it, binding, and  hydem, but the problem is that after I spend money for a convertible top I am much more cautious (but with Auburn I will probably just put it down at the upholstery shop and christen it more or less from the get go). 

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 7:09 PM, edinmass said:

Take a close look at the car up for auction, I like it, and have inspected the Guyton car since the sale, as it ended up with a friend. Walter’s old car is on my want to own list. A quick back of the envelope calculation makes me think the number being tossed around is too high. I’ll guess 35k all in.........maybe.

Ed, I had several of Walters cars at my shop last summer  for work. I can give you more info on it if you are interested. The second trunk came with the car but wasn't on it when Walter bought it. I had a new exhaust system installed , cleaned out the fuel tank and other assembly for him. When it left here last July (2019) it went to a trim shop in Syracuse  for new interior. It had its original cloth interior  when it left. Its a very sold car, good wood but needs more work to make it a driver. It will make a super driver with some more effort spent on it. The motor runs very well. Walter liked to call it the "Duesenberg of Kenosha".

walters nash 1.jpg

walters nash 2.jpg

walter and jay present.jpg

Edited by mikewest (see edit history)

On 7/16/2020 at 8:48 AM, F&J said:

I also would like to know if you see any younger people, let's say in their 30s to early 40s, actually even wanting any of these heavier types of prewar cars talked about in this thread?

I've been helping a friend lately with his just purchased 1920 Cadillac....a totally unrestored car. I'd guess he's in his 40s (I think he told me how old he was but I've forgotten). Its a good example of someone who likes old cars but isn't the slightest bit interested in the "competition" aspect of owning them. He's not someone who would be likely to participate in a forum like this and I'm sure that if he bothered to go to a car show it would be a local one but, even there, he isn't at all interested in post-war cars so I'm not sure the local shows would be of interest. They aren't to me...

You can't define a market on a single person or even several people but my feeling is that there is interest out there but that the prices have effectively shut those people out. Heck, I'm shut out of the areas I like best. So, though it will be tough on the people who thought they were going to retire on the profit from selling their 55 Chevy, a drastic drop in prices may be good for the overall car hobby.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JV Puleo said:

I've been helping a friend lately with his just purchased 1920 Cadillac....a totally unrestored car. I'd guess he's in his 40s (I think he told me how old he was but I've forgotten). Its a good example of someone who likes old cars but isn't the slightest bit interested in the "competition" aspect of owning them

1 hour ago, JV Puleo said:

the prices have effectively shut those people out. Heck, I'm shut out of the areas I like best. So, though it will be tough on the people who thought they were going to retire on the profit from selling their 55 Chevy, a drastic drop in prices may be good for the overall car hobby.

I hope you are correct that we will get back to seeing prewars being driven besides just when going to a show. As you admit, I too have been shut out of the market a few times in my 55 years of interest starting by tinkering (engine swap) at 13 years old!...but those times made me take junk as a way of at least hoping to drive one, and that leads to actually learning how to do everything yourself and acquiring more tools. 

When you sent me a copy of the book you wrote of years ago, I was thinking how cool it must have been to drive a car that early to school.  I did drive a 56 Chevy B/A 2dr ht with a 348 tri-power to school a few times in late 60s, all built from junk that nobody wanted, but I thought it was cool.

The metal shop teacher was ticked at me one day and I must have deserved it, but he said "you'll never amount to anything".  Well as in big money, or skills, or happiness, or WHUT?  I still use the skills he taught us back then.  I;m broke again at 68 and can't afford a semi modern car, so I am now living the daydream I had as a 10 year old kid that was building AMT plastic models of Hotrods and thinking I was going to drive one all the time.  It finally happened, but "by circumstances", and now I honestly don't want a newer car anymore.

Pic taken right this moment; I ran errands early today, and left it out as I might go out for a ride in early evening when the weather cools off.  No tools, no spare, no jack, no cell, no triple A and...no worries either. I built it, it will get me home.😕 Not SBC, it's a 1955 Olds Rocket. My first engine replacement at 13 was on a 1957 Olds 88,... reliving my past?

DSCN3192.thumb.JPG.b9b1cdbe62d00afaf32b414edf2f4ea5.JPG

Btw, driving it as a primary car for 2 years so far, I will say that the amount of people who wave or give a raised fist when they see it coming, has multiplied by 10 times since all the media hype started this year...it makes people forget it, even if just for a short spell.  Cars can't do that by sitting in a garage.

And no AACA, I did not "RUIN a 32 Ford"...here it was when I got it: (it left the factory as a 5w coupe, and when I got it, it wasn't even good for parting out) I'm headed back to the shop again right now to work on my 32 Nash...a spare car in case the Ford breaks or wears out.

32-3.jpg.71fb066aec61b5d5e55dc7eed5125aaa.jpg32-10.jpg.a72afa259c8353254597da0b399bc2ca.jpg

• Like 4

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 10:49 PM, alsancle said:

So the Tom Lester car is visually identical to this car but with a bigger engine?   They do look the same.

AJ, as you have so much interest in big Nash..... I think I may have stumbled onto some very cool history of what very well could be the Lester Ambassador..

I was going through a huge list of old Nash Times Newsletters which are saved and available to NCCA members online via PDF files.  Just this morning I ran across "a letter to the editor" with 2 photos taken in the 1940's, in the May/June 1974, Vol. 5 Number 3 issue. 

The author's father bought one in 41 as a used car from some guy in Amsterdam, NY,  and the son wrote that he had "a feeling it must still be out there and hopes to see it again".. He gave his childhood memories of it being used daily from 41 to 46 until the worm gear failed.  Then was heartbroken when Dad sold it for junk in 53 because he couldn't find the parts.(in NY)

Then the junkyard resold it one month later to a guy in Utica to restore.  The Dad took him back to see the Nash for the last time in 56, then Dad lost the contact number.

The letter was copied in the old typewriter days into that issue and a misprint says the story is about a "1953 Ambassador", but if he states Ambassador, and it being a 4dr conv like the 2 pics prove, it must be a 33 and not a 32,......If true, then I'd bet this is the car that eventually ended up in the sawmill pole barn that I saw many decades ago.  The 1940s B/W pics show body and fenders in the same light color, not two toned.. The Son said it was Tan with red upholstery.  The one I saw was all Tan, but I don't have memory of interior.  Has to be it? 

Here's the odd part, for some reason, the son still had the engine number, and posted it!  (Last known owner of the Lester car was in Canada, but has since dropped out of the club). It would be cool to prove it's the same car just from history perspective?

Long read, but I know you'd have interest. I don't have a cell, otherwise I would have done a screen shot of the 2 pics.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, F&J said:

AJ, as you have so much interest in big Nash..... I think I may have stumbled onto some very cool history of what very well could be the Lester Ambassador..

I was going through a huge list of old Nash Times Newsletters which are saved and available to NCCA members online via PDF files.  Just this morning I ran across "a letter to the editor" with 2 photos taken in the 1940's, in the May/June 1974, Vol. 5 Number 3 issue. 

The author's father bought one in 41 as a used car from some guy in Amsterdam, NY,  and the son wrote that he had "a feeling it must still be out there and hopes to see it again".. He gave his childhood memories of it being used daily from 41 to 46 until the worm gear failed.  Then was heartbroken when Dad sold it for junk in 53 because he couldn't find the parts.(in NY)

Then the junkyard resold it one month later to a guy in Utica to restore.  The Dad took him back to see the Nash for the last time in 56, then Dad lost the contact number.

The letter was copied in the old typewriter days into that issue and a misprint says the story is about a "1953 Ambassador", but if he states Ambassador, and it being a 4dr conv like the 2 pics prove, it must be a 33 and not a 32,......If true, then I'd bet this is the car that eventually ended up in the sawmill pole barn that I saw many decades ago.  The 1940s B/W pics show body and fenders in the same light color, not two toned.. The Son said it was Tan with red upholstery.  The one I saw was all Tan, but I don't have memory of interior.  Has to be it? 

Here's the odd part, for some reason, the son still had the engine number, and posted it!  (Last known owner of the Lester car was in Canada, but has since dropped out of the club). It would be cool to prove it's the same car just from history perspective?

Long read, but I know you'd have interest. I don't have a cell, otherwise I would have done a screen shot of the 2 pics.

That is very cool Frank.   My Nash club membership has expired,  but maybe we can get someone on here to get find it and post it for us.

10 minutes ago, alsancle said:

That is very cool Frank.   My Nash club membership has expired,  but maybe we can get someone on here to get find it and post it for us.

Hey.......pry your wallet open with a crowbar and rejoin the club............your getting tighter and tighter every year.......I thought that would be an impossibility! 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Hey.......pry your wallet open with a crowbar and rejoin the club............your getting tighter and tighter every year.......I thought that would be an impossibility! 

Eddie,   you know the issue is my mail room manager who is responsible for paying my club dues.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Cadillac Fan said:

Hammer: $37,500

My July 10th post said 35k......and I was abused for it.............about 6 percent low.........not too bad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cadillac Fan said:

Wait til you read what

the pierce arrows brought.  

I know both cars......they brought more than they were worth........I valued the 35 at 7500, and the 36 at 9-12k. I have seen both in person, and been over both cars. Walter was very ill when he bought them, and paid way too much money for them. 

THERE IS NOTHING MORE EXPENSIVE THAN A CHEAP CAR..........

EXCEPT A CHEAP CAR IN VERY POOR CONDITION................

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1