Mystery straight 8 engine

nzcarnerd

Maybe Lycoming (Auburn?). Not many flathead straight eights have the valves/manifolds on the left. The distributor is in the right place for a Lycoming.

Graham 8 (probably Continental) is another straight eight with the valves on the left.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Sure looks Lycoming to me.....and the Bohnalite heads were first used in 1935 as far as I know...........

On 6/15/2020 at 11:32 AM, viv w said:

Definitely not 1934 to 1936 Auburn. The Auburn block has the name Lycoming cast into the side in raised lettering. The Auburn head has 3 bolts holding the water outlet.

Last time I agree with Ed.  You are right,  it resembles Auburn but there are many differences.

Looks like 1932 Graham 245CID eight.  The  Bohnalite aluminum head is stock Graham.

p.thumb.jpg.0c25f1acc215930dc2f555cb26083fa2.jpg

o.thumb.jpg.9b15f5ffeb44b4f00b565a6167788695.jpg

the casting date code in the head looks like 1932 (2) there is a good Graham following down under.  It looks like you have at least a hand brake lever, you might have other Graham parts, let me know if you need any help identifying them.  I have a couple friends in New Zealand but they are all the earlier cars, I believe there are at least a 4? 1932-4 Grahams in New Zealand.  I did not see the transmission at first, yes 1932, your transmission has no free wheeling.

A.thumb.jpg.16a40155166a1232a6f17550ee0e42e9.jpg

Hope the parts find a good home they are getting tough to find, this looks like a nice engine.

Edited by Graham Man (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Graham Man said:

I have a couple friends in New Zealand but they are all the earlier cars, I believe there are at least a 4? 1932-4 Grahams in New Zealand.

Link to NZ rego data----> https://www.carjam.co.nz/nz-fleet/?order_by=count_desc&year=&make=GRAHAM&model=

Looks to ~38 registered in NZ.  And who knows how many in sheds-being restored.  Year is not always correct

The 1970's and later Graham's are caravans or trailers (with the same brand name)

6 hours ago, 1939_Buick said:

Link to NZ rego data----> https://www.carjam.co.nz/nz-fleet/?order_by=count_desc&year=&make=GRAHAM&model=

Looks to ~38 registered in NZ.  And who knows how many in sheds-being restored.  Year is not always correct

The 1970's and later Graham's are caravans or trailers (with the same brand name)

That page highlights the 'problem' with carjam - which is not carjam's fault. When people mis-spell the various words related to their car  - or use a different designation - it makes a mockery of those statistics. Just one example was on a facebook page recently where someone reckoned their Austin Westminister was the only one on the road.  The fact that they had spelt the name wrong didn't help. It should be Westminster - of which there are more registered. There are six 1965 Pontiac Bonnevilles in NZ according to carjam - three convertibles and three two doors as far as I know - but when my four door was registered back in the day the word Bonneville was not used in the description so it is not included in the total.

• Like 1

I did a little digging, I have the Graham Club records (GOCI) for the last 45 years, we have had 31 members from NZ.  To date no 1932 Graham Model 57 cars were members.  We have had 4 six cylinder Graham cars 1932-34, no eights 1932-34.  Amazingly about 80% of new members bring in known Graham cars.  I agree lots of undiscovered Graham  cars out there.... I hope.

• 4 months later...

Gary,

You are correct sort of... the engine in your Graham is a six, 1934 Graham Model 68 correct?  The engine pictured above is for a 1932 Model 57 (eight cylinder).  I can put you in contact with people in the US that have spare six cylinder engines.  Where are you located?  Are you in the Graham Owners Club International?  We have members all over the world so if I know where you are it will be easier getting you help. 

Your 1934 Model 68 engine should look like this..

.5.jpg.d08db02b1692ab70a4c450a40e55fc54.jpg

Edited by Graham Man (see edit history)

• 10 months later...