1927 REO in Upstate NY

On 6/15/2020 at 9:39 AM, bryankazmer said:

as a former New Yorker, Saugerties is considered "upstate."  Basically anything north of Westchester County is, as being outside the NYC/Long Island area. 

Maybe if you're from the 5 boroughs of New York City!

Then, it seems really far north and out in the sticks!

Of course, that would mean that 95% of the state is

upstate, and Kiantone, N.Y., which lies almost on the southern

border, is upstate;  but such is only a city-centered view of things.

Growing up just south of the New York State line,

I've seen that New Yorkers call the southern counties

"Southern Tier," and that the New York Thruway is the

imaginary line, north of which is "upstate."

Now, back to the discussion of cars---

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

My first antique car was a 1927 REO Flying Cloud sedan. Unrestored like this one but in much better, running condition. 

It was a great car. So smooth I could place a nickel (on end) on the engine block while the car was idling. Would do 50-55 mph no problem.

That was then. Nowadays, I'd hate to figure the cost of restoring this car. Tires, paint, upholstery, engine work, chrome.

Makes me sad. 

From the Mohawk Vallkey/Capital area - Saugerties is actually closer to there. The Southern Tier as you say borders Pennsylvania, and is not the southern part of the state..  95% of the geography is upstate, but only about half the population.  Which leads to a lot of interesting politics.  Back to wrassling with the underseat battery.

And anything past the Mississippi river is out west.

To me out west is west of the Cascades. That leave a couple of thousand miles unaccounted for.

Other than quick weekend trips to Bristol, Atlanta and Daytona I have never been 'back east'

Oh, that's down south.

I kinda like this Reo, REO, R.E.O.     Seems some are confused about this as well. Like me.

I live in the Hudson Valley, have my entire life. I tell people I'm from upstate because they automatically assume NYC otherwise. Only once have I ever actually encountered anyone while traveling who knew the difference. NYCers generally do consider us upstate, even though my house to Times Square is 1 hour 18 minutes away. 

2 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I live in the Hudson Valley, have my entire life. I tell people I'm from upstate because they automatically assume NYC otherwise. Only once have I ever actually encountered anyone while traveling who knew the difference. NYCers generally do consider us upstate, even though my house to Times Square is 1 hour 18 minutes away. 

When folks I meet when visiting family and friends in Colorado, they assume I must be from NYC.   Dalton is about 300 miles from the Big Apple, more akin to western Pennsylvania and Ohio.  I even had my brother-in-law's sister tell me "It must be wonderful to go to all those Broadway shows."  She was surprised when I told here how far away NYC was from here and that I have never been to a Broadway show.   In fact, she lives closer to Denver than I do to NYC.  Poor geography familiarity is systemic. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

When folks I meet when visiting family and friends in Colorado, they assume I must be from NYC.   Dalton is about 300 miles from the Big Apple, more akin to western Pennsylvania and Ohio.  I even had my brother-in-law's sister tell me "It must be wonderful to go to all those Broadway shows."  She was surprised when I told here how far away NYC was from here and that I have never been to a Broadway show.   In fact, she lives closer to Denver than I do to NYC.  Poor geography familiarity is systemic. 

Dalton NY had a beer joint called the  Hogs Trough . (Or it was close by up on  the ridge. It had as interesting characters  as youd find. The Cartwrights come to mind! I bought a 1914 Ford touring loaded in the back of a Ford F100. We drank beer at the Genesee River Falls hotel and  went the wrong way for Livonia (Home) Ended up at the Hogs Trough where we met these cowboys the Cartwrights. They had a big scuttle with the bar owner and came back with a chainsaw , cut the bar into chunks and tipped it over.  You cant make this stuff up. It happened.  Dalton had its own beer joint in town that was quite famous and may still be there. One of the bartenders was Kelly Howard who later became my banker... Its a small world here in UPSTATE NY.

10 minutes ago, mikewest said:

Dalton NY had a beer joint called the  Hogs Trough . (Or it was close by up on  the ridge. It had as interesting characters  as youd find. The Cartwrights come to mind! I bought a 1914 Ford touring loaded in the back of a Ford F100. We drank beer at the Genesee River Falls hotel and  went the wrong way for Livonia (Home) Ended up at the Hogs Trough where we met these cowboys the Cartwrights. They had a big scuttle with the bar owner and came back with a chainsaw , cut the bar into chunks and tipped it over.  You cant make this stuff up. It happened.  Dalton had its own beer joint in town that was quite famous and may still be there. One of the bartenders was Kelly Howard who later became my banker... Its a small world here in UPSTATE NY.

Yes, the Hogs Trough was quite the rough place but gone now.  The inmates were the people you recall, pretty rough crowd, got very rowdy many times, back before the DWI laws put the clamp on such shenanigans.  Dalton had the Banking House, a good deal more 'civilized' than the Trough.  The Banking House is gone completely now too.  Even our last bar closed and is now a daycare facility.  Times change, however slowly even here.  The only time people come through Dalton now is to go to the Maple Tree Inn for pancakes in the late winter-spring, get lost because the roads are confusing south of here.   BTW the Hog's Trough was in Oakland, down west of Nunda, just over the Town of Portage line because Nunda was a dry town left over from the days when the Nunda town fathers wouldn't have a booze joint in their village...but weren't opposed to visiting them in other towns, such as the Genessee Falls Hotel and others...

Edited by 58L-Y8 (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Yes, the Hogs Trough was quite the rough place but gone now.  The inmates were the people you recall, pretty rough crowd, got very rowdy many times, back before the DWI laws put the clamp on such shenanigans.  Dalton had the Banking House, a good deal more 'civilized' than the Trough.  The Banking House is gone completely now too.  Even our last bar closed and is now a daycare facility.  Times change, however slowly even here.  The only time people come through Dalton now is to go to the Maple Tree Inn for pancakes in the late winter-spring, get lost because the roads are confusing south of here. 

Hey Dalton ... Do you ever get to Livonia?? Id like to meet up some day and talk old cars.  We sold cars to Tom Stamp years ago in Nunda. He was a collector and dad sold him a few cars . His collection burned up in a fire.

2 minutes ago, mikewest said:

Hey Dalton ... Do you ever get to Livonia?? Id like to meet up some day and talk old cars.  We sold cars to Tom Stamp years ago in Nunda. He was a collector and dad sold him a few cars . His collection burned up in a fire.

Yes, I knew Tom Stamp, saw that '38 Bentley 4 1/4 L MX sport sedan before it was lost in the 1976 fire in his Dansville shop.  Mental images of that Bentley still haunt me...

Sounds good or Ill run over the hill in my Franklin. No virus here in Livonia.... I worded with a guy in Nunda he is a retired operator heavy equipment . He lives on the family farm and hangs out a legion or vfw club drinking beer. Cant think of his name.

1 minute ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Yes, I knew Tom Stamp, saw that '38 Bentley 4 1/4 L MX sport sedan before it was lost in the 1976 fire in his Dansville shop.  Mental images of that Bentley still haunt me...

What was the odd car  dad sold him? It was like a R ickenbaker or something quite scarcer.. I sold Tom some things for his Porshe speedster.

Here is my driver.. 1929 . I just put a 1932 Franklin fan in it. Made a world of difference in power. From 1931 on Franklins used a totally different fan that used 20 % less HP than the 1929 Fan.  Makes the old girl go over every hill in high gear.

29 roadster.png

29 roadster mike.jpg

1 minute ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Tom had a '32-'33 Rockne sedan I remember, got somewhat fire-damaged but not a total loss.

YES SIR That's the car dad sold him. The Rockne. It was a very clean car when it left Livonia.  Was that the Hat in the ring logo and had 4 wheel hydraulic brakes??

Hat-In-the-ring logo and 4 wheel hydraulic brakes was Rickenbacker and he may have had one, though I never saw it, he kept much of his collection out of sight.

Tom was always big on sports cars, drove Jaguars, restored either the burned Porsche or another one when he had the RV dealership.

12 minutes ago, mikewest said:

Here is my driver.. 1929 . I just put a 1932 Franklin fan in it. Made a world of difference in power. From 1931 on Franklins used a totally different fan that used 20 % less HP than the 1929 Fan.  Makes the old girl go over every hill in high gear.

29 roadster.png

29 roadster mike.jpg

BTW Nice-looking Franklin roadster, I'm sure you've seen me lurking around car shows for years.  You sold Famous Studebaker Bob's '30 Franklin years ago.  I was the gray-beard drooling over Russ Laidlaw's '33 Auburn Twelve convertible coupe...

3 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

BTW Nice-looking Franklin roadster, I'm sure you've seen me lurking around car shows for years.  You sold Famous Studebaker Bob's '30 Franklin years ago.

Yep, He was a hard cookie to deal with. That car was with him over 50  or 60 years.

2 minutes ago, mikewest said:

Yep, He was a hard cookie to deal with. That car was with him over 50  or 60 years.

Anyone who was interested in orphan make cars knew FSB (that's what I called him when I'd see him at RIT).   He told me he bought the Franklin in 1963, his first old car.   Do you know who got his '40 Hudson?

I could of had it... But as it was I had to go to the nursing home to buy the Franklin and it wasn't pretty getting him to sign the paper. Hi sister is a lovely lady  . She helped the deal along. The 40 was a clean car. He took a real bath on those model cars The auctioneer could give them away.

Sorry to hear that he ended up the way he did, I read his obituary at the end of December last year.    FSB was unique, one of those passionate  car collectors to the end.   We had many good discussions about orphan cars over the years, he was widely knowledgeable about a lot of makes, not just Studebakers.    I rode from RIT campus out to the Victor show 30 some years ago in his Franklin, remember seeing him at the Franklin Centennial which he tried to drive the Franklin out to before trouble developed.  Glad to know its been passed along to another collector.   RIP FSB.