1971 Cadillac coupe deville motor

Pace

I 've got an idea.

Since "Pace" has a motor that he wants to drop into "something", shouldn't the moderator move this whole chain of ideas into the "Speedster" forum.

Then we can go over there and theorize like crazy................. and no one will be offended.

Just my $ .02 and worth every cent.

Mike in colorado

9 minutes ago, FLYER15015 said:

I 've got an idea.

Since "Pace" has a motor that he wants to drop into "something", shouldn't the moderator move this whole chain of ideas into the "Speedster" forum.

Then we can go over there and theorize like crazy................. and no one will be offended.

Just my $ .02 and worth every cent.

Mike in colorado

Since you mentioned it,  why then don't you ask the moderator to move it. It's a good idea. 

38 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

The gist of the conversation was obvious from the first post, I guess my advice to someone not inclined to participate, would be just ignore it.

Would that be just the same if you saw someone breaking the law or harming someone to ignore the situation before your eyes? 

Is asking a question the same as breaking the law? The very first post is asking a question about a car that fits the AACA rules and he ask what old school body the engine may fit in. He gets advice about possible cars AND how difficult that may be. He also gets advice to find another body of the same make and model as the 71 caddie the engine is from. He’s asking the right questions. He joined the forum and maybe will join the association because people responded to him. Hopefully he will find a matching body or at least a period correct car and save another old car. The added benefit is a new member. What’s the down side of that?  If you have a vehicle that does not have the original engine in it, do you have to resign from the association?  If that’s the case I believe membership would see a large reduction. Have some compassion for a person asking a question and maybe your help will keep him as a positive addition to the forum. 
dave s 

ps basically stop being such a hard ass, you usually have good things to say but this subject seems to have really bugged you. 
My two cents and Probably not worth a penny 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

But what if you didn't know that what you were doing was against the law? I guess what you are saying is that ignorance is not an excuse-hard to argue that point except on the inquirer's intent. I'm pretty sure the original poster will not be back, nobody likes being pilloried for asking a simple question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

The gist of the conversation was obvious from the first post, I guess my advice to someone not inclined to participate, would be just ignore it.

No the issue remains that I was advised to try this forum out because the members are educated on the subject. But since I posted it’s been some very informal conversation but over shadowed by rude and unnecessary chatter so I have altogether removed myself and actually trying to delete my account 

• Like 1

So the question is, if we were all in a bar,  would there be a fight ?

Most of what I read above is exactly how new folks get driven out of a group that is constantly bemoaning the fact that we cannot get new people into this hobby...........

I rest my case.

Mike in Colorado

• Like 4

Yeah, I'm with you 100% Mike. And anyway '71 cars and their engines are antique 'round these parts. I am in favor of being gentle while giving newbies advice. Let them hang out with us for a bit and see if they like what we  do.   -   Carl 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 3:59 AM, edinmass said:

Here is a strange project.......a pre war Seagrave fire truck engine placed in a Chevy pick up. He spent years doing it, and the work quality was decent. Unfortunately he had zero clue as to a overall design. I bet he had 50k out of pocket and 3000 hours in it. Guess what happened when it put it for sale...........just because someone can do something, doesn’t mean they should.

ACF3BDAF-24A1-4EAE-8058-842A69A34A1B.png

But the guy stuck with it and it looks like he even got to drive it.

As mentioned before....FUN STUFF, that's what all of this is supposed to be about.

Chased off another one.

A couple of naysayers here ruin it for new guys often.

Probably those guys that nit pick at the gatherings that I don't like to get stuck next to.

As mentioned, if the subject is not within your interests move on and let the rest of us enjoy.

I PM’d  the OP and he said this forum was recommended to him as being good, knowledgeable and friendly. He was surprised by the negative approach some had to a question he thought was OK. He is trying to buy a Buick someone said would be a good fit and appreciated the help. I told him if the hood is closed and the body is kept stock no one will know it’s a Caddy engine. Go for it have fun and keep us in the loop how it goes. Sorry if that breaks a rule but it may just save another old car and get a young guy involved in the hobby. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I like to help with this sort of thing but also like alternators, AGM batteries, and radial tires so what do I know.

Thing is "general discussion" should be named "as the factory built it", and some of the sub forums (like the Buick ones) might be more receptive. OTOH the Allante section seems pretty ded.

Personally find the "General Discussion" more enjoyment and "whazzat" than making roadworthy/inspectable (for those in repressive states).

I'm fairly new to this site. When I came here I had a tremendous amount of questions that I thought I already knew the answers to. I asked my question and although I got great advice from many great members, there was a few that seemed to be smart-mouths. I just passed by those few because I know they are everywhere. I can understand the frustration this feller must have felt. I love these forums because of the great amount of knowledge you guys and gals offer. This sport/hobby IS going away partly because a large amount of the people who want to be in this hobby don't know a lot about cars and trucks and frankly don't know who to ask. Please do the hobby/sport a favor and think about how your message may sound to others before you post. If I ask something that's not appropriate, just tell me where I should look and why.  Thanks again to all who make forums like this great !  Robert

• Like 1