Memoribilia to view - A guide

14 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

There is a nice Gillette sign re 1947 in the upcoming Richmond auction. item #9

Thanks. I enjoy their catalogs but don't need one quite that badly. Running out of wall space anyway.

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

On 1/8/2024 at 11:54 AM, Walt G said:

I am listing this here rather then to RR section as it is more of a curiosity in addition to being  a car part , like spark plugs are with a brand name.

It is a screw on hubcap for a Rolls Royce as is evident but the curiosity part is what series it fits and the story behind it. There are some great screw on hubcaps with names/logos etc and I am surprised no one has started a thread on that. This particular one fits a 1905 - 1907 Rolls Royce 30 Horsepower car. That was the series that just pre dated the Silver Ghost.

The specs are 4 1/4 inches diameter at the threads and 3 1/8 inches at the flats where the wrench would be fitted to tighten and loosen it.

The 30 Horsepower R-R saw a low production with nil survival rate. This hubcap was found by F.G. Wade - Palmer of the Jack O' Lantern Garage in Romsey, Hampshire England. . He found it when he was a consultant for a film company that was filming the movie Lawrence of Arabia  in 1962 in Spain. Wade-Palmer was the mechanic on the set to make sure all the RR Silver Ghosts used in the film were in proper working order and stayed that way. He needed some parts to do this and went to the RR agency building that dated back to pre WWI era to see if they had any spare parts still there ( I believe this was in Barcelona) . Sure enough they did have some Ghost parts as well as this hubcap! He bought the parts as well as the hubcap and it came back to England when he was done with the film work. ( Wade-Plamer flew Hurricane fighter planes in WWII and passed away in 1986)

Mike Worthington - Williams the noted automotive historian and author got the hubcap from Wade Palmer and when I was visiting Mike at his home in Wales decades ago I saw the cap and was fascinated by it and its history. We did a trade and it came back to the USA with me and has been in my library ever since .I  Iook at it every day.   NO it is not for sale nor trade.

Hope you enjoyed the story.

PS have to add that the cap is in excellent condition, the black areas you see is where the plating has come off in blotches like you see. Have never seen plating do that and it was this way when I got it 40+ years ago has not gotten worse. Surface is smooth. Perhaps this is due to the many decades it sat in storage in Spain?

RR 30HP HUBCAP 1905-1907.jpg

Hi Walt, I just created a thread here in the forums for antique threaded hubcaps 

On the course of collecting over the last 40+ years I have made several purchases in which I was not sure of originality, especially after getting them home although two of my suspect signs were recently authenticated by having identical examples in the upcoming Richmond auction. An example is the spark plug porcelain Terry and I discussed on August 15. 
To my knowledge I have only knowingly purchased a “repro” on one occasion and that was in the 80’s after seeing a NOS sell for 20K. Every time I look at it I’m not sorry. DSP. 18 by 36. Dealer asking price was $175

IMG_3511.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice stuff! The match safes are something I've collected a long time.  Here are a couple that I'll be showing off in my seminar at the upcoming AACA Convention:

Enameled.jpg

Art Nouveau.jpg

End opener.jpg

IMG_2086.JPG

Silver plated Vesta.jpg

Nickle plated vesta.jpg

Silver vesta art deco style.jpg

• Like 7

A couple of pump plates. I have seen so many for sale over the years that I suspect most are reproductions and probably have several more in my storage facility. Is the one without grommets a reproduction?

IMG_3515.jpeg

IMG_3514.jpeg

• Like 1

I dont have a White Crown so its hard to tell by comparing. Photo of the back would help. Most repros I've seen have been rough gray on the back. The originals in my collection are smooth white like the front

Terry

The wife is hosting an organization meeting for an upcoming fundraiser for our animal rescue non profit and the four rescue dogs and I have been banished to the car facility giving me time to go through another file cabinet drawer.  This was to celebrate Buicks Golden Anniversary in 1953

IMG_3527.jpeg

IMG_3528.jpeg

IMG_3531.jpeg

IMG_3529.jpeg

IMG_3530.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Wolf’s Head was established in 1785 as The Empire Oil Works to produce lamp oil. Over the years it underwent several name changes with Wolfs Head adopted in 1940.  20 by 30 in. SSP stamped 7/54

IMG_3373.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mike McCandless said:

Excited about getting this pair! I have a desoto pair, first time I've seen a pair of the Chryslers!

Thanks for sharing Mike, appreciate that so we can all even know this kind of stuff exists!

I am an author so words are important BUT I also taught art for 35+ years and know that viewing an image added to the words just gives all of us the much bigger "picture" of what actually was there and happened.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, awesome sign! Have not seen another that nice before.

Terry

17 hours ago, RetroPetro said:

Base is an unmarked "fantasy" item.

I appreciate your input as I am certainly not a Texaco expert.  Please educate me on how you arrived at your conclusion.  I have not seen fantasy items before that  on the the base it is stamped "trade mark reg. US Pat off"  below each small Texaco.  The reverse side of the base is stamped Texaco 7-7-36.  Seems like they went to a lot of detail for a "fantasy" casting nor have I ever seen another one in person or on evil bay.

• Like 1

Why would an oil company put all those words on a utilitarian item (curb sign base) that wouldn't be seen by passing motorists?

Issues with font.

Patent wording, makers marks, and dating mean nothing. Sign fakers routinely use them.

Texaco marketed nationwide. Mobil, Pennzoil, etc bases appear regularly at gas and oil shows. If this was real, it would too.

It was made as a decorator piece. 

On 3/15/2024 at 8:33 PM, RetroPetro said:

Nice garage display item but not an authentic Texaco item. Base is an unmarked "fantasy" item.

This is correct. This sign was only made in a 42" size, not a lollipop. Base is fantasy as well. This was meant to be a copy of what they call the Texaco Black-T. If you compare it to the 42's, color is off, font is off, etc. Font is usually the first thing to look at when uncertain. Modern fonts are just different. It's hard to explain sometimes, but once you "see" it, you know it. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 7:43 AM, Mike McCandless said:

This is correct.

Thanks for the conformation Mike.  For what I paid for it I will continue to enjoy it as a fantasy item and give it to my son when I no longer need it.

Cool. Badges with date attachments are great.  

Terry

• Like 1

Here is something a bit different - chimney flue covers with automobiles on them.  I've not seen many but have these in my collection. 

Of course Santa driving a car would be hung at Christmas time.  Be careful though as this one has been reproduced.  Give-away is the plastic cover.  Originals had a very thin glass cover like other flue covers. 

The cover with the gas pump and the car being refueled is the only one like it I've ever seen.  It's a bit smaller than most others. 

Last one is my favorite.  It's an image that also appears on postcards. 

If you have examples of any others please post photos.  Better yet if you have one I don't have maybe I could add it to my collection?

Terry

Santa flue cover.jpg

Flue cover 2.jpg

Early motorists.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The graphic imagry of early automobilia is what really rings my bell.  Whether it's a piece of sheet music, a magazine cover, postcard, lithograph or any other object from the early days of the automobile, as long as it has a striking image, I get excited.  Sure some of it crosses over into other areas of collecting- advertising in particular, but when someone asks me what I collect, it's sometimes hard to get people to understand without seeing.  Here are a few recent acquisitions -

Terry

1903 Broadway maazine.jpg

Pope toledo ad.jpg

Bokmark.jpg

Broach with jeweled headlamps.jpg

The Merry Society Girl march and two step.jpg

• Like 3

Great stuff Ed.  I've got a few watch fobs in the collection but this book is one of my favorite Pierce items.  It was done as a promotional item for Pierce and includes factory photos, information about the assembly process, and details of the Great Arrow.

It's in fabulous condition and was given to me years ago by a good friend.

Terry

Pierce great Arrow book.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

This was given to me by a local resident of the village that our shop is in.  I've never seen a piece with both the Autopar and Mopar logos before.   I suspect it to be late 70's, into the 80's.  

image.jpeg.0c392041c31a5007991192309dfd629d.jpeg

image.jpeg.b7851cd9effc721b5f3faa2a550d109b.jpeg

• Like 1