Memoribilia to view - A guide

Interestingly Dodge Brothers never made a truck while the brothers were alive.    Instead the Dodge truck story began with three brothers named Graham who sold their successful glass company in 1907.  The glass company later became Libby-Owens-Ford.  In 1916 they entered the truck body business which eventually morphed into producing a line of Graham Brothers trucks.  Between 1921-1929 they produced all trucks for Dodge which supplied the engines and Spicer gearboxes.  Dodge purchased the Graham Brothers Truck firm in 1925-26.   At that point trucks with the Dodge nameplate were rated as half ton and heavier trucks carried the Graham name.  

This sigh is a wooden Smaltz sigh, 22 by 49 inches.  Smalting is a time old tradition of making a long lasting textured sigh backgrounds by embedding fine pignmented glass or colored sand.  Smalterings were most popular from 1865-1935 although it is still used Vital Signs of Verona WI.

IMG_2606.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

A little more information on the Graham brothers.  After being bought out in 25-26 all three brothers joined the Dodge management for a couple of years.  Both Dodge brothers had died in 1920 and the company was run by the widows for five years before being purchased by an investment company in 1927 and subsequently by Chrysler in 1928. Sensing that changes were coming the brothers left Dodge and bought the Page Car Company which became Graham Paige Cars.  They built V8 and six cylinder  cars for many years with the 1940 Graham Hollywood being one of the final offerings.  They converted to military production during the war and were absorbed by Kaiser-Fraser in 1945.

• Like 1

Great history. I highly recommend a visit to the American Sign Museum in Cicciarelli Ohio. It's amazing with some great signs well displayed

Lots of history there. 

Terry

• Like 1

Great Graham advertisement Jim.  I have to admit I was ignorant of the Graham/Dodge history until I started to research the sign.  For interesting reading on the Graham Brothers read thishttps://www.grahamownersclub.com/history.html.  As I study early automotive history I am reminded of the relationship between the Bicycle and automobiles.  A ball bearing bicycle, the Evans and Dodge Bicycle was the first product of the Dodge Brothers.  This was abandoned in 1903 to concentrate on automobiles.

• Like 1

Like Terry Bond I have had interesting finds in thrift stores over the years.  The following sign was picked up in a thrift store in the early 80's.  I initially thought it was a simple paper sigh until I went to replace the backing recently.  It is a linen backed lithograph 25 by 29 inches ca 1955.  I have never seen another for sale or in a collection although a single example was sold at The Potter and Potter lithograph auction in 2019.  A fun Indy 500 related sigh.  Looks great on the wall.

IMG_3293.jpg

Edited by Robert G. Smits
addition (see edit history)
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

I have to admit I was ignorant of the Graham/Dodge history until I started to research the sign.  For interesting reading on the Graham Brothers read thishttps://www.grahamownersclub.com/history.html.  As I study early automotive history I am reminded of the relationship between the Bicycle and automobiles.  A ball bearing bicycle, the Evans and Dodge Bicycle was the first product of the Dodge Brothers.  This was abandoned in 1903 to concentrate on automobiles.

Thanks for posting that informative article, Robert.  I learned a lot about Graham-Paige from it and have a better appreciation for the company.

Neat item from my office display case. It's a large upholstery brush with celluloid advertising on top. 

Terry

20220703_115605.jpg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:
On 11/14/2023 at 12:54 PM, Robert G. Smits said:

Thanks for posting that informative article, Robert.  I learned a lot about Graham-Paige from it and have a better appreciation for the company.

Isn't it amazing what information is available with the click of a mouse today.  Especially for those of us who were born before the explosion of technology.  I paid $100 for my first calculator with four functions and no memory.  I thought I was in heaven.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Isn't it amazing what information is available with the click of a mouse today.  Especially for those of us who were born before the explosion of technology.  I paid $100 for my first calculator with four functions and no memory.  I thought I was in heaven.

that's for sure;

I think I paid $44.95 for my Texas Instruments 4-function calculator I bought at Radio Shack in 1974.  It still works and I have the receipt for it, too.

• Like 1

There are several varieties of these change-purse chauffeur caps - this one has an automobile on the leather top. I've seen the leather in brown, red, and this blue.

Terry

Change purse chauffeurs cap style 2.jpg

• Like 5

Dayton Rubber Co began in 1905 producing rubber hose and garden rings. Three years later the invented the 

“Airless Tire” which was quite popular solving the problem of frequent flats. Dayton was an early provider of white sidewalls in 1913

Dayton Thoroughbred was their line of low pressure tires introduced in 1922. What really put them on the map was their research in synthetic rubber producing the worlds first tire made entirely of synthetic rubber in 1934. They were purchased by Firestone in 1961

IMG_2890.jpeg

• Like 3

Here is the largest sign in my humble collection. Measures a full sheet 4' wide x 8' high. I always wondered if this motor oil was related to the Hudson Automobile. I haven't found a lot of information but it seems they were not related. If anyone has any information, please share.

103_1384.JPG

• Like 3

I suspect your sign came from one of the Hudson Oil Stations.  In 1933, after her husband was killed in a truck accident, Mary Hudson borrowed $200 from her father to open her first Hudson Oil station in Kansas City. It was the first of more than 300 gas stations and convenience stores that became a $325 million business.  For more information google a New York Times Obituary from sept 5, 1999 titled "Mary Hudson,86, Entrepreneur Who Build the Hudson Oil Empire".  At one time she owned her own refinery.

addition (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Small things fit nicely into showcases in the house.  This new addition will have a special place among my other match safes. 

These are of course also known as "Vestas."  This is one of several different types of small cases designed to hold matches, to light your cigar, or perhaps your gas headlamps.  There is a small area on the base that is serrated to strike matches on.  This silver plated brass vesta has a hand-done early motoring image.  A man and woman are out in their runabout for an afternoon drive.  It is beautifully enamelled.  I's not just painted on - the enameling is done on an area that has been specially engraved so the surface is even once the enameling has been fired.  It's a real work of art.   Most likely it was done in Europe - France, Germany, maybe even the UK.  I've not yet discovered a hallmark that might give a clue on origin or date, but certainly it is early 1900s.  I acquired it recently from another collector.

Terry

Silver with enamel image.jpg

• Like 5

Thats pretty finely detailed for such a small object there Terry.

Have seen all sorts of patterns and images/ scenes on these sort of cases and similar, over years, but this is first transport related one. 

But I admit I don't go looking, might have to now. Thanks. Rod. 

On 10/21/2020 at 3:42 PM, Walt G said:

OK time to get into a VANE mode. weather vane of course. This was 2 stories up on the top of a gas station in Mineola , N.Y. and when my friends who ran the station were leaving because the word is the place would be torn down ( it was built ca. 1934). I stopped by and wondered why no one had taken down the weather vane that was there since the building was new - my answer was that they didn't like height ( neither did I ) so it would stay and become part of the debris heap. I went home and loaded a wood construction ladder into my 41 Packard woody wagon and with my Dad along went back and climbed up and cut it down with a hack saw ( it was November, really cold and by the time I got there was dark) had a small flash light in my mouth to see what I was working on . Several friends stopped by and wondered who was at the top of the ladder and when told who in a loud voice said " REALLY are you nuts!"  . They never did tear the building down but it got sealed up and turned into a laundry.

The weather vane is about 36 inches wide for the length of the car which resembles a 1935-36 Chrysler product or a Reo or a ? I do not know who made the weather vane but it is very well detailed in heavy sheet metal . Today for many decades it has resided on the top of my garage. Still functioning well . I had to fabricate a new base for it to fit well on the garage here.

Weathervane.jpg

weathervane two.jpg

This is one that I madeimage.jpeg.8f9b96dba9445856e991ff327ff2a753.jpeg

• Like 5

As anyone who has been to my garage knows my collecting interests include Breweriana   So why am I highlighting a Wiskey lithograph today other than this is one of my favorite pre-Prohibition 3-D Lithograph dating back to 1906.  Herman Hulman and his Wiskey fortune saved the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.  His son Tony Hulman purchased the delapidated speedway from a group of owners led by WW1 Ace Eddie Rickenbacker in 1945 and popularized the Indy 500.  Hulman made three time Indy 500 winner Wilber Shaw track president.  Following Shaw's death in 1954 Hulman became the "Face" of the speedway.

This particular piece of advertising was produced by artist Herm Michalarske  to be distributed and used for saloon advertising.  The outer border sits 1 inch forward of the image in a fragile arrangement that has been preserved perfectly.

IMG_3420 (1).jpg

IMG_3422.jpg

IMG_3421.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Invader Motor Oil sign  DSP with stand.  Approximately 30 by 40 inches.  I have been unable to find much history. There is a 1913 add for sale on eBay while a internet source lists a 1921 start date in Oklahoma City.  Maybe there were two companies.

IMG_2605.jpg

• Like 3

Love my pins, buttons, fobs and other small stuff that can be stored in flat trays and easily viewed.  More later on those, but had to share this wonderful piece that arrived just today from Belgium.  It's been a lengthy journey!  

This was first spotted for sale from a Belgian antique dealer via the internet.  Correspondence ensued, and an agreement to purchase was made.  Several days later, I got an email that simply said he has misplaced the item but would keep searching.  A month later, another email.  Still no joy in finding it.  Seems there were several possible locations - vacation home, shop, current residence, or ?   He was confident it would turn up and he was certain it was not sold to anyone else or shipped to someone in error.  My money was cheerfully refunded after receiving the dealers promise that when it turned up, it was mine. 

During nearly a year following this, I'd forgotten all about it - until I received an email about a month ago.  He had found it, and true to his promise, I was able to re-purchase it.

As an active antique dealer, selling a lot of real antiques world-wide, trust was not an issue.  He promptly shipped it with a tracking number.  I'm never sure how valid those numbers are and if they are compatible with the US Post Office tracking system once leaving the country of origin.  Results seem to vary widely for the many items I've purchased from Europe. 

I was able to keep track of it and saw it bounce around to several different locations, sometimes back and forth between two - both an easy drive from home.  I was getting worried, but today, it was finally delivered safely.

It was worth the wait!

This is a wonderful folding travel mirror.  It opens like a little booklet and has the mirror inside.  It's made so it will fold flat or stand up so the mirror could sit on a dressing table.

the front is a fabulous embossed celluloid image of a lady in an early automobile.   It was made in Germany.  I'd estimate it to be from the early 1900s.

Folding travel mirror.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/22/2023 at 7:29 PM, pkhammer said:

Here is the largest sign in my humble collection. Measures a full sheet 4' wide x 8' high. I always wondered if this motor oil was related to the Hudson Automobile. I haven't found a lot of information but it seems they were not related. If anyone has any information, please share.

103_1384.JPG

It makes me wonder if the 20¢ “Re-refined” oil was just filtered into cans from collected drainage.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 2:50 PM, Robert G. Smits said:

My smallest piece of advertising, about the size of a nickel advertising the 1934 Pontiac. Pin-back buttons were patented in 1896 by the advertising company Whitehead and Hoag. 

IMG_3391.jpeg

Even smaller are some of these lapel pins, often worn by salesman.  Photos are a few from my collection.  Like fobs, you can often tell the real from the reproductions by markings on the back. 

Terry

Pin group 1 my collection.jpg

Pin group 2 my collection.jpg

Pin group 3 my collection.jpg

Pin group 4 my collection.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks for sharing Terry.  I loved the story on your treasure from Belgium.   It adds to the appreciation. Several years ago I purchased 4 rather large porcelain non automotive advertising pieces from Australia. As the air freight was going to be more than I paid for the items I elected to have them shipped via sea. It took so long I gave up and figured the dealer had scammed me. Showed up perfectly packed in a wooden crate nine months later. 

• Like 1

Safemark was a trademark of the Farm Bureau and was initially limited to tractor tires. Established in the late 50’s and discontinued in 1986. Tires were manufactured by General Tire.   26 by 35. Stamped 3/76

IMG_3376.jpeg

Addition and (see edit history)
  • Like 2

One of my favorite signs is this tin lithographed sign advertising Exide Batteries.  My poor quality photo doesn't do it justice!  I's not perfect but the colors are bright and the graphics are super.   It's a souvenir from Scotland, removed from inside of a garage door of an old gas station many years ago.

20180420_201330.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I am listing this here rather then to RR section as it is more of a curiosity in addition to being  a car part , like spark plugs are with a brand name.

It is a screw on hubcap for a Rolls Royce as is evident but the curiosity part is what series it fits and the story behind it. There are some great screw on hubcaps with names/logos etc and I am surprised no one has started a thread on that. This particular one fits a 1905 - 1907 Rolls Royce 30 Horsepower car. That was the series that just pre dated the Silver Ghost.

The specs are 4 1/4 inches diameter at the threads and 3 1/8 inches at the flats where the wrench would be fitted to tighten and loosen it.

The 30 Horsepower R-R saw a low production with nil survival rate. This hubcap was found by F.G. Wade - Palmer of the Jack O' Lantern Garage in Romsey, Hampshire England. . He found it when he was a consultant for a film company that was filming the movie Lawrence of Arabia  in 1962 in Spain. Wade-Palmer was the mechanic on the set to make sure all the RR Silver Ghosts used in the film were in proper working order and stayed that way. He needed some parts to do this and went to the RR agency building that dated back to pre WWI era to see if they had any spare parts still there ( I believe this was in Barcelona) . Sure enough they did have some Ghost parts as well as this hubcap! He bought the parts as well as the hubcap and it came back to England when he was done with the film work. ( Wade-Plamer flew Hurricane fighter planes in WWII and passed away in 1986)

Mike Worthington - Williams the noted automotive historian and author got the hubcap from Wade Palmer and when I was visiting Mike at his home in Wales decades ago I saw the cap and was fascinated by it and its history. We did a trade and it came back to the USA with me and has been in my library ever since .I  Iook at it every day.   NO it is not for sale nor trade.

Hope you enjoyed the story.

PS have to add that the cap is in excellent condition, the black areas you see is where the plating has come off in blotches like you see. Have never seen plating do that and it was this way when I got it 40+ years ago has not gotten worse. Surface is smooth. Perhaps this is due to the many decades it sat in storage in Spain?

RR 30HP HUBCAP 1905-1907.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Herbert Gillette was a founding partner of Peninsular Tire and Rubber company in 1912,  Together with his brother Raymond they developed a system to avoid flat tires.  In 1913 they and their partners created the Gillette Safety Tire company in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.  On May 23, 1917 the company produced its first experimental tire.  One year later the company was producing 500 tires and 500 tubes per day.  Thanks to the Great Depression the company was acquired by United States Tire Company in 1931.  US Rubber was renamed Uniroyal in the 1967 and merged with BF Goodrich in the 1980's.  Decades later they were purchased by Michelin.

Embossed 24 by 78.  Self framed SST,  Stamped 11-41

IMG_3379.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the history. It's always great to see your posts with all the background info.

Do you know when the brand name actually disappeared? 

Terry

12 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Do you know when the brand name actually disappeared?

Bridgestone purchased the Gillette brand in 1997.  They used the name to badge its Winterforce tire.  They retired the brand May 11, 2009

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 8:59 PM, Robert G. Smits said:

Bridgestone purchased the Gillette brand in 1997.  They used the name to badge its Winterforce tire.  They retired the brand May 11, 2009

Thanks for the info. I've had the chance to buy a tin sign recently but the guy whose had it fir years thought it was 1930s, but the tire sure looked like 60s to me. 

Terry

• Like 1

The Polar Bear and tire logo was implemented at the company's beginning and was used to promote the idea that Gillette's Chilled Rubber Process produced tires that were not damaged by cold, heat or dampness.  The logo went through a process of graphic evolution over the years  eventually emphasizing the "Winter Tire" theme.  

An interesting side note is that Raymond Gillette endowed the company with it's own radio station in 1925. WTAQ which was popularly known as the "Bear for Wear" with WTAQ standing for "Where Tires are Quality".  As I research these early masters of commerce I am always impressed by their understanding the importance of advertising.

spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

I've had the chance to buy a tin sign recently but the guy whose had it fir years thought it was 1930s, but the tire sure looked like 60s to me. 

There is a nice Gillette sign re 1947 in the upcoming Richmond auction. item #9

• Like 1