Have an extra $280k laying around?

No batteries or electricity involved. Is a purely mechanical watch powered by twin mainspring barrels. Truly amazing craftsmanship and technology demonstrated here.

9 hours ago, bdc said:

Want to see the NAPA guy's eye pop? show him your watch and ask if he can cross reference the filter number. 

On a Bugatti Chiron it only cost $25k for an oil change.

It should be a couple of $K less now with the price of oil gone down!!

Craig

11 hours ago, AzBob said:

No batteries or electricity involved. Is a purely mechanical watch powered by twin mainspring barrels. Truly amazing craftsmanship and technology demonstrated here.

That's weird. I read another article on it that said, "Moreover, there's a functioning "fuel reserve" that keeps the watch's 60-hour battery life in check. "

Bugatti Watch at Interesting Engineering

Matt,

What you are seeing and reading about is the mainsprings power reserve indicator. A common complication often seen on high end mechanical watches. There are no batteries. Is powered by twin mainsprings. One of which can be seen directly below the power reserve “fuel reserve” indicator.

Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 11.53.02 AM.png

Edited by AzBob (see edit history)
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, AzBob said:

Matt,

What you are seeing and reading about is the mainsprings power reserve indicator. A common complication often seen on high end mechanical watches. There are no batteries. Is powered by twin mainsprings. One of which can be seen directly below the power reserve “fuel reserve” indicator.

Then that's about 10 different kinds of cool!

I know Matt has explained the workings of the mind of people with truly vast fortunes, but I just don't get a $280,000.00 watch. And I even own a modest collection of vintage pocket watches and wrist watches .

And have with some success even done my own dismantling, cleaning , and re - assembly. I have had the best success with 1900 - 1925 Longines pocket watches. Very easy to work on , at least the standard models without complications.

The Bugatti watch is sort of cool ...until the price tag is revealed. You could buy a real Bugatti for that sort of money. With change for a nice vintage chronograph as a bonus.

Greg in Canada

19 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

I know Matt has explained the workings of the mind of people with truly vast fortunes, but I just don't get a $280,000.00 watch. And I even own a modest collection of vintage pocket watches and wrist watches .

And have with some success even done my own dismantling, cleaning , and re - assembly. I have had the best success with 1900 - 1925 Longines pocket watches. Very easy to work on , at least the standard models without complications.

The Bugatti watch is sort of cool ...until the price tag is revealed. You could buy a real Bugatti for that sort of money. With change for a nice vintage chronograph as a bonus.

Greg in Canada

Greg, here is an accurate and true statement.........280k doesn’t buy much of a watch........or a car for that matter........

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

there are several vintage  watches I would treasure for less than 5 K each.

Not "vintage" but I do treasure my Timex Indiglo. It's WAY more accurate than any mechanical wonder piece. Lites up in the wee hours as I get up to pee for the third time. Has good looks, works very well and lasts a long time.

The only thing it lacks is bragging rights.

OTOH, the fact that I'm wise enough to get all this for about $39.00 is in itself brag worthy..............Bob

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 2:00 PM, AzBob said:

Matt,

$280K and its not self winding, ????????????????????????????????????????????