1928 Pontiac Landau Coupe

Delco32V

Figured I’d share as we can use some mental distraction. My Pop and me and my sons are new proud caretakers of our family’s 1928 Pontiac landau coupe. 😀

You may have seen it at Hershey. Pops brother restored it and It was a senior winner in 2013.  It will be at Allentown in July.  I run it once a week and we try to get it out if it is dry outside. 

I should have shot the engine bay too, it’s just as pristine. 

One small issue, what causes the speedo drum to bounce?. Lube dry??

Thank you!
Mike Schweikert

Jamison PA

• Like 16

Undo the casing  from the speedo head, pull the cable out.  Wipe it clean and re-lube the bottom third.  Unless you have some lube that has worked itself into the head that should solve your problem.

I helped a friend put one of these back together 6/7 years ago, a project his Dad had begun 50 years ago and never finished. This is a '27 Landau Coupe, and he has painted it same colors as yours. In his case, his Dad had finished the drivetrain and chassis and passed away 10 years ago. 50% of the wood framing was missing and we had nothing much to go by, but using the sheet metal as a guide and lots of period illustrations and photos, managed to make everything needed. It is now a great little better than "driver quality"beauty. 

IMG_2559B.jpg

IMG_2560.JPG

IMG_2670.JPG

IMG_2668.JPG

• Like 3

Absolutely love the colors!  Just so period correct the way they should be. There have been so many high end restorations done to perfection and then the colors chosen were way to modern for the period and make the cars look like they should be leading a Barnum & Bailey Circus parade. How many car owners  20-25 years ago or more choose to paint their cars silver and maroon , it was a fad, everything from roadsters to 7 passenger sedans and limousines were painted silver and maroon.

It is like living in a 1920s era English tudor style house with all the wonderful stucco and wood trim and leaded glass windows, and seeing that have the wood painted red and the stucco painted bright orange because the owners feel it will look good. Believe me some people wanted to do that , that is not a joke - I started an Architectural review board here in the village I reside in 35-40 years ago because wonderful houses were being transformed into structures that rival Disneyworld.  Things in that respect have settled down as a lot of people now respect 'the way it was' or "near the way it was" more but at the time I was not a very popular person here in town at all. I recall more then one person who came before the review board stating " it's my house so I should be able to paint it the color I want, what do you know about it?" I answered that I had my masters degree+ in art, had studied architecture and taught classes on same, plus the village had to take into consideration the neighbors who would be viewing "their house " 24/7 because they lived across the street and that is what they would see out their front windows.  They got real quiet and didn't question "why" they were denied that "improvement". 🤐

Thank you for painting this wonderful Pontiac period correct colors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

How many car owners  20-25 years ago or more choose to paint their cars silver and maroon , it was a fad, everything from roadsters to 7 passenger sedans and limousines were painted silver and maroon.

Case in point.The original engine is completely chrome plated too.

1925 Buick Standard Six 4 Passenger coupe 1.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2020 at 8:08 PM, Delco32V said:

Figured I’d share as we can use some mental distraction. My Pop and me and my sons are new proud caretakers of our family’s 1928 Pontiac landau coupe. 😀

You may have seen it at Hershey. Pops brother restored it and It was a senior winner in 2013.  It will be at Allentown in July.  I run it once a week and we try to get it out if it is dry outside.

Gorgeous car!  And neat that it's been in your family since new.

2 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

I helped a friend put one of these back together 6/7 years ago, a project his Dad had begun 50 years ago and never finished. This is a '27 Landau Coupe, and he has painted it same colors as yours. In his case, his Dad had finished the drivetrain and chassis and passed away 10 years ago. 50% of the wood framing was missing and we had nothing much to go by, but using the sheet metal as a guide and lots of period illustrations and photos, managed to make everything needed. It is now a great little better than "driver quality"beauty.

IMG_2670.JPG

Looks like figuring out all that wood required a lot of liquid sustenance.  🤣  Nice work!

1 hour ago, Pfeil said:

I know GM ( Thompson ) created synchromesh trans for 1928 Cadillac. Anyone know when the other divisions got it? Pontiac in particular.

And Delco32V, how do you get on with your crash box?

If it is a synchromesh, it don't act like it :)

Slow to up shift and double clutch to downshift and a blip on the gas....... besides, who is in a hurry? 😀

The other thing that is funny, is trying to get into it, where those 1920s folks were tiny, nowadays.......um well you know..... 

Edited by Delco32V (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Delco32V said:

If it is a synchromesh, it don't act like it :)

Slow to up shift and double clutch to downshift and a blip on the gas....... besides, who is in a hurry? 😀

The other thing that is funny, is trying to get into it, where those 1920s folks were tiny, nowadays.......um well you know..... 

I know your car is a crash box, that's why I asked how you liked shifting it.

My other question was since Cadillac got synchromesh  in 1928 when did the other divisions get it, and in particular Pontiac?

Hi  Delco 32V,  Thankyou for showing your car to us. It is of particular interest to me as I’m painting my car a similar original green, though with dark green guards. See Stutz page comments. Much negative debate has been here regarding painting a car green . To me, and others I’ve discussed this with, find no problems. Green in the correct colour is fine like yours. Period correct.. I personally thought that certain  colours become fashionable,,,,,for while, and then are just not right. Nice car. Try and wear it out now! Have fun. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pfeil said:

I know your car is a crash box, that's why I asked how you liked shifting it.

My other question was since Cadillac got synchromesh  in 1928 when did the other divisions get it, and in particular Pontiac?

As far as I know it was the 1929 model Cadillacs, and presumably LaSalle,  that were the first with synchromesh. When, if ever, they got synchro on low I don't know.

Buick got it for 1931, although the lower price Series 50 had to wait until later in the model year.

Olds got it for '31 and Pontiac got it for 1932. 

Some info from The Standard Catalog.