1934 Ford pickup factory stock info help

If you've read the modeling thread you know I'm a modeler. Now I'm turning to the experts on here for help. What colors were 1934 Ford pickups available in? What should the interior and dashboard look like? I have a brand new reissue of the 34 truck kit and I'd like to build it as totally factory stock. Thanks!

In Loren Sorensen's  excellent 1984 book "The Commercial Fords", on page 221 there is an is a appendix of all Ford commercial  colour combos from 1928-1956 which contains the following information:

"1934 FORD COMMERCIAL COLORS;

Standard commercial colours:     Vermilion, Mountain Brown, Golden Orange, Blue Rock Green...

Plus passenger car colours:           Medium Lustre Black, Dearborn Blue, Cordoba Grey, Vineyard Green, and coach Maroon.

Stripe:  choice of Catawba Green, Silver Grey, Gold, or Tacoma Cream on any colour.

Wheels, fenders, running boards and sheet-metal: Black."

Although not mentioned in the addendum, I believe the dash panel and exposed interior metal were all painted  the same colour as the exterior cab.

Edited by dustycrusty (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

Trucks are work vehicles,  please NO wide whitewalls😀

I agree! Nothing worse than seeing a modern movie supposedly set in a dirty, 1930's dust-bowl dirt main street village and every spotless car and truck is decked out in wide whitewalls, dual side-mounts, wind wings, moto-metres, grille guards  and curb-feelers! 

A contemporary photograph by Dorthea Lange  of a similar scene woulda shown a bunch of beat-up, --dusty, crusty-- (!!)  sun- baked trucks and cars with nary a whitewall in sight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dustycrusty said:

I agree! Nothing worse than seeing a modern movie supposedly set in a dirty, 1930's dust-bowl dirt main street village and every spotless car and truck is decked out in wide whitewalls, dual side-mounts, wind wings, moto-metres, grille guards  and curb-feelers! 

A contemporary photograph by Dorthea Lange  of a similar scene woulda shown a bunch of beat-up, --dusty, crusty-- (!!)  sun- baked trucks and cars with nary a whitewall in sight.

This is so true.  If you look at my avatar, that's me with my 1930 Ford pickup...and that's how they looked in the 1930's and 1940's. 

For those of you that have seen the movie 'The Highwaymen', you will see that Kevin Costner's character drives the same pickup, complete with road dirt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not sure if it is ok to mention another forum on this great site but you might try the “Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forum”. They have it grouped by years. A great bunch of guys I’m sure would help. 
dave S 

• Like 1

The above photo is indicative of the stock truck, not sure of the color though. The interior  of the cab  and dash was body color with black upholstery and floor mat. Bed  floor would have been painted body color. Ford never stain any bed wood. I have seen some examples with black grilles and shells.Wheels came from the factory black, but I think there may have been and extra cost option for colored wheels. Sometimes a customer would have the dealer repaint them but that wasn't the norm during the depression. I think by 1934, a customer could special order any color from the Ford offerings at extra cost. I also think, but am not sure ,that in 1934 Ford polished the paint on light commercial vehicles at the factory, a practice started in 1931 to boost sales. Prior to that, commercial vehicles main bodies were not rubbed out, except at extra cost. have fun, let's see some photos of your progress. I still have one of the old AMT kits I built in 1974.

• Like 1

My 1935 
Ford Pickup was used in the Hulk Hogan movie, Thunder in Paradise and the film crew usws spray on dirt to cover the shinest part, the license plate.

I agree with Real Steel, keeping them as they were is a big, but fun job.598583957_CoverShot.thumb.jpg.1c88ab44d2bf4f37b3db8e7f4b90d022.jpg

• Like 1

They have spray on dirt? I had no idea. 

I will post photos if I finish it but I should mention I have a nasty habit of starting models and never finishing them...usually because I messed up something. Or several somethings. 

23 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

My search showed me hot rods. I need photos, please.

I built one of the 34 pickup kits in the 60s before they were reissued.  Anyway. try the early V8 forum on FordBarn.  Those guys can tell you more than you ever wanted to know, and probably would post pix if you ask.  You will need correct colors/details for chassis and power-train (not everything is black) as well as body and interior.

My experience with 1:1 pickup is Model A but I expect the basics are the same for 34.  Not sure about colors but as to interior, it's pretty spartan.  Upholstery is seat and door/kick panels - rubber floor mat and no headliner.  Dash has a molded-in oval panel with speedo in center, fuel on right, amps on left and choke and throttle knobs at either end.  Cab interior metal is painted same color as exterior - steering column may be black, not sure.  Shift lever may be bright-plated (chrome or nickel) but again not sure.  IIRC, 34 bed floor is metal - whatever, metal or wood is painted body color.  Headlights and taillight are black bucket with bright (stainless) rim.

• Like 1

Billy,

I picked that kit up recently, too, and it will be bone stock.  Best of luck with the color choice.

not much help here because the paint chip scans are often too dark:

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pages/1934-Ford.html#open-modal4

the old car manual project (warning ... lots of lingerie ads for some reason):

http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/United States/Ford Motor Company Trucks-Vans/1934-Trucks/1934-Ford-V8-Trucks-Brochure/index.html

• Like 1