Need some assistance with this vehicle.

Hrafn

Hi everyone. As you can see im new here. Im on other vehicle forums so I know the drill. Do a search first. Ive been doing searches for a few months off and on. Now Ive finally come to that point in time I need to ask the help of those within this niche of the automotive world. No one else can give me an answer. 

The vehicle in question belonged to a Bank President, J.H. Smith. Its listed as Citizens Bank but also as Sterlings Bank in Sterling Kansas. My wife's father bought the Victorian home Mr Smith built in Sterling. The car in question is the only known photo we came upon and its not aged very well. My Smith is driving the car and that is his wife in the back seat. I am hoping Someone could please identify the year, make, and model of the vehicle. This would be a big help and can then be added to the historical record of the house and its original owner. 

11111.jpg

Just now, Hrafn said:

You lost me... 

My post simply notes that his post, directly prior to mine, is correct with his identification of the International Highwheeler, per your initial request.

Sorry if that escaped you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

International High Wheeler. Maybe about a 1908 or so.

IHW.jpg

Thanks that looks like it other than the headlamps. I did a search on the information given and it does look like the photo. 

Unknown.jpeg

1 minute ago, mobileparts said:

Marty & Keiser 31,

I am NOT an authority on the "'oughts" --- but just looking at those two pictures --- very different head lights !!?!?!? 

I imagine someone put different headlamps on one or the other. It was common to do so.

6 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

My post simply notes that his post, directly prior to mine, is correct with his identification of the International Highwheeler, per your initial request.

Sorry if that escaped you.

Mary... yes I just now noticed that. I have a bit of sleep deprivation with only getting three to four hours a night rest while working health care. 

Edited by Hrafn (see edit history)

Just now, Hrafn said:

Mary... yes I just now noticed that. I have a bit of sleep deprivation with three to four hours a night working health care. 

Hrafn - no offense taken,

and the name is Marty (not Mary 😉)-

Blessings for you and so many other health care workers and our first responders, including our son and his bride.

Thankfully, we're able to self-isolate, and have a decent supply of food (and TP), and cars to work on

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

Hrafn - no offense taken,

and the name is Marty (not Mary 😉)-

Blessings for you and so many other health care workers and our first responders, including our son and his bride.

And the Sleep Dep strikes again.... LOL!

I had been looking over the different headlamps used in that time frame. The kerosene, first electric headlamps, and the Kerosene/Electric combos. The first year of the round steering wheel and the time frame of 16 wooden spoke wheels with rubber bands. 

4 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

Marty,

What are you doing awake right now?????

You have to take care of your sweetheart tomorrow ?!?!?!

I will look in on your shocks on the 1954 Caddy --- Rears are easy -- it is a "basic" upper & lower studs shock that a lot of vehicles used ; Fronts are 

1951 - 1954 Caddy Fronts -all - ONLY -- a little less "easy"....

Speak to you, email you, and/or leave a message tomorrow....

Yours, Craig......

My wife and I own a healthcare agency. We care for special needs adults in their own homes. We care for them 24/7. We both very much love that type of work. However with Covid-19 we've experienced employees over reacting and leaving. It has created a shortage in staff and now we must all pull longer hours and drive to different homes in order to cover all 30 of our clients. My wife and I both have several family members who work healthcare. My brother is an ER Doc and his wife is an ER RN. I do not envy either. :) 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. I am glad I found this forum and you all were able to help. I will ask my father n law if he would list this website as a foot note. 

Ive more computer work and then going to try and catch some rest before I am called out. Take care everyone. Wear gloves and any form of facial mask. Just don't touch it would you hands when removing it as you can then cross contaminate any virus on your mask and/or hands. Do not touch your face, eyes, nose, mouth. Wash your hands with hot soapy water over using hand sanitizer. Its a much better option. Ok I am off the soap box and being a parent. Night 

There were International dealers around although many cars were purchased by mail or even a telegraphed order.  Of course there were always travelling salesmen.

International Harvester began as a merger of McCormick Harvester and Deering Harvester along with 3 smaller companies in 1902. The original companies dated back to the 1830s.

They added other kinds of farm machinery, tractors, trucks and cars to their line. Most likely your machine was sold by an International Harvester implement dealer in a farming town or rural area, which meant 90% of the country at that time.

If there was an International dealer in Sterling Kansas in 1908 that is most likely where it was sold.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Rusty_Otool has it right. IHC was everywhere. Acetylene lights were an option. The ones on the front of your original photo are just side lamps. Could have been a local law at the time to have something on the front. This early International Harvester Corporation High wheeler had a two cylinder opposed air cooled engine. These also came in a water cooled version. I've worked on a few. Dandy Dave! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

"Racing" may be a generous term, although the one with the flag is pretty speedy.  NASCAR should take note and implement the chinese fire drill (apologies for non-PC-ness) every lap.  🤣

6 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Thanks for reminding me Bob as I try and get to the high wheeler races. Here are some shots from 2015 and yes they are a hoot. 

2015-10-08 hershey 2015 020.JPG

2015-10-08 hershey 2015 032.JPG

2015-10-08 hershey 2015 022.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1