Vacuum wipers

Buick35

My car has two vacuum operated wiper motors which neither one work.I don't take it out on rainy days and I use rain-ex just in case. I'm wondering if the cost of having them rebuilt at $100 a piece would be worth it and would it add to the value of the car. Not that I'm planning on reselling it.Same goes with my non working clock.Any opinions?Thanks.

If you don't take it out in the rain and don't plan on selling it then I guess there would be no value in fixing the motors.

There used to be a saying if you have to ask the price you can not afford it.

Two hundred dollars seem not very much to spend on a multi thousand collectible car.

OTH  IMHO If you or your heirs were trying to sell it I would take several thousand off when I made an offer because if the obvious doesn't work what else has been neglected.

MY OPINION really is fix it right because if you had an accident in a sudden shower and they wern't working your insurance company would not be very happy.  If your insurance company is not happy I am sure you would not be happy.  If you maimed some one you could lose everything.

BESIDES that driving your car on the road without working wipers is ILLEGAL.

I agree with Tinindian, in that your insurance company could possibly refuse your claim, because of faulty wipers. Or worse you could get a ticket .

Read up on them They are quite simple. And rebuild them your self as therapy during our 14 day quarantine.............

Mike in Colorado

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fixing them might be as simple as putting some neats foot oil into them and letting it sit for a couple days.  At least it's worth a try, and you might save $100. 

You could also for a NOS wiper motor on Ebay.  Several years ago I'd tried to have my motor rebuilt and was told the body was warped, and it could no longer be rebuilt.  Almost immediately I found a NOS one on Ebay for $45, and it runs great.  Last year it had slowed down, so I soaked it in some more neats foot oil.  Now it runs like new again.

Aren't they in the header panel above your windshield of a 1935 Buick?

A lot easier than getting into the dashboard of a 1954 Cadillac - above the Vintage-Air A/C and Wurlitzer-sized wonderbar radio

• Like 1

Yup Marty, there is a pair of them up top, just like my '31 Chrysler.

Which need to come down so I can polish them, during our 14 day quarantine, here in Colorado.

Now where did I put that Semichrome polish ?

Mike in Colorado

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Aren't they in the header panel above your windshield of a 1935 Buick?

A lot easier than getting into the dashboard of a 1954 Cadillac - above the Vintage-Air A/C and Wurlitzer-sized wonderbar radio

Yes they are,Greg.

Handyman,

What's wrong with them ?

Picture shows what looks like a good arm.

Are they stripped at the spline ?

Looks like you need a shift knob too.

Just guessing.

I use an old door knob on my '31 Chrysler.

Epoxied it black and didn't tell anyone. Ooopps.

Mike in Colorado

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

Whats wrong with the arm?

That style tapered spline appeared in the mid 30s on GM and Ford, so various versions and lengths are available from the early Ford vendors, possibly Bobs Automobilia (Buick), California Pontiac Restoration, The Filling Station (Chevrolet) and probably others. The MoPar vendors don't have this stuff?

The blade appears to be the 1930s type that attaches loosely with a hook, and the blade flops over each time the direction reverses. Alternatively you may also be able to get arms that take a later style blade attachment "spoon" that is also a hook, but wide and flat, and on the end of the arm instead of the blade. The available blade lengths will be a little different though.

If the correct length of arm is not available (happened to me), and you are using the 1930s hook style, carefully pry the hook receiver off the end of the blade, shorten it, and crimp it back on.

The wiper blade itself is probably standard.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Buick35: Keep us posted. I use rain-x too and I love it. I also dislike windshield wipers because they scrape up the glass, nevertheless sooner or later you might get caught in a downpour or get splattered with mud from a passing semi truck or something. The one moment you need them you REALLY need them.

As for the clock, if it is a "Borg" electric clock or something similar I wouldn't bother. They are tons of frustration, and even when working right they are a small electrical load that drains the battery flat when the car sits for too long. Allowing this to happen can also screw up the clock, or at least stick it's points. If the clock is a wind-up, I would try to get it fixed.