Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

While looking at a set of dealership photos taken in 1929 I noticed a Fargo Express Panel sitting curbside - Could be a Packet or Clipper, it's hard to tell because the Clipper and Packet bodies were interchangeable and with only 6" in body length difference. While the frame on the 3/4 ton Clipper was more stout, both had options available shown here. 

image.png.1a55f9113fe28bdf72cb02861d228465.png

image.png.2f4689250ec4431315a0bbf2b14423e0.png

image.png.9381eccad39151afe0329eddc7a2d251.png

image.png.411e9fbb78873b0d8638bb160948d528.png

A better view of the emblem

image.png.6006459d2ac3305252fc916d0e7b2e65.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Easy to see why I've always said the 28-32 Dodge and Fargo panels are cousins, not simply because they were both Chrysler products.

Only real noticeable differences besides accessories were emblem, bumpers and hubcaps. Many of the other parts were interechangeable.

Dodge

image.jpeg.78df67acc31828f8e7dab9a97c032364.jpeg

Fargo 

image.png.fe1ea8b1a9f0fba4d7f0073b2247fe83.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 7

23 hours ago, RetroPetro said:

IMG_8919.jpeg

Among the hundreds of photos posted in this thread, this one is one of the rare pictures with actual action we have seen. In general, in this era, imagem captured were posed to the camera. You can see here the car curving left, the man walking, the boy observing…very nice picture!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, West Peterson said:

The hard running on the flats may be the reason Matt is having so many problems with his car.

West……Salt for his wounds? 🤔

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, twin6 said:

A contrast in homes and automobiles.

grey.jpg

unk2.jpg

Unlike cars and homes of today, both required major amounts of upkeep including regular sanding & painting of the wooden clapboard, plus the semi-annual tasks of installing the storm windows in the fall, and either winterizing or putting up the car on blocks until Spring.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Unlike cars and homes of today, both required major amounts of upkeep including regular sanding & painting of the wooden clapboard, plus the semi-annual tasks of installing the storm windows in the fall, and either winterizing or putting up the car on blocks until Spring.

Craig

Back before the turn of the century and after it well into the 1940's homes didn't have storm windows. Most houses had working shutters, and they wouldn't allow the addition of winter added storm windows. Also, very few had central heat thus the need for storm windows was low. With shutters you also couldn't have screens on the outside either. Screens to keep out flies were on the inside of the windows and designed to slide up and down on grooves to facilitate the open and closing of the windows. From the looks of the house in the upper photo, obviously built before the turn of the century, it looks like the only place it had paint on it was at the porch door area up to the porch roof.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wow!  We must live/ have lived in different universes. I am 87 years of age, from  working class family, and don't think I lived in a house built later than the 1930s until I was well into my 50s.   I have YET to live in one with screens on the inside!   Screens and storm windows, if equipped, hung on the same hook.    Paint?  What is that?😁

Ben

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Wow!  We must live/ have lived in different universes. I am 87 years of age, from  working class family, and don't think I lived in a house built later than the 1930s until I was well into my 50s.   I have YET to live in one with screens on the inside!   Screens and storm windows, if equipped, hung on the same hook.    Paint?  What is that?😁

Ben

My, my, I hadn’t realized you were such an EX-pert on old houses. Maybe you should go on TV and explain your vast knowledge. “Old houses according to Bruce” You could give PBS’ This Old House a run for its money.

Let see, 87 years old. Correct me if I’m wrong. You were born in or about 1937. By the time you saw the light of day most all houses with shutters had stopped using them for their purpose and had converted to outside wood constructed storm windows. Some of those were even made with screen inserts so you wouldn’t have to change the whole thing. The main reason for this change was the conversion to central oil heat in the late 30’ early 40’s.

Houses with working shutters could not have outside screens or storm windows because it would prevent the shutters from being closed, since shutters were made to sit into the window frame and latch from the inside.

Since houses were heated with fireplaces, individual coal stoves in rooms or even central coal fired heat there was no need for storm windows or even insulation in the walls. However, there was a need for screens, thus the design of inside screens.

By the time you were born most all of the inside screens had been thrown away and the copper screen sent to the metal drives for the war and the whole thing forgot about.

If I have a chance later in the day, I’ll further your limited knowledge with a photo of inside screens.

Remember the old saying! "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

• Like 2