Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

The info with this one says - "It's movie making time in Fillmore, California in 1924, and the young Cowboy Star Tom Mix had traded his horse for a Stutz Phaeton. The man on the motorcycle is the real town Marshall."

I have an idea it is a publicity shot rather than part of the movie.

Tom Mix Stutz.jpg

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

It is a circa 1914 Willys-Overland, an adaptation of the front half of an Overland car with a truck rear half, designed by Gramm.

Gramm-Bernstein Company - Wikipedia

I knew the guy who restored this one, now in the Richardson collection in Invercargill, New Zealand.

n735hu_cu27_l.jpg

Some ads here - 

1914-Willys-Utility-Truck-2-1205x1536.jpg

1914-Willys-Utility-Truck-600x783.jpg

This one was in Geelong, Australia - 

1b316848adc963de00f261d332a985ba.jpg

Some more detailed information from the UK publication Commercial Motor in 1914 - A One-ton Chain-driven "Truck." | 12th February 1914 | The Commercial Motor Archive

I tidied the original photo a little - 

IMG_3317.jpeg.386826ddb5b2f77cd5d7a6013643fd22.jpeg

wow !

Thank you very much

l can’t wait to show this to my 90 year old mother.

At 13 years old,Mom’s first job was at the cannery. She sliced peaches all day and still has the knife she used.

John

8 hours ago, JohnS25 said:

Picture of a picture I saw at the Oakboro NC local history museum.

I believe it’s a 1922 or 23 Hudson.
IMG_2734.jpeg.2fb3f7aa390176f2de9f701d8e4df624.jpeg

It is earlier than 1922. Drum style headlights were introduced in 1922. Also the bevel at the top of the door indicates pre 1922. Zeke

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, zeke01 said:

It is earlier than 1922. Drum style headlights were introduced in 1922. Also the bevel at the top of the door indicates pre 1922. Zeke

Thanks for the correction.

I didn’t notice the headlights

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JRA said:

image.png.f7fc6bd2492ec41b0f957a0036ce1500.pngRio de Janeiro Light & Power, utility company garage.

Interesting photo.  It appears the Rio de Janeiro PUC also rebuilt transit bus bodies as well.

Craig

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Interesting photo.  It appears the Rio de Janeiro PUC also rebuilt transit bus bodies as well.

Craig

It was a Canadian owned company in the early 20th century. In addition to electricity, they also offered gas distribution, telephone and transportation services in the city (streetcars and buses). Its correct name was “Rio de Janeiro Tramway, Light and Power Company“.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JRA said:

It was a Canadian owned company in the early 20th century. In addition to electricity, they also offered gas distribution, telephone and transportation services in the city (streetcars and buses). Its correct name was “Rio de Janeiro Tramway, Light and Power Company“.

Us Canadians kept you guys busy at one time!!

Craig

21 minutes ago, alsancle said:

They only made one of these with the V12. Last I knew it was in the Rich collection.

Lots of Rio de Janeiro photos!

On 2/7/2024 at 7:11 PM, alsancle said:

image.jpeg.05d4bd6c15bbbd52c5c9547f75b5793f.jpeg

That's the British Auto Club (it may have been before it became the RAC) moving a brigade of Guards,  think from London to Brighton, around 1904. It was done as something of a publicity stunt to show that the motor car had potential war-time application. Of course, by the time WWI erupted that was a forgone conclusion but in 1903/04 is was revolutionary.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

That's the British Auto Club (it may have been before it became the RAC) moving a brigade of Guards, think from London to Brighton, around 1904. It was done as something of a publicity stunt to show that the motor car had potential war-time application. Of course, by the time WWI erupted that was a forgone conclusion but in 1903/04 is was revolutionary.

That plate is a London (UK) registration from 1906. I am still working on the identity of the car.

aaca p579.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nzcarnerd said:

That plate is a London (UK) registration from 1906. I am still working on the identity of the car.

aaca p579.jpeg

Good catch...I was wrong about the date. It was 1909. You sent me looking for the book I saw the reference in. They traveled from London to Hastings. It was organized by the AA. All the heavy gear was carried in taxi cabs operated by the brothers of Arthur DuCros, the early motorist and MP for Hastings.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JRA said:

image.png.6432b21de21b0587895319cf6c286e34.pngThe Carnival week starts today in Brazil !!!

Nice, do you have any photos of Bahia?

The information with this one says it is a New York Times photo from Brazil in 1926. If the date is 1926 then the car is likely to be about ten or more years old there. 

I haven't yet identified the car but the ten spoke front wheels and the manner of the hub bolts etc on the rear have to be clues.

fb pre 80s NYT photo Brazil 26.jpg

• Like 2