Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1925 California Plates, Whitewalls, a well dressed Nita Nelda, grumpy chauffer and a cobra hood ornament.  and whitewalls!  On the 1982 Pacific Northwest Caravan, singer Sergio Franchi drove another Isotta, and he explained how to say Isotta Fraschini -  "Eeezota Fraskeeny"  More Isotta next time.

1925IsottaFraschini.jpg

• Like 4

Definitely thinking these Chryslers look better without the whitewalls.

Am I the only one who wonders if other owners of the era looked at them as we look at huge gaudy rims today with destain or were they looked at with respect and class? I can't help but wonder after seeing this photo.

image.png.9694878dde2c4c38abe784231c7b7062.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 3

the I-F town car most likely has a body by Fleetwood. The import agent for I=F was located in NY City and chassis ( usually with lamps, fenders, etc) were imported in the holds of steam ships . Came from Italy that way as it saved a large import tax. I-F in NY had a understanding with Fleetwood to build bodies for them . The Rudolph Valentino I-F had a Feetwood body and even a sales catalog was printed here in the USA for the imported I-F showing cars with bodies manufactured in the USA.   over 50 years ago I had some extensive conversations with a great fellow who worked for Isotta Fraschini at their NY headquarters - Joe Gaeta of Port Washington, NY .  He was amazed that a young guy even knew what a I-F was and at the questions I had that he could answer about where he worked 40 years earlier. This would make yet another good story.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

The import agent for I=F was located in NY City and chassis ( usually with lamps, fenders, etc) were imported in the holds of steam ships . Came from Italy that way as it saved a large import tax. I-F in NY had a understanding with Fleetwood to build bodies for them . The Rudolph Valentino I-F had a Feetwood body and even a sales catalog was printed here in the USA for the imported I-F showing cars with bodies manufactured in the USA.

It would be interesting to know how Canadian sales were handled.

Craig

Craig, If a car was purchased in Europe by someone who lived here ( I am talking USA) then different paperwork was filled out rather then like I described the European car was ordered here in the USA via a agent selling that particular car on this side of the pond. Both Fiat and RR had plants to build cars here in the USA thus avoiding some tax as mentioned. Not sure about Canada. If there was an I-F dealer in Canada I am sure he had to do much of the negotiation for a car via the NY agent. Quite possible ( educated guess on my part here no documentation on period paperwork) all North American sales somehow involved the NY agent/representative.  This was not a high volume sales car.

Walt

11 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Definitely thinking these Chryslers look better without the whitewalls.

Am I the only one who wonders if other owners of the era looked at them as we look at huge gaudy rims today with destain or were they looked at with respect and class? I can't help but wonder after seeing this photo.

image.png.9694878dde2c4c38abe784231c7b7062.png

I must be one of the few who likes white walls                 John

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 41 Su8 said:

I must be one of the few who likes white walls                 John

I like them too, but only on certain vehicles for some reason, I really can't put my finger on why though.

Yes - has the ultimate classy look

Shine On With A 1999 Duesenberg II Torpedo Phaeton | Motorious

No - looks cheezy

I know it's contradictory...

Whitewall Tires 101: How They’re Made and Why They’re Cool - Hot Rod Network

Sorry for the thread drift guys...

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

The more colors you see on the car the more your eyes are distracted from the design of the car.

Chrome wires with white wall Tires means you’re using up three colors on just the wheels.  Chrome, white, black.

Whitewalls can be ok on high end cars painted in a single color.   

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Walt G said:

Craig, If a car was purchased in Europe by someone who lived here ( I am talking USA) then different paperwork was filled out rather then like I described the European car was ordered here in the USA via a agent selling that particular car on this side of the pond. Both Fiat and RR had plants to build cars here in the USA thus avoiding some tax as mentioned. Not sure about Canada. If there was an I-F dealer in Canada I am sure he had to do much of the negotiation for a car via the NY agent. Quite possible ( educated guess on my part here no documentation on period paperwork) all North American sales somehow involved the NY agent/representative.  This was not a high volume sales car.

English cars were imported duty-free to Canada, being part of the British Commonwealth, and had UK-supplied bodies, though it would be interesting to know just how many Springfield body Rolls-Royces were sold in Canada.  As for Continental European cars, duty would have had to been paid on them.  That is the mystery I'd like to see solved.  One did purchase an Argyll, Darracq, or a Sheffield-Simplex through a Washington, D.C. importer as per page 10 here:   The Toronto World - Google News Archive Search

Craig

• Like 1

It depends upon the make, I agree that Canada being part of the commonwealth could play a big part in the cost but the car under discussion is an I-F from Italy. 

the same applied if a car went to England - if it was Canadian built then the duty/tax was much less then if the car was built in the USA. Buicks in England were very popular and Chrysler had a plant in Kew , west of London. Many buildings in Kew were still there as of 20 years ago. Plymouth cars here were "rebadged" and became Chryslers in the UK most often and were shown in the sales literature I have that was printed there.

Ok here's some more Isotta Fraschini - This time a very unusual LeBaron "Surrey".  The Picture of the car and the drawing look really close.    Re the previous picture -  Rudolph Valentino had 2 Isottas - the town car, a Fleetwood body, and a convertible coupe.  Here's a pic of the Valentino I-F town car from the estate sale catalog also. Catalog states Fleetwood.

1929IsottaDrawing.jpg

1929IsottaSurrey.jpg

1925IsottaValentinoEstate.jpg

Edited by HK500 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/2/2023 at 7:44 PM, HK500 said:

The Berry Motor Company, Packard Dealer, St. Louis, MO, circa 1932.  Three Dietrich individual Customs in stock, and not a customer in sight!

On 7/2/2023 at 7:44 PM, HK500 said:

The Berry Motor Company, Packard Dealer, St. Louis, MO, circa 1932.  Three Dietrich individual Customs in stock, and not a customer in sight!

1932BerryMotorCoPackard.jpg

1932 was the worst year of the depression.

Capt. Harley😉

"Skirts are for Women and not Car Fenders"

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 6:49 PM, 30DodgePanel said:

I like them too, but only on certain vehicles for some reason, I really can't put my finger on why though.

Yes - has the ultimate classy look

Shine On With A 1999 Duesenberg II Torpedo Phaeton | Motorious

No - looks cheezy

I know it's contradictory...

Whitewall Tires 101: How They’re Made and Why They’re Cool - Hot Rod Network

Sorry for the thread drift guys...

Please don't let me offend you but here are the sins with the "Duesenberg":

1.  It is a replica.    The Duesenberg II is ok for what it is - fiberglass body on an F150 chassis, but it is not a real Duesenberg.   The wheels are the wrong size and give it away at a distance.Pi

2.  The Lalique hood ornament.   About the biggest sin I can think of with a prewar car.

3.  Chrome wires with whitewalls.  I already talked about why that is a faux paux (3 colors on just the wheels).

4.  Red chassis and under fenders.  

5.  Pilot Rays

6.  Spot lights

7.  Sidemount mirrors.

If that picture was taken in the ACD museum that is a shame.  Most people will mistake it for a real car.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Please don't let me offend you but here are the sins with the "Duesenberg":

1.  It is a replica.    The Duesenberg II is ok for what it is - fiberglass body on an F150 chassis, but it is not a real Duesenberg.   The wheels are the wrong size and give it away at a distance.Pi

2.  The Lalique hood ornament.   About the biggest sin I can think of with a prewar car.

3.  Chrome wires with whitewalls.  I already talked about why that is a faux paux (3 colors on just the wheels).

4.  Red chassis and under fenders.  

5.  Pilot Rays

6.  Spot lights

7.  Sidemount mirrors.

If that picture was taken in the ACD museum that is a shame.  Most people will mistake it for a real car.

No offense taken. It was only a sample photo to explain my view on whitewalls. 

A late 1920s Willys-Knight in Kumara on the west coast of New Zealand's South Island. The registration plate dates the photo to 1935-36.

EDIT - 17 July - I think this one is a 1925 four cylinder model due to it having the crank hole through the bottom of the radiator shell.

May be a black-and-white image of 1 person, car and text

• Like 3