Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

29 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Bob does that building still exist? really neat structure

Yes, still in the same family. Years ago I got one of the Shell shaped gas pump globes from the owner, and had it on a shelf for years. Several years ago I needed to fund something and sold it back to his son who collects signs and globes. Felt good knowing it was back home again. This is the street side Route 7, and it still looks about the same today, the stone masons really knew their trade.  

882609_524571187587521_2047446511_o.jpg

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

A touring car in Norway which I think is a Haynes from circa 1923-24. Looking at pics on the net I couldn't get an exact match for the cowl lamp placing and the windshield pillars, but it appears Haynes did several different models. My book says they built their own engines. I wonder if they had a foundry or perhaps they got one of the engine makers to do their castings. 

Kan være et bilde av 3 personer, folk som står og tekst som sier 'HOTEL OL VANG T-2484'

• Like 3

On 9/13/2022 at 4:11 PM, Grimy said:

1910 or newer because of the aprons between frame and runningboard.  Thanks for fixing the "flipped negative"--Pieces were RHD through 1920 and became LHD only with the series 32 of 1921.  I'd call this a 48 due to hood height and wheelbase--latter was 134.5" on 48s 1910-1912.  Could be a "California top" due to huge greenhouse.  My so-called expertise really begins with Series 4 in 1916.

Update:  My friend Bill S, who has had a 1915 38-C-3 for decades and is very knowledgeable of earlier Pierces, advised that the car in question is a 1912 48 with an optional removable top.  Bill reports that he has a factory photo of a C-3 [i.e., 1915] with a similar top, and he believes that such tops were supplied by a specialty house or firms like Quinby, Demarest or possibly Holbrook.

Bill frequents these forums but cannot find his password at the moment so passed this info to me to post on his behalf.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2022 at 10:24 AM, twin6 said:

YMCA.jpg

Is it just me or is the drivers side door completely sealed off from exiting the vehicle on that side (no handle, seam or hinge)? Even though the gent seated on the running board hides the front section of the door, one would think a hinge would be just above his head... I guess it would make sense since most exited from the passenger side in that era and being it's for the YMCA my guess is it may have been specifically designed to keep the young ones away from the on coming traffic intentionally. 

Neat photo, it would be interesting to learn more about it's history.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Something I had not heard of until now -

"On September 16, 1920, as hundreds of Wall Street workers headed out for lunch, a horse-drawn cart packed with dynamite exploded in front of Morgan Bank — the world’s most powerful banking institution. The blast turned the nation’s financial center into a bloody war zone and left 38 dead and hundreds more seriously injured. As financial institutions around the country went on high alert, many wondered if this was the strike against American capitalism that radical agitators had threatened for so long. A mostly forgotten act of terror that remains unsolved today, the bombing helped launch the career of a young J. Edgar Hoover and sparked a bitter national debate about how far the government should go to protect the nation from acts of political violence."

May be an image of 6 people, people standing and outdoors

dureya.jpg

Frank Duryea at the wheel of his automobile, 1893. 
In 1895, the Chicago Times-Herald, inspired by the Paris-Rouen Automobile Race, decided they could sell a lot more papers if they too organized and ran an automobile race. They promoted the 14.5 mile Chicago-Evanston race for Thanksgiving Day, 1895. There were ninety five entrants but only six cars showed up on race day, three Benzs, two electrics, and the Duryea. The Duryea ran away with the race, at the eyewatering speed of 6.66 mph.

• Like 1

That is the 1895 Duryea. The 1893 car was much more primitive.

The entire story of the race is quite interesting! Charles B King, who later beat Henry Ford for the first to build and drive an automobile on the streets of Detroit, had entered the Times-Herald race, but failed to have his car ready in time for it. A lot of early experimenters also failed to be ready. The race was postponed for a couple months while entrants tried to finish their horseless carriages. Finally, being run ready or not on Thanksgiving day 1895 because the organizers did not want to postpone the race until the following year! Charles B King ended up in the race, in another car (I believe it was the Benz!). I have read conflicting accounts, however, somehow he wound up driving the Benz to finish the race! The Benz was the only car other than the Duryea to complete the race. The cold and snow was a major factor in other starters not completing the run.

Charles B King and Henry Ford were friends, and helped each other solving problems as they built their separate cars. Henry Ford rode a bicycle following Charles King on his first test drive about three months before henry's Quadricycle was ready for its first test drive.

Following the race, the Duryea brothers manufactured (5, 6, or 7 depending on what source you read?) additional cars and sold them. They are considered to be the first gasoline "automobiles" (quoted because they weren't called that yet in this country!) manufactured in America. The additional cars looked nearly identical to the original 1895 car.

The Duryea brothers took one of the cars to England (in 1896 if I recall correctly?), and raced it there. Another of the manufactured cars wound up in the circus!

• Like 1

The exhaust whistle on the Thomas touring car ( great photo) was made by Gabriel, and is of some substantial size. I have one in my collection and think I posted a photo of it on here some time ago. Really neat accessory for cars of that era that no one even knows about now. Can you imagine an exhaust whistle on a new car?

If any of you have never heard one in operation that is fitted to a brass era car , when you do it will be something that you never will forget - LOUD!!! I can't imagine how a poor horse would have reacted if it had to experience one on the road .  Much more noise then a brass bulb horn the went/sounded like  "frump" when used.

10 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

I don't recall seeing these posted yet. 

image.png.56c38556bdb2b97fec8ab99f80cec56b.png

view

I remember someone turning up at a local event many years ago with one of those early Duryeas, though it was the open "trap' model. I do recall that all of its controls were on the steering tiller, achieved by various twists and turns and pulling and pushing it. Unfortunately I didn't get a photo, and I don't know what has subsequently happened to the car.

Philadelphia library image - 

See the source image

• Like 1

"The first car at Waiho, 18th July,1911.

The crew of Reo roadster, photographed at Batson`s Hotel is; driver Bill Renton, his brother Paul, and in the dickie seat, Austin Hayman, the mechanic.

The 92 miles of rough road and riverbed were covered in 11 hours and 30 minutes, of which 6 hours and 30 minutes were driving time. The car was towed through all rivers except the Whataroa river, and each time the magneto was unbolted and carried across inside. 

Frequent punctures led the team to reduce the high-pressure tyres from 60 pounds to 20 pounds per square inch."

Waiho is one of the more remote parts of New Zealand, not far from the internationally known Franz Josef Glacier. Due to its geography, a narrow coastal strip with mountains only a short distance from the sea means that part of the country experiences very high rainfall. Of course, in the southern hemisphere July is mid-winter.

113311-max

• Like 4

By US standards this is a Pre WWII photo as the registration plate on the car is 1940-41. 

A 1929 Studebaker FE President with, I presume, quite a few hard miles under its belt as it was working as a service car.

"Man standing beside a car near the shop belonging to Thomas Edward Haines in Queenstown, 1940s, William H Tinson.

Auckland Libraries Heritage Collections 1714-R014-09"

May be a black-and-white image of 1 person, car and outdoors

• Like 4

Austin Clark had an Alco truck cab over engine similar to this one but a bit smaller in size. He sold it and it got restored by a guy here on long island and now lives ( last I was aware of) in Europe. GREAT PHOTO!!!!  Can you imagine that bulb horn at the side of the seat making enough noise to warn what was in front of the truck to get out of the way?