Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

43 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Great photo great car. I love to observe what is in the photos - the car has one horn, not a pair, cloth tire covers, color of car is one - not two tone, same all over color, no stone guard, and notice most of the men observing the parade have hats they are wearing. few beards. Signs of the times. Wonder what the town was in Illinois and if many of the buildings still look the same except of course for updated more efficient windows . Are those trolley tracks in the road , or street car tracks? ( ok what is a trolley and wheat is a street cars some of you may question) Also the road is paved in bricks! 

Never been anywhere that had street cars except people calling a trolley that. I grew up in Boston and we had trolleys with tracks set in cobble bricks (not flat bricks). Slippery as hell when wet. We also had what we called trackless trolleys. They were electric busses with double overhead trolleys.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hook said:

Never been anywhere that had street cars except people calling a trolley that. I grew up in Boston and we had trolleys with tracks set in cobble bricks (not flat bricks). Slippery as hell when wet. We also had what we called trackless trolleys. They were electric busses with double overhead trolleys.

Also Walt, those tracks look like their filled in and it seams like there would be more poles around if there were trolleys.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Are those trolley tracks in the road , or street car tracks?

Most likely streetcar tracks.   

There would be power poles on both sides of the street to support the overhead wires, not to mention, there's no electrified third rail.  The freestanding traffic light at the intersection appears to have underground electrical service.

Craig

22 minutes ago, twin6 said:

Imagine trying to operate a car with curtains like these?  And no dehumidifier...

curtains.jpg

Drive by braille method! I like his spare tire/tires mounting. Looks like they're tied to the seat. As far as a dehumidifier is concerned, it's probably very dry and very cold weather. 

43 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

Back when respect for the police was common.  What year Pierce-Arrow is it?

35c81350-historic-photos-728x576.jpg

1919-1920 Series 51 (48 nominal hp, dual valve, 525 cid 6-cylinder).  1919-1920 lacked the cast-in cowl lights and (not visible) hood-top vents.  Radiator top taller than top of headlights indicates larger than Series 31 (38 nominal hp), and Series 66 was not available those years.  This is a famous photograph and was actually staged after an impromptu same-scene began to occur.

• Thanks 1

The greatest number of miles of electrified light-rail trolley/streetcars and interurbans occurred in the WWI years 1915-1917.   With the rise of the ubiquitous privately-owned passenger cars, the ridership diminished quite quickly.  Privately-owned companies responsible for maintenance of equipment and right-of-way rapidly found themselves badly underfinanced and operating in the red.    The rising availability of transit buses, with their greater flexibility were the practical solution to continuing public transit needs.    Towns and cities simply left the rails in place, filled in gaps and eventually paved over everything, leaving the rails as part of the roadway base.

The last run of the electric trolley buses in Boston was Mar. 12, 2022.  They will be replaced by diesel hybrids until battery-operated buses get delivered.  But, I suspect the diesel hybrids may run for many years. 

Regarding this '33 Buick.  If General Motors, Buick division still produced this car at a reasonable modern automobile price, having modern automotive and safety equipment, would you buy this car and use it as a daily driver?

Buick.jpg.58b5bb77c7ef74477bd99c00d25f0eff.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Regarding this '33 Buick.  If General Motors, Buick division still produced this car at a reasonable modern automobile price, having modern automotive and safety equipment, would you buy this car and use it as a daily driver?

Buick.jpg.58b5bb77c7ef74477bd99c00d25f0eff.jpg

I guess it would have to be able to to better than 10mpg.

• Haha 1

Not such an old photo but just a snap from 1971 that illustrates three lines of thinking about where the engine should be and which wheels it should drive. On the left the most conventional, a front engine rear drive, Ford Falcon, in this case an Australian-built though likely NZ assembled, Model XY from 1971. (Even though the Falcon came to an end in the USA in 1970 it remained in production in various forms in Australia until 2016). The middle car is a, rear engine rear wheel drive, Fiat 850 coupe, a model that had a brief period of popularity in NZ until the Japanese cars became more established on the market. (It was even locally assembled for a short time around 1969). On the right is an Austin/Morris 1800, known locally as the Landcrab due to it being wider and lower than many cars of its time. . A big brother to the Mini, it was powered by the BMC B series engine, as used in the MGB, mounted transversely in the front driving the front wheels. It was well regarded for its roominess and good ride.

275975460_1393237171112411_8234347107926679801_n.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/17/2022 at 3:53 PM, Grimy said:

1919-1920 Series 51 (48 nominal hp, dual valve, 525 cid 6-cylinder).  1919-1920 lacked the cast-in cowl lights and (not visible) hood-top vents.  Radiator top taller than top of headlights indicates larger than Series 31 (38 nominal hp), and Series 66 was not available those years.  This is a famous photograph and was actually staged after an impromptu same-scene began to occur.

That seems late for right hand steering. Must be made for foreign sales. 

On 3/17/2022 at 5:02 PM, Gary_Ash said:

The last run of the electric trolley buses in Boston was Mar. 12, 2022.  They will be replaced by diesel hybrids until battery-operated buses get delivered.  But, I suspect the diesel hybrids may run for many years. 

Yes, in Boston we had all kinds of public transportation. I started life there in 1945 and left in 1959. Boston had: Elevated and below ground subway system, Street level and underground trolleys, Street level electric busses with overhead dual trolleys, and Diesel busses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hook said:

That seems late for right hand steering. Must be made for foreign sales. 

Nope, 1920 was Pierce's last year for right hand steering.  I think they wanted to get a few more years out of the older engine-remote transmission layout.  The hand brake and transmission controls were concentric tubes.  Much of that was the influence of the crotchety old Scotsman Chief Engineer David Fergusson who didn't want to modernize anything.  For 1921, Pierce reverted to one engine (same displacement as the previous dual valve Series 31 of 1919-20 but cast into a single block rather than pairs), with an integral (bolted to engine as we now consider normal) transmission, and left hand steering.  The 1921 model year also changed from *cast* aluminum body panels to sheet aluminum over an ash frame.

Stutz didn't convert to left hand steering until mid-1922.

Edited by Grimy
added info on Stutz (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Two images that were in the collection/archives of the late great historian Michael Sedgwick of Midhurst, Sussex, England. I was able to help a friend who was in charge of selling off Michael's library/archives after he passed away when I visited England and was able to purchase some important pre war material that is now part of my library. Michael's library/study was in the top eves of an attic of a multi story 100+ year old building near where he lived that you reached by climbing a set of narrow stairs.

Pictured here are: a "1932 Panhard 6 cylinder sport coupe  recently discovered in Britian's Midlands. Note the old style Royal Automobile Club badge on the radiator cap"  That typed entry that was pasted to the back of the photo was done by Michael sometime in the early 1960s or perhaps the mid to late 1950s.

Also pictured here is a 1914 Delauany Belleville 6 cylinder K.M. or O series , probably the last. taken when the car was new - note that there are two spare tires on both front fenders! For a total of 4 spares! I love the lens in the head and side lights ! The body style is a chauffeur driven limousine with a roof rack . Michael and I for decades via mail would exchange notes, information and photographs . We became friends via the Society of Automotive Historians.

Panhard6CS 1932.jpg

Delau neyBellville1914.jpg

• Like 6

13 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

There has been discussion somewhere on this forum about White trucks recently - can't recall where.  This photo was posted a short time ago on a French fb page.  No info on the photo origin though, or year and model.

sag Xav Beslant White lifter.jpg

Could this be Ed's latest White acquisition?  How come you didn't tell us Ed, my friend? Curious collectors want to know!!

Is the wood being loaded for a trip to the left coast so a cabin can be constructed to reside in for the Pebble by the sea event of the elite?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2