Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Spill it Ed, don't keep us in suspense!

Back in September of 1971, the car was listed for sale in  Hemmings, along with a PII and another Pierce........a 1931 Model 42 D/C. The location..........three miles from my boyhood home in Ludlow Mass. The 1930 Dietrich was purchased by a Pierce Arrow Society President from Dallas Texas........the car next to it, the Series 42 was purchased by my father while I was with him at the age of 5 1/2. I clearly remember the day, and about twenty years later became friends with the owner I had met that day as a little boy. The next month I went  to my first Hershey Fall Meet.  The car currently is owned by a gentleman who is doing a total frame off resurrection of the very rough car. Last I knew it was in paint and waiting for upholstery. It’s still in Texas. Interestingly, the seller of all three cars is 99 years old, still doing well, and has the same Model T and 1931 Cadillac V-12 touring that I also saw that day; and he was driving them as of two years ago.. Several weeks later, we went back and bought a 1930 Pierce Series B sedan.......a running and driving original car we bought for parts. Later we sold the parted out car where it changed hands twice over thirty years, and now is a 100 point car on Long Island. Fun memories from fifty years ago. 

Sale Prices at the time........we’re VERY High.........

1930 Pierce Dietrich was 5500.00 for a basket case.

1931 Series 42 D/C 7500.00 solid and complete but partially disassembled.

1930 Pierce Series B nice driving barn find 1200.00

In 1986 I sold a set of very rare wheels that came with our Series 42 for 10k, thus paying for the entire car and and additional 33 percent of the sales price 15 years later. 

I still have the Series 42 D/C today.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Renowned for craftsmanship, Pierce-Arrow couldn't survive the ...

1935 Pierce Arrow factory silver arrow......8. Body code Y. Rare and unusual, this car or one of only a very few handful built (6?) that year was sent to the crusher in West Springfield Mass in 1966. 

Modern photo but related to the story I just posted above. While looking for Pierce Arrow cars in 1971 & 1972 we looked at two cars in a trucking repair yard along the Massachusetts Turnpike in Chicopee Mass. There under tarps were two cars a 1932 Pierce Arrow Series 54 Sport Coupe..........purchased out of a junkyard in 1952 and left outside for about 20 years total from thr looks of it, and a 1932 Pierce Series 54 Club Broughm that was very, very rough. This was around June of 1972. Some 40 years later I would see an ad in Hemmings for a 1932 Coupe for sale in the Boston area in October 2009. I took off and quickly made a purchase of a car that I was not looking to purchase four hours earlier.......I was trying to buy a 1904 Knox at the time. Anyways, the Pierce was purchased, and only after going through the paperwork that came with the car did I realize from photos taken in 1972 it was the car my father and I looked at all the years before. 

C6080A7D-44CD-43B3-900A-3407C6212BE6.jpeg

• Like 5

On 6/3/2020 at 7:14 PM, twin6 said:

T22 (1).jpg

T22 (2).jpg

I feel a bit intimidiating to post anything to this thread, so many movie stars with their classic cars!

However, in the pre-Hollywood times German and Danish melodramas ruled the silver screen. In 1917 early movie star Valdemar Psilander was drivning a three year old Bug with similar Yankee clover-leaf body by Durr as above, with Copenhagen issued licence plate K 40 in the film Kaerlighedes-Vaeddmaalet:

www.bugattibuilder.com/photo/displayimage.php?pos=-38098

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 6/3/2020 at 8:53 PM, John_Mereness said:

1939 Lincoln Zephyr Convertible Sedan

This photo shows the French General Maxime Waygand (1867-1965) arriving at an army conference in a 1939 Lincoln-Zephyr Convertible Sedan. By early 1940  the military disaster in France  after the German invasion was such that the Supreme Commander, Maurice Gamelin was dismissed and replaced by Waygand who was recalled from service in Syria. Waygand arrived on 17 May 1940 and did his best to organise a counter-offensive but it was too late. The licence plate "TL" is a French Army issue for Levant, Syria and Lebannon so it is probable that Waygand brought the car from Syria with him or this photo was taken in Syria. It is difficult to imagine that the French Army would purchase a gleaming new Lincoln convertible with white wall tires so perhaps it was Waygand's personal car. 

IMG_0011.JPG

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Casper Friederich said:

I feel a bit intimidiating to post anything to this thread, so many movie stars with their classic cars!

However, in the pre-Hollywood times German and Danish melodramas ruled the silver screen. In 1917 film star Valdemar Psilander was drivning a three year old Bug with similar Yankee clover-leaf body by Durr with Copenhagen issued licence plate K 40 in the film Kaerlighedes-Vaeddmaalet:

www.bugattibuilder.com/photo/displayimage.php?pos=-38098

Great post - please post anything you have and it is great to have the perspective from those in other Countries. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, edinmass said:

This car ended up in a junk yard in New Jersey in 1946. It was cut up, and the engine was installed in a boat.

There was a lot of that stuff that survived the war to meet a bad deaths thereafter - perhaps from a lack of knowing where to get parts, just worn out as that was all they had through war, outdated, or ....  

My Grandmother had unlimited use of a car via her job at Wright Patterson Air Force Base, plus my grandfather's job running a second shift at a machine tool and die (he needed picked up after bus and street car hours) - they had a 1939 Buick 90 Business Coupe (a custom order) - my grandmother said there was nothing left of it after it had continual use, sat out in a parking lot during day, and ... By the way, the topic usually came up via Mom or Aunts/Uncles talking about driving with their mom who always had her pistol on the front seat (a championship/prize winning shooter too) - grandmother said it was not safe driving around and especially at night (said the sticker on car was as much a blessing as a curse as it meant car had the possibility of having a full tank of gas)

• Like 1

A 1936 Pierce-Arrow Eight convertible sedan that belonged to a Mr. Zappone from Buffalo, N.Y. was among my early education in those cars.  He displayed it at many of the shows in the 1970's and 1980's then, one of the few late Pierce-Arrows we in the area had the pleasure to see in the metal.   

'36 Pierce-Arrow Twelve convertible sedan.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A 1936 Pierce-Arrow Eight convertible sedan that belonged to a Mr. Zappone from Buffalo, N.Y. was among my early education in those cars.  He displayed it at many of the shows in the 1970's and 1980's then, one of the few late Pierce-Arrows we in the area had the pleasure to see in the metal.   

'36 Pierce-Arrow Twelve convertible sedan.jpg

Wow.....MR. Zappone. I won’t post here what we call him. He still has the car 55 years after buying it. We did the engine and transmission for him about fifteen years ago. It runs and drives great. There is one late series V-12 convertible sedan that had been disassembled for thirty years and sold as a basket case. Ten years ago it was reassemble but nothing else was done to it. Recently the long term owner passed, and the car has changed hands, I expect we will see it on the show circuit in the future. 

Here is a current photo of Tony’s car. He’s a good guy, and we go back forty years as friends........makes me feel old!

B80BC5FD-97C8-480E-9B23-AA67B621BB04.png

• Like 3