Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1 minute ago, John_Mereness said:

1932 Nash Twin Ignition Eight Sedan Conv Factory Photo ad4396-D85HDO

What is this car? Looks like a factory photo or showroom photo, with the dual pilot rays on it.

1928 Packard all-weather.

"Packard.  The ingenuity of the modern designer is well demonstrated in this versatile all-weather model which can be converted at will into an inside drive limousine, an open front brougham, or the familiar seven passenger sedan."

28 Packard all-weather Brougham-Limo Clymer Scrapbook Nr5 p179.JPG

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 11:39 AM, LCK81403 said:

What is wrong with this picture?  A Moon automobile, a person celebrating while sitting on the hood, said person wearing metal cleats in baseball shoes, the metal cleats are on the painted fenders.  I don't know, there's just something about this photo that appears to be wrong.

Hi LCK,

The woman on the Moon is actress Clara Bow. Realistically it isn't a good idea to do what she is doing. It's a real but staged picture.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 5:55 PM, John_Mereness said:

Gary Cooper & Henry Austin Clark Jr. with a SimplexImage may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people sitting

Gary Cooper Characters: Dr. Joseph 'Doc' Frail Film: The Hanging ... 

Gary Cooper lived on the east end of long island in his later years with his wife. Being a car guy Cooper would go to Austin's car museum and they would drive around in the Simplex and a Mercer raceabout that Austin owned and the town of Southampton tolerated it to a good extent, (most of the time) according to Austin. After Cooper died he was buried in a cemetery about a five minute walk east of the L.I. Auto Museum - no grave marker just a large bolder to mark the spot in the cemetery. When Austin  would have an "Iron Range Day" in the Spring and Fall each year once or several times ( you were told about it  by invitation - a phone call - invited to come out and look through the museum and out buildings for parts to purchase, I remember helping Austin make phone calls to people at about it to let them know it was happening - sometimes only at about 8pm the night before! ) we would all pile in Austin's 2 cylinder Autocar bus ( 1920) to go out to lunch at John Ducks restaurant.  Austin would drive that bus flat out ( at about 15-20 mph) to and from the restaurant full of grubby old car guys . On the way back Austin would make a detour into the cemetery and stop in front of Gary Coopers grave site so we could all pay our respect. Other people who were at the cemetery to pay their respects to assorted relatives couldn't figure out what, who we were . We did this every time without fail. Why do I remember all this 45+ years later???  Most of the people reading this now probably weren't even born yet or if they were hadn't ridden in a car with running boards yet.  Lots of stories about "Iron Range Days"  I have fond  memories of  and the comments and conversations at the bar at John Ducks and during lunch .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

'28 Packard all-weather

"The ingenuity of the modern designer is well demonstrated in this versatile all-weather model which can be converted at will into an inside drive limousine, an open front brougham, or the familiar seven passenger sedan."

28 Packard all-weather Brougham-Limo Clymer Scrapbook Nr5 p179.JPG

Just now, LCK81403 said:

'31 Rolls-Royce

31 Rolls-Royce Newmarket Clymer Scrapbook Nr5 p187.JPG

Anyone looking for one of these - I have access to a particularly nice one of these exact body style RRPI for sale (very nice restoration, newer cylinder head, a good driver - road car, attractive colors, has not been seen public-ally for many years and ripe to show immediately, and ... matched to being particularly good looking.  

Owner was thinking 170's -180's in price.

The '28 Marmon.  This model is called a "four-passenger speedster".  It looks like an standard "touring car" and wonder about the term "speedster" in this case.

28 Marmon 4 passenger speedster Clymer Scrapbook Nr5 p180.JPG

200 pages - Yes, all done on a whim because I really enjoy period images and know some friends did too ( thank you to all who have contributed and pretty much have kept it on track/topic as well which is most appreciated) Thanks especially to my good friends Tim, Al, John , and Colin from England who have contributed the most and taken the time to do so. I think it may have accomplished what I set out - to Relieve some of the stress because we all "get lost" in the photographs we are viewing. Feeling good looking at old iron.

To all of you , my sincere best wishes for continued good health for you and yours. Our bond is the old cars, old vehicles - we are a community of history and preservation. Thank you so much and a huge THANK YOU to AACA for putting up with all of this - posting these photos is not done for free and I know we blew out the limit of what could be posted image wise weeks ago! 😮

To quote the late vaudeville comedian Ted Lewis " Is everybody happy?"  Stay well all and look forward to the day we can once again roam around behind the wheel of our cars that have running boards.

With pride and friendship to all.

Walt

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

'28 Kissel sedan.  I have had the heart throbs for Kissel Gold Bugs for many years, and there is no known medication for this problem -- short of actually owning one.  However this '28 Kissel sedan looks pretty good too.

28 Kissel Sedan Clymer Scrapbook Nr5 p181.JPG

• Like 1