Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

4 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A.J. Thanks for the good close-up still, coach-builder?

'30 Pierce-Arrow Series A conv sedan - body by Rollston d.png

windshield looks Dietrich,  but Door handles don't.  Rear door window looks Rollston to me.   We need one of our Rollston guys to pass judgement on the door handles.

7 minutes ago, alsancle said:

windshield looks Dietrich,  but Door handles don't.  Rear door window looks Rollston to me.   We need one of our Rollston guys to pass judgement on the door handles.

Yes, We do need a coach-builder identification expert to weigh in...Walt?     I checked my Dietrich sources, could not find the exact handling of the windshield frame/cowl molding.  Seems if Rollston generally mounted their distinctive door handles below the belt-molding, the hinge placement looks right, and the proportions struck me as Rollston.   

5 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A.J. Thanks for the good close-up still, coach-builder?

'30 Pierce-Arrow Series A conv sedan - body by Rollston d.png

It’s going to be Dietrich. Would you like to know where the car was found in 1971? Or where it is today? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Renowned for craftsmanship, Pierce-Arrow couldn't survive the ...

This car ended up in a junk yard in New Jersey in 1946. It was cut up, and the engine was installed in a boat.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Search | Search | [Portrait of a man leaning on a car] | Charlie ...

Pierce Arrow of course. Series 80 I think, likely '26 or '27 I don't claim to be an authority on Pierces, but I loved the '25 Series 80 sedan I had years ago)?

Of particular note on this car, is the Owl Lite mounted on the radiator neck. We had a short discussion awhile back about the Owl Lites (mostly by me, but started by someone else). Here you can see how the lamp hangs from the bracket which is mounted to the radiator neck. The brackets had a three point swivel allowing the lamp to turn right, left, and up, down. It was controlled by a long rod that went from the top of the lamp to through the dash where the driver would control the lamp by pushing/pulling or twisting the handle. Some automobiles required a "tube" to be installed running through the top tank for the control rod to pass through.

I can't tell for certain if that is Charlie Chaplin or not. The watermark indicates the photo is from "The Chaplin Archives". However, the extreme shading on the face makes me unsure of the man's identity. The stance suggests it may be Chaplin, how he often behaved when not in his "Little Tramp" character.

The more I look at this picture, the more I think this is likely Douglas Fairbanks Sr. He and Charles Chaplin were good friends for many years.

Edited by wayne sheldon
Additional thought. (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I will look at my period photos to confirm the door handles, windshield etc. But I too think it is Dietrich. I can't wait to see the Dietrich book in print ( life of Ray Dietrich ) by Nisah Furman.

AND, please,  I am not an expert( but thanks for the compliment) , I don't believe there is such a thing, there is always a bit of information or a image or photographs lurking around waiting to be found and then shared ( or horded if you are of that ilk 😒) . Just look at what we have been treated to to see here with more coming every day. SO many knowledgeable people, so much great stuff that I had never seen before, all because of you who are reading this, not me. I just started the ball rolling and it was all of you who made it pick up speed. I am a bit swamped here at the moment - just rediscovered hundreds of photographs that never got transferred to the new location of my study/library from the basement when I got the new room on the 2nd floor finished  going on 20 years ago.

Walt

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, edinmass said:

This car ended up in a junk yard in New Jersey in 1946. It was cut up, and the engine was installed in a boat.

Now that is a shame!   You don't see too many attractive Pierce Arrows like that.  HeHe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1