element for old glass bowl fuel filter

jw1955buick

2 minutes ago, TTR said:

Neither element in these is identical to nor will work inside the one in the OP.

I realize they are different. Just suggesting that the OP look for something on Ebay that MIGHT work in place of the unit he already has. Those were not the only items on Ebay.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I realize they are different. Just suggesting that the OP look for something on Ebay that MIGHT work in place of the unit he already has. Those were not the only items on Ebay.

With all due respect, I suspected you knew, but I'm often thinking that others reading theses threads may not and therefor (like you) try to suggest readers not to take everything they see on interwebs/forums at face value, no matter how authoritative the source MIGHT appear (including me 😉). 

• Like 1

I am heading out to the garage. I will check but I am pretty sure there no filter in mine. I keep the tank full so scale doesn't form and I buy fuel at a busy place. What do you think you are going to catch in that filter?

After nine years I opened my carb because the car was running rough. I expected alcohol bug colonization, goo, stringy crap, and all I found was clean.

002.thumb.JPG.21a8793a1fbdf4996944de92b7a977a4.JPG

The problem was my second new condenser. On the old cars I don't even think much about changing oil filters. Once I took my used oil to a radiator shop that had a waste oil burner. The guy said "Wow! This looks clean". I am sure he put it in his truck.

I've been using these successfully for nearly 40 years & hundreds of thousands of miles in variety of vintage vehicles, but then again I like to drive my (vintage) cars extensively and maintain/service them accordingly. 

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

I have one like this on my '56 Caddy.  As stated above, these elements are pretty easy to find on eBay.  JEGS sells new ones.   It may take a little research to find the right one.  Installation is straightforward.  The new stone will come with a gasket,  and you just put it in there and tighten the tension screw until it is firmly seated.

10 hours ago, jw1955buick said:

Got two of these, came with my’55 Buick special, neither had any stone type or material filter of any kind, looking for anything that would just function for this, I don’t know how you’d secure something in there 

I’m hoping someone has a fix

25E15681-5ED4-4693-A4AE-AB25700B7087.jpeg

7B09544E-EAE6-45DA-8B72-731D37EF8942.jpeg

On some, the filter stone was held up against the gasket by a coil spring that sits in the bottom of the sediment bowl.  For the paper element one I think they are  just a snug fit between the gasket and the bowl bottom.

See if this fits in your filter bowl. Scroll down for the measurements.  https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FIL3943

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Why?  These filter just fine. If there is enough debris in the tank to clog this filter it will clog any filter. 

My thoughts. Where are you getting this crap to filter out?

In the 1990's I was driving a '56 Olds with a lot of very fine rusty slit in the gas tank, only really dirty tank I ever had. I'd pull the plugs and the tips were orange. Ran great, no problems.

• Like 1

A few reasons, they work great as a sediment bowl and a filter all in one, the fewer splices the better in any fuel line 

the application it’s going on is a truck I’m resurrecting, guy did the tank about six years ago then pretty much never drove, it does run barely and drive, it’s got a cheapo plastic filter on it now 

F1DC6C13-E666-4141-B602-95E27207C4DF.jpeg