Slush Mold Cars value question

Mark Gregory

I am wondering about the popularity of these cars as they really are not a precision built Model Toy.

I was told that they could be bought for a dollar at the Dealership in the day.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/VTG-Slush-Toy-Diecast-Car-Kansas-Novelty-Co-60-1931-REO-Royale-Victoria-Green/402050965051?hash=item5d9c1ade3b:g:NtMAAOSwc2ZeK9~L

Below is a Model Toy of my 1931 Reo Royale Victoria the seller wants $80 US for it. Is that a good or bad price ?

http://www.slushtoycars.com/Slush_Toy_Cars/Slush_Mold_Cars.html

Fam

Barclay, Best Toy & Novelty Factory, Kansas Toy & Novelty Company, Lincoln White Metal Works, C.A.W.(Charles A. Wood), Mid-West Metal Novelty MFG.Co.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

Mark, the Reo is a slush cast toy, and the tires are new. These cars were toys available  usually from the 5 and 10 cent store. If the car does not have any stress cracks, it is a good buy.  Promotional models were around from the Twenties, but the first popular promotional was the 1934 Studebaker President Land Cruiser. It was available at the Chicago Worlds Fair from the Studebaker Pavilion  . The car  was slush cast, and was sold there for Twenty Five Cents, and came with a box commemorating the occasion. It was made by The Banthrico/National Products Company,  a Chicago company which produced toy banks. The Land Cruiser promo was such a big hit with visitors of the Fair, that Studebaker had Banthrico/National Products make promos for them for the next several years. 

With the success of the toy Studebaker, many other car companies had promos produced for dealers to give away as gifts to potential buyers. They were, along with brochures, a very effective way of selling cars.Promotional models could be bought at the dealers. The Reo is a nice piece. Good luck.

John

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 12:39 PM, Mark Gregory said:

Below is a Model Toy of my 1931 Reo Royale Victoria the seller wants $80 US for it. Is that a good or bad price ?

It is just like your car and the guy wants what a quart of paint would cost. I bought a Corgi 1964 Buick Riviera with a prism that makes the headlights and taillights glow. Probably close to forty years ago and I have no idea what I paid for it. When you buy good stuff you forget prices. When you don't buy something you remember the exact price forever.

Bernie

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

The green money amount is a sold item.

In earlier years of Ebay the green was for sold items and red was for unsold. That was also for "Reserve Not Met" It got so your monitor screen looked like it was hemorrhaging and they changed "unsold" to black to be more tasteful. Well, maybe not tasteful, less shocking?

• 1 month later...