Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale starts tonight on the Motor Trend network...

Lebowski

We have been pretty much frozen in for a few days so I thought I would watch a little of the auction on TV. Every time I switch to the channel there is a commercial on. It is probably me or something related to my age, but when I switch to a channel and find yet another commercial on the pay TV, I just move on. Saw one car sold, don't remember what it was, maybe a Mustang. I am doing quite well in reading Aboriginal Occupation of the Lower Genesee Country by George H. Harris, a reprint of an 1884 book.....for the third time.

Thinking about riding down to the Atlantic City auction in February. Not that great, but a nice winter weekend break.

Bernie

I have the auction on, can't really sit and watch it for more than 10-15 minutes at a time, I'm doing other things. The thing that this year is missing is "Star or Feature cars" . There used to be a few big featured vehicles like the GM Futureliner, original Batmobile, Ford Trimotor etc. What was the top seller this year? The world sure has enough $200.000.00 Mustangs and Camaros, Sunday Cars & Coffee must be getting crowded. Bob 

Watched a few hours of BJ yesterday on-line, little or no commercials/breaks, and you don't have to deal with the "color commentary", which for the most part echos the details in the auction listing. The nice set of 1930 era classics sold $150K-$180K, included a couple of real beauties. The '37 Cord was a special order, armored, sidemounts, etc, a one-off, like some say, rare but not necessarily extra valueI I liked very much the 1963 Aston Martin DB5, sold for 600K!  I wonder if James Bond had not driven one if these would be so popular? Some very nice Porsches including a 1961 era 356B, and a recent high ender that ticked $900K. Also liked the selection of Ford GT's, most with virtually no miles on them. As someone said, a lot of money floating around, lots to choose from, still surprised people are seemingly eager to pay $250K or more for resto-mods. My vote for "ugly duckling" goes to the yellow rodded Diamond T Truck, only a mother could love at $40K.  

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

We have been pretty much frozen in for a few days so I thought I would watch a little of the auction on TV. Every time I switch to the channel there is a commercial on. It is probably me or something related to my age, but when I switch to a channel and find yet another commercial on the pay TV, I just move on. Saw one car sold, don't remember what it was, maybe a Mustang. I am doing quite well in reading Aboriginal Occupation of the Lower Genesee Country by George H. Harris, a reprint of an 1884 book.....for the third time.

Thinking about riding down to the Atlantic City auction in February. Not that great, but a nice winter weekend break.

Bernie

Just set your DVR to record. I can usually replay what I want to see in less than 1/2 hour skipping all the commercials, non interesting cars and charity drama. Oh, I almost forgot, listening to that commentator that spills out misinformation and seems to have owned every car or his parents owned and all his H/S back seat experiences. Steve Magnante is OK, but even he gets things wrong sometimes. The engine room camera man seems to be asleep, way slow off the mark-when, if, he even gets off the mark.    

DVR Saves a bunch of time. 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

Why is it every time I see a car coming up on the block I may like to see they go to commercial?  
the dvr process is good but I guess I need to go on-line and figure out how to record that so I can fast forward to what I want to see. 
At least it’s not another reality show where turkeys are cut throats to win money— or is it?  
Have fun

Dave S 

23 hours ago, JACK M said:

Here is part of the description, I don't really think this is an original car, A good price yes, But is restored or refurbished.

"The exterior wood and interior were recently redone. This is very original car."

Nevertheless, that car should have brought twice that much. I could sell it in a few weeks at $39,900.

A few years ago I was recovering from surgery and a Buick Club friend came over to Bernie Sit for a while. He was into the auction shows so I watched with him. Once I caught the rhythm I noticed how frequently the announcer brought the house into an uproar by shouting "He's dropped the reserve!" the repetition caused me to recall a similar pattern.

Same script writer?